OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stubborn birds

Started by bdesanto16, May 10, 2011, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesanto16

I have been hunting public land two seasons in a row now and still haven't taken a bird. They gobble on the roost and as soon as they fly down they just disappear. Now i have played the waiting game and tried decoys, calling a little and calling a lot, walking around and still cant strike a hot bird. Believe me between my friend and I have tried everything we can think of. So I am reaching out to others, if anyone can give any tips please do because i am desperate.

Spellnj3

I'm in one of those seasons now, I've got tons of birds, heard at least 10 on the roost yesterday...and they talk and talk and talk but they won't come in to the gun.  that's turkey hunting.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Spellnj3

Sometimes you just have to be lucky...even a blind squirrel finds a nut one in a while!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bdesanto16

Wow, I got recommended to this site for that feed back, I was told there are some real hunters on here. So yeah there is luck in all hunting but i know someone out there has had simalar situations to this. These birds go against what all the books and people say about turkey hunting, now I know someone out there has something better to say than that.

Trevor2

Sounds like they are henned up and you are already doing everything you can to fool that ol tom and bring him to you. Idk anything that you could do differently, other than get close enough to his roost to watch him fly down then swing around and cut him off.
Strutstopper

strutnva

Evening hunting in VA is legal the last 2 weeks, hunt the roost sites that you have heard birds in and soft call, a blind or build one will probably be a good idea to remain hidden.  One hen decoy in front and be ready, very likely to come in silent.  There is no cover-all tatic but should be a good start if you have time to try it.

WyoHunter

My solution to this situation is to observe and see where the birds are heading after they leave the roost and then position myself in their path. It's worked for me in the past in this situation. I prefer to have a bird come to the call but when all else fails I go to Plan B. Remember it's called turkey hunting for a reason and you're not restricted to calling only. Use your hunting and woodsmanship skills to bag this bird!
:fud: :newmascot:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

turkey_slayer

They are just henned up.  I hunt a few places on national forest that get pounded hard.  The birds are still killable and dont shut up cause they are "hunter shy". They shut up cause they already have what they need.  You dont pattern birds here cause they rarely roost in the same spots much less travel the same routes.  Best thing to do is get in as close as possible without spooking them then let them tell you what you want to do.

bdesanto16

Thanks guys, now thats what I am talking about. The only trouble is with a couple things is that it is wide open and then tighter than anything in there and the past two morning i have been they wont even gobble on the roost, could the last couple days of the season be over for me?

Trevor2

Idk bout where you are but my season ends here in tn this sunday at dusk, and ill be after them at least in the mornings all weekend, still gobbling good here or at least they was friday morning lol
Strutstopper

bdesanto16

I am in southeastern Virginia.

Trevor2

Not too awful far apart then, I'm in NE Tn.
Strutstopper

turkey_slayer

Nah its never over till its over lol.  Theres still gobblers gobbling and strutting  with hens here in late june. If they dont gobble on the roost then yes it can be tough.  If its the only place you got then stay with it.  If not I would try a few other spots to find one more willing to die.  Have you tried roosting them in the evening?

bdesanto16

i have tried to stay as late as possible but I am military and so is my wife and I have a 1 year old with one vehicle, not a good combo. I know the birds are there I just need to pull them in, is there anything that is fool proof with a turkey? something they can't stop there self from coming into or gobbling to?

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bdesanto16 on May 10, 2011, 04:40:58 PM
i have tried to stay as late as possible but I am military and so is my wife and I have a 1 year old with one vehicle, not a good combo. I know the birds are there I just need to pull them in, is there anything that is fool proof with a turkey? something they can't stop there self from coming into or gobbling to?

Nope buts thats what fun about it.  Nothing is guaranteed  ;D