turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most popular slate call of all time ??

Started by Bobby5, March 03, 2020, 12:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I'm new to slate calls and I've been trying to decide what slate call to get for my first one. Seems like there's so many choices and different answers. Is there a classic store bought slate call that's been around for a longtime ? Like the reputation the lynch box call has a decent store bought call that's been around forever? 

Loyalist84

There are plenty of decent store-bought slates by folks like Primos or Knight and Hale. However, for the same money you could get a stellar slate from a maker like Nathan Taylor, Mark Cornelius or Dustin Jones with soundfiles to pick from on their facebook pages that will knock any commercial slate out of the park. Only real fly in that ointment is in the waiting time, but prompt ordering will put you in good shape for spring. I just went through the same dilemma myself this past fall/winter. If you really do like the idea of a classic commercial option, something by MAC Calls or Quaker Boy would probably fit the bill and resulted in a lot of turkey meals for my family in the last 20 years.

Greg Massey

My suggestion is look at these custom builders and in not particular order: Mark Cornelius, Buster " Larry Halford, Nathan Taylor, Dustin Jones, John Sinclair, Val Espinoza, Clay Townsend, Chad Remenaric, Kenneth Mullins, Lon Trice, Anthony Fleenor, Chris Brumfiel, Lonnie Sneed most all of these builders are on Facebook..I'm sure people will add to the list

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

outdoors

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 03, 2020, 01:21:59 PM
My suggestion is look at these custom builders and in not particular order: Mark Cornelius, Buster " Larry Halford, Nathan Taylor, Dustin Jones, John Sinclair, Val Espinoza, Clay Townsend, Chad Remenaric, Kenneth Mullins, Lon Trice, Anthony Fleenor, Chris Brumfiel, Lonnie Sneed most all of these builders are on Facebook..I'm sure people will add to the list
Some good choice right here  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MDTOM84

Matt k

Hard to beat a Dawkins in a plastic pot

Happy hooker

A slate that seems to be forgotten is a lon trice 'lonzo' birdseye maple slate
This is a former DD Adams winner and it sounds great,,very affordable I'm betting if you got hold of him he would have some. Makes all the sounds a slate call is known for.

va longbeard

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 03, 2020, 01:21:59 PM

Great list there I would add Paul Durham and Darrin Dawkins they make great slate calls!

Also have to add Paul Platz and Clint Corder but there next to impossible to get two of my absolute favorite slates are from them.

jordanz7935

A lot of great suggestions here but your not gonna find any of them at a store,(other than Macks PW) and I wouldn't classify any of them as classics other than Sneed and Mabry. Id have to recommend a Cody 2 slate. Definitely a "classic"! You're gonna be hard pressed to find a better sounding slate for $40. Cody also makes the Envy slate and woodsman  slate in same price range.Other than those, Woodhaven Legend slate is a great sounding call also.

Upfold99

Look at midwest turkey calls.

The new owners seem to be great people and easy to deal with.

RND1983

If we are staying true to the topic, I would dare say the Primos Ol Betsy is one of the most popular slate calls of all time. Obviously there are much better custom calls out there, but I would imagine that most turkey hunters at one point or another had this slate call in his/her vest.

bbcoach

Quote from: RND1983 on March 03, 2020, 05:16:31 PM
If we are staying true to the topic, I would dare say the Primos Ol Betsy is one of the most popular slate calls of all time. Obviously there are much better custom calls out there, but I would imagine that most turkey hunters at one point or another had this slate call in his/her vest.
Believe it or not, this is my GO TO call!  It has been the demise of many birds for me and has a Grand Slam to it's credit.  And while we are staying true to the topic, a $15 call IMO is as Good as any $200 call.  It's about what you get responses to and have CONFIDENCE in.

Tom007

I have an original Cody Spec 1 from 1994. Number 168. I believe this could be one of the best slates of all time. All turkey, soft, loud, tree Yelp, cackle. I love it, would not part with it. Be safe, be well.
"Solo hunter"