turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My 2011 MN bird

Started by A. Felix, May 10, 2011, 08:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A. Felix

hello all,  I'd like to say that i just found this forum and it seems to be full of great info.  heres a summery of my hunt this year so far.

this year was the most difficult in a long time.  saw lots of hens but no strutters and the gobblers were totally quiet.
last week i helped my cousin take his 2 boys out hunting.  i figured it would take some pressure off him and let me scout to see what the birds were doing(my season was the fallowing weekend)  we passed on a jake or 2 but never even saw a longbeard.
this weekend (Friday morning) i went to the only gobbling bird i heard last week and set up over looking a huge cut cornfield.  i had 2 jakes gobble their way in to 15ft around 7am.  at the same time a flock of birds popped out on the opposite side of the field (300+yds). there were 2 longbeards with several hens. the jakes headed towards the flock and they all went back into the woods.  i never got a shot but now i knew their home address.
sat. morning i slipped in before dark and set up roughly 200yds from the roost tree.  the bird was so fired up i didn't need to call to locate him as he was sounding off every minute or so up on the roost.  i made my first flydown call at 5:45 and the bird was dead by 6:30.  it felt like i was in a hunting video.  i heard him fly down with his hens.  he popped out into the field strutting and drumming all the way (covering 100yds) with his hens cackling and got pounded at 30yds.  it was planned and executed perfectly.  it ended up being my biggest bird yet. 23lbs 12.5" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.  Ive decided to put him on the wall.

his brother is still out there.  I'm thinking of finding a friend to bring down there and try to whack him too.  I think there's surplus tags left.

turkey slayer

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

njdevilsb

Welcome aboard.  Congrats on a good bird.

Hognutz

Congrats on a stud of a bird..Welcome to the O.G... Mike :you_rock: :welcomeOG:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

cannonball

Rio Fan

Nice looking bird, congrats!

A. Felix

wow i'm amazed at how quickly this forum moves.  thanks for all the possative comments.  keep the Q & C coming!

WyoHunter

Congrats on your nice gobbler!  :happy0064:

:welcomeOG:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Wrangler95

:anim_65:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Todd1700

Very nice bird. Congrats!!

bowhunter84

Basser69

Congrats on the whopper of a bird and  :welcomeOG:

Timmer

Congrats from a fellow Minnesotan!  My MN hunt went well too, got a career top 3 bird.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!