OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

have you ever just showed up and started hunting?

Started by hotspur, February 28, 2020, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I have done it a few times. Once just showed up and heard a gobbler respond to a woodpecker as soon is I stepped in the woods, another area I killed a gobbler fifteen minutes after stepping in the woods, and returned the next year and killed another 30 minutes into the hunt. 2 gobblers and only set foot in there 2 times . Been awhile since I've just showed up but wont be scouting so keeping fingers crossed,will be fun no matter what. Anyone pulling one of these this year?

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

Rzrbac

For a long time I did very little scouting. Birds used to be plentiful and a little less educated than the few that are still left. I've had some pretty quick hunts and some of them started as soon as I've got out of the truck. One that comes to mind was just prior to a big storm coming in. My first spot was crawling with hunters so I drove to another spot just prior to a storm. The thunder already had one gobbling when I got out of the truck. He came quick and I never had a drop of rain fall on me. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, lightening was pretty bad but it worked out. I guess if it would have struck me, I would have went out doing what I love.

hotspur

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 28, 2020, 03:19:49 PM
For a long time I did very little scouting. Birds used to be plentiful and a little less educated than the few that are still left. I've had some pretty quick hunts and some of them started as soon as I've got out of the truck. One that comes to mind was just prior to a big storm coming in. My first spot was crawling with hunters so I drove to another spot just prior to a storm. The thunder already had one gobbling when I got out of the truck. He came quick and I never had a drop of rain fall on me. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, lightening was pretty bad but it worked out. I guess if it would have struck me, I would have went out doing what I love.
great story , cool

hotspur

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Yes , first time hunting Missouri ... and other places ...

ArkyRidgeRunna

Used to never scout. Just show up at daylight get on a high spot and see whats there.

Tennessee Lead

Every time I go that's what I do.
I don't go roosting the night before or go scouting to find where they're at .
I get up high and wait for a gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Yes, a few of my spots this happened. And now, these spots are consistent year after year..... be safe guys.....
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Yep.

West Virginia
Wyoming
Maryland
Pennsylvania's northern tier
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

hotspur

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on February 28, 2020, 05:57:12 PM
Every time I go that's what I do.
I don't go roosting the night before or go scouting to find where they're at .
I get up high and wait for a gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
used too when I first started

MK M GOBL

Pretty much what my out-of-state hunts are, learn as you go. I do look up some mapping then it boots on the ground. In state I have been hunting same area for the past 18 years and have them farms down. Once in a while things change but I'm always scouting home turf. Hit a new piece last year with a buddy, part of his families farm and he had never turkey hunted it, few hours into it and we doubled up on them.

MK M GOBL