OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey gun for <10 year old

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, March 07, 2020, 06:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: owlhoot on March 07, 2020, 12:52:33 PM
Good deal that gives you some options.
Been 16 years since my youngest got his first turkey, somethings you won't forget.
So thanks to you and all the new Dads for bringing this subject up and helping us old guys remember these times once again.

Good luck and post up them pics of his first big turkey kill
Gotta keep it going in my opinion. More memories I can make with my two boys the more I'm going to try my hardest to do. You always hear dont miss them growing up. I try my hardest not to but man it's still flying by

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bowguy

It does fly by. Good luck and remember don't push or scare him.

Zilla

I set up an old single shot 410 for my 9 year old daughter a couple of years back. I put a Limb Saver recoil pad and a Burris FF3 on it. Patterned it with 7/8 oz of 9 1/2 shot TSS. I believe the gun weighs in at 5 1/2 lbs. We practiced dry firing with snap caps off a tripod from inside a blind at a jake decoy. The gun patterned 180 inside a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. She's killed several with it. Recoil is very minimal. I've killed my last few birds with the same gun.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: Zilla on March 07, 2020, 02:42:10 PM
I set up an old single shot 410 for my 9 year old daughter a couple of years back. I put a Limb Saver recoil pad and a Burris FF3 on it. Patterned it with 7/8 oz of 9 1/2 shot TSS. I believe the gun weighs in at 5 1/2 lbs. We practiced dry firing with snap caps off a tripod from inside a blind at a jake decoy. The gun patterned 180 inside a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. She's killed several with it. Recoil is very minimal. I've killed my last few birds with the same gun.
Wow that's perfect. Sounds like what he needs and then my 3 year old could grow into it

jmart241

I let my grandson practice aiming and squezen the trigger with a snap cap all winter and pellet gun shooting at turkey head target. First shot with 410 was at the gobbler he shot last spring worked perfect. Had the gun on a shooting stick I held fore end and my thumb on back of recoil pad to take some of the kick for him. Goodluck

badwolf

Started my 6 yr old 50 lb grandson with a h&r 410 single shot,  sent the barrel to Sumtoy for a choke, mounted a red dot and put an ati collapsible stock on it. He's hammered 2 gobblers so far with apex 9 shot. Now Stevens has a 410 single shot ready to go. Start him with 2 3/4 loads and slip in the apex for hunting.

huntineveryday

My son shot his first turkey at 6. I had him use my 20 guage 870, loading only 1 shell when getting ready to shoot. We practiced positioning the gun on shooting sticks in a seated position (we hunted out of a ground blind and he doesn't have to work as hard holding the gun on target this way) and practiced picking out where to aim on pictures of turkeys. Then I had him shoot light trap loads at targets from 10-30 yards using the same chair and shooting sticks. He was comfortable with that, and the recoil never bothered him. I didn't mention anything about it when I loaded the turkey load while hunting, but he had so much adrenaline he never noticed the extra recoil. (It was 3" golden pheasant load, not terrible) I asked him about it after, he hadn't noticed the difference.

Had he shown a problem with any step up until the hunt I would have changed plans or held off another year. He shot his second bird at 7 and is ready to go for his 3rd in a few weeks! Good luck, whatever you go with!

mbarnes122578

I was wondering the same thing and just saw your thread.  Take a look at this tristar viper g2 youth 410.  Interchangeable chokes, dovetail on top to mount optics, light weight with the minimal recoil of a semiauto.  I think this gun with tss would be an awesome set up.
https://www.tristararms.com/series/youth/viper-g2-youth/#viper-g2-camo-youth-yth-ad-timber

Brwndg

For a 10 year old a single shot .410 is the way to go
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

owlhoot

One thing to add as far as using the 20 gauge.
Choice of loads, the hevi-shot 7's with 1 1/4 oz. apparently kick quite a bit less than Federal Hw 7's.
This was kid tested, 10 year old approved.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: owlhoot on March 13, 2020, 10:40:36 PM
Choice of loads, the hevi-shot 7's with 1 1/4 oz. apparently kick quite a bit less than Federal Hw 7's.
What about 6 year old approved? Lol

1iagobblergetter

I would use a trap load of #6's. Your going to probably want them in close anyway.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Ok thanks for the reply everyone. Letting him shoot today so we'll see how it goes

owlhoot

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 14, 2020, 12:57:55 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on March 13, 2020, 10:40:36 PM
What about 6 year old approved? Lol

Well i don't know about that . That's why there is the .410 and now with TSS there is not a good reason not to use it. If you use a 20 , well depends of the kid , load light loads for practice and turkey load for hunt. They get hurt in either case the road ahead maybe tough.
Big difference in kids now , you got the rough and tumble football, soccer, baseball , bike tumbling kids and then the video game stay in the house type.
The 10 year old is a scrawny girl , but can hold her own on the farm and playground i was told. LOL
Well find out today, bet he will do great.