turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Couple of new slates.

Started by callmakerman, March 08, 2020, 08:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

Picked up two new slates from Travis Wyatt and also turned one myself. Travis made two black slates out of that real nice hackberry that he has. I told him I wanted the black slate as I didn't want a slate that sounds like a glass call. It's just me but I wanted that old school slate sound that only the black slate can give. Seems like every pot sounds the same these days and it's hard to find that softer slight rasp call we all started with back in the day when I hunted the HS green pot slate. Thank you Travis for building these two as I know it drove you crazy but you did a great job. The last call is a black locust slate/slate that I turned a week or so ago. I had a nice board of it and liked the way it looked so a gave it a go. Glad I did as it turned out real nice and very happy with the sound. Travis is very underrated IMO with his call making but some of that may be by design as he just like building calls and having fun. Nothing wrong in that. Thanx for the look and putting up with the rant.

EZ

Three killer calls right there. I agree Bill, Travis does seem to travel below the radar, lol.

Harty

Three sharp lookin calls. Thanks for the look!

sbbow

Good looking calls Bill. Travis is definitely someone people need to look at his calls are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twyatt

Thanks Bill!  The pleasure was all mine.  I always enjoy our conversations, and I appreciate the opportunity to make you a call.  That Locust is sharp!  Looks great!

And yes lately I've purposely tried to fly under the radar, with 2 young kids and a full time job, my shop time has become pretty limited and I just don't have time to make more than a few calls a week. 

PEte_A

Great looking pots! The strikers look mighty fine as well  ;) ;)

beardhunter87

My glass over slate Walnut is one of my favorites now. Originally wanted a slate from him but went with the glass. Those hackberry peices look amazing

Greg Massey

Nice looking pot call, hard to beat that old slate ..

Harty

And yes lately I've purposely tried to fly under the radar, with 2 young kids and a full time job, my shop time has become pretty limited and I just don't have time to make more than a few calls a week.
[/quote]

Priorities! I certainly respect that Travis and others that put them in the correct order.

TKE921

Very nice looking calls.  As you know, when a bird just won't cooperate I always pull out the bocote slate you made for me and make things happen.

bear hunter

M,Yingling

looks like u got some good ones ,, nice work on black locust don't see many calls turned from it
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Brantleyville

Very nice, thanks for sharing Bill. I agree that an old school slate is hard to find with the calls today. My money is on that you have them now in some great looking wood combo's.

callmakerman

Quote from: PEte_A on March 08, 2020, 11:32:36 AM
Great looking pots! The strikers look mighty fine as well  ;) ;)
Thank you and the strikers are three that I hunt with at all times.

Sir-diealot

Nice looking calls. I intend to get a call from Travis by the 2021 season, can't right now but I have heard so much good about his calls I would like to get something from him.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."