turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best turkey gun for <10 year old

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, March 07, 2020, 06:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenHunter21

Looking to buy my 6 year old a reliable but not expensive Turkey gun. He wants it camo lol wjays your suggestions? I think a 20 gauge would just be too much for him right now so I assume a 410?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Moss berg makes a fantastic 410 pump, comes in camo. Great for new hunter. I tought hunter Ed for over 20 years. Pumps are a great starter gun for youths. TSS #9 will take care of business with a 410. Pay attention to state regulations, as some states do not allow 410's, and shot smaller than #7. Be safe, good luck.
"Solo hunter"

Happy

I would say it would depend more on the size and build of your child as well as their personality. Some kids are scared to death of recoil and need to be slowly worked into it and some are just fine with it. I know that by age 8 all of my children as well as the kids that hang out at my house are at least shooting .22's and .410's. By eleven or so they don't bat an eye at .223's and .243's as well as a 20 gauge. I think getting them shooting early is key as well as not throwing any surprises at them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Start them early. Build them up to it.
You will not want to work on getting a kid back on track after they have been exposed to too much, as a guy i know did with his kid.
Taking a more experienced and slightly older kid along with the new shooter can help.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Right, well he is 6, maybe 60 pounds soaking wet lol not too big but is dying to go with me he. Took him and his bb gun last year but really want him to be able to shoot this year.

Bowguy

Quote from: Tom007 on March 07, 2020, 06:50:44 AM
Moss berg makes a fantastic 410 pump, comes in camo. Great for new hunter. I tought hunter Ed for over 20 years. Pumps are a great starter gun for youths. TSS #9 will take care of business with a 410. Pay attention to state regulations, as some states do not allow 410's, and shot smaller than #7. Be safe, good luck.

I don't want to detract what you're saying, a 410 w TSS might be a viable option in this one particular case BUT a 410 is absolutely not a great starter gun. You either miss or rat hole em often. It can be demoralizing to a kid. A stationary target, say a 15 yard turkey head or a soda can yes. Just be clear there is a giant difference.
Now as I always post, the best gauge very often for a kid is a 28. They sell turkey chokes for em but no specific turkey guns that I know of.
A small child needs some forgiveness. A 28 gives you some, a 410 does not. It's 1/2 small and often choked to keep the minimal pellets together.
A 28 is vastly superior when it comes to wing shooting. A 410 an experts gun.
The op needs to decide a few things. One how physically strong is the child? If strong enough a semi could work, it's heavier.
If on the weaker side perhaps a pump. Easier to swing n carry. Now we need to address recoil. How sensitive is the kid? If you don't know don't test him. Start e a 22. Use inner and outer hearing protection. Less noise makes "felt recoil" seem less.
Once that's mastered, a light target load w shotgun would be recommended. Go at the kids pace, don't push em.
Once that's done the op needs to pattern/sight in gun ALONE. Do not allow that young kid to shoot anything but a light load. Give him his turkey loads opening morn. He'll never know.
Remember felt recoil is affected by Shell, payload, action, weight of gun, stance, drop in stock and noise can add or detract to sensation. Only the op can answer these questions but if you tell us more perhaps we can add more advice.
Anyone that answers this particular gun worked for my son surely doesn't know your son and if it'll work best.
Stay away from a 410 imo unless it's only gonna be a turkey specific gun. We get one chance at hooking em. Don't scare or frustrate them away

owlhoot

Yep best to go .410. Get a good tripod if you don't have one already.
Weight in a gun will be the best bet so auto would be best, pump or double next singleshot last.
Go TSS for him. Nice thing about now is you can get an auto or pump 410 , put a red dot on it for him and it will be good for a long time. Dad can use it too.
My youngest was a small fella too, .410 to start and at 8 years he shot an 870 youth 21" with a red dot, Hevi 6's 3 inch. Used to put my arm behind him to catch him as it would step him back one or two. Would have been nice to keep him in 410 TSS but that was a few years back. He never complained about the 20 though.
Good recoil pad helps.
Be prepared .When he's gonna shoot you may get more riled up then him!

ThunderChickenHunter21

Yes he ain't the biggest kid, maybe 60 pounds, hes in kindergarten and all he has ever shot is his bb gun. So never experienced recoil. He doesn't do really well with pain lol but all he talks about is getting a Turkey with me. Hes super excited and wanted to shoot last year but knewt a gun would knock him down lol. Still iffy on even letting him shoot the 410 honestly. Like yall said, I dont want to scare him away from it

owlhoot

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 07, 2020, 10:56:40 AM
Yes he ain't the biggest kid, maybe 60 pounds, hes in kindergarten and all he has ever shot is his bb gun. So never experienced recoil. He doesn't do really well with pain lol but all he talks about is getting a Turkey with me. Hes super excited and wanted to shoot last year but knewt a gun would knock him down lol. Still iffy on even letting him shoot the 410 honestly. Like yall said, I dont want to scare him away from it

With you on that. I wouldn't think the .410 , in the auto especially will be a problem.
Do you have anything else he can shoot? Rifle wise for noise and recoil.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: owlhoot on March 07, 2020, 11:07:35 AM
Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 07, 2020, 10:56:40 AM

With you on that. I wouldn't think the .410 , in the auto especially will be a problem.
Do you have anything else he can shoot? Rifle wise for noise and recoil.
Not anything he could shoot, so you think no on the single shot 410?

owlhoot

Like was said depends on the kid. He might and should be fine 2 1/2" loads to get used to shooting.
Sounds like he is exited to go so that will help
Tss load turkey time.
As far as the gun , depends on the weight , recoil pad , most single shots have neither.
If worried about recoil the single shot is the worst choice.
Which one you thinking about?

1iagobblergetter

I'd go with the 20g.youth 870 or Mossbergs youth 20g.
I think it all depends on if he has been familiarize with shooting at all.
Worse case a single shot.410 and call em up close
Some kids pick up on it real quick also and some don't.
I set up targets in the back yard for my son to shoot with a B.B. gun most of the year.
I think a Burris FF2/or 3 is a great aid for kids along with shooting sticks or some type of rest.
Good luck. A child learns alot out there whether they get one or they dont. Trust me my son and i have had many highs and also some lows with this year being his last youth season and his first when he was 6.
First lesson he learned was no I'm not carrying you..  ;D  :icon_thumright:

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 07, 2020, 12:17:05 PM
I'd go with the 20g.youth 870 or Mossbergs youth 20g.
I think it all depends on if he has been familiarize with shooting at all.
Some kids pick up on it real quick also and some don't.
I set up targets in the back yard for my son to shoot with a B.B. gun most of the year.
I think a Burris FF2/or 3 is a great aid for kids along with shooting sticks or some type of rest.
Good luck. A child learns alot out there whether they get one or they dont. Trust me my son and i have had many highs and also some lows with this year being his last youth season and his first when he was 6.
First lesson he learned was no I'm not carrying you..  ;D  :icon_thumright:
Lol mine had a hard time with that last year! Thanks everyone for bv the input. Found a youth 870 20 to let him shoot as well as the 410 so maybe we can come up with a solution

Tom007

Best of luck to you and the little guy.... :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

owlhoot

Good deal that gives you some options.
Been 16 years since my youngest got his first turkey, somethings you won't forget.
So thanks to you and all the new Dads for bringing this subject up and helping us old guys remember these times once again.

Good luck and post up them pics of his first big turkey kill