OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

GROUND BLIND QUESTION

Started by saltysenior, February 28, 2020, 06:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

How do you tell if someone is inside ??

Happy

Do your best impression of a constipated cougar. Stand back and watch.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

If you are not sure stand a safe distance and angle away (Get behind a tree if you can) and say "Hello in the blind"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LaLongbeard

why would you care? Is it your turn to watch the decoys?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

MK M GOBL

Good pair of binos? Windows open or closed? Decoys set? Hearing calling? Guess it would depend on situation, If I see a blind on public I just head the other way, never know that if they're not there when are they going to show up. And I have seen them left on public, usually buying cheapest blind they can find. We really don't use the blinds on public and if a decoy only hens, mostly always shotguns and run & gun hunts. On private, yup that's my blind and shouldn't ever be anyone in it.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Most all turkey hunters carry small pair of binos.  and my suggestion is look and see if anyone is in the blind form safe distance , or like others have said , just avoid it all together..

saltysenior

due to obligations at home I have not hunted in 4 years....Wends. I scouted on public land and came across 3 blinds that where most likely left from deer season..avoiding these and other blinds surely will limit my movement.....I avoid an area where a truck is parked , but that not proof some one was not dropped off, or walked in another way.....isn't there a universal display for an occupied blind.??

Southerngobbler

I would assume if there's no decoys out front there's no one home.

Greg Massey

Quote from: saltysenior on February 28, 2020, 07:25:42 PM
due to obligations at home I have not hunted in 4 years....Wends. I scouted on public land and came across 3 blinds that where most likely left from deer season..avoiding these and other blinds surely will limit my movement.....I avoid an area where a truck is parked , but that not proof some one was not dropped off, or walked in another way.....isn't there a universal display for an occupied blind.??
NO.. but i would think if the windows are open , then it has not vacancy .. your approach and deciding if anyone inside the blind is pretty much for you to decide ...

Eddie12

Quote from: Happy on February 28, 2020, 06:29:52 PM
Do your best impression of a constipated cougar. Stand back and watch.

Ha Ha Or a mothman scream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stoeger M3000

saltysenior

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 28, 2020, 07:38:33 PM
Quote from: saltysenior on February 28, 2020, 07:25:42 PM
NO.. but i would think if the windows are open , then it has not vacancy .. your approach and deciding if anyone inside the blind is pretty much for you to decide ...
two of the blinds had windows open but w/ screens closed...in PA don't you have to notify of your presents with a display of Orange ??

Spitten and drummen

Open the door and say "hello"!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

2eagles

Good question. A guy in black back in the corner where he should be probably can't be seen even with binos. I'd skirt the blind quietly or blow a locator call. (Blinds in Iowa are not required to have orange except during shotgun deer season.) If I'm in my blind please don't sneak up and beat on my blind, I'm probably napping, or you'd better have a roll of TP for me to use.

KYFrid

That you Quavers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

If you see a random blind in the woods it's a good idea to remove all clothing so you are easily identifiable and approach slowly while blowing an owl call. If the blind is occupied it's customary to stand there and make conversation about weather and current events.

If the blind is unoccupied I recomend entering the blind and droping a deuce in the corner as a signal to the blind owner there is another Hunter in the area.