turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lost my family hunting spot today

Started by kytrkyhntr, February 26, 2020, 01:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

Start an outfitting/guide business but talk to your attorney and accountant first. 

Buy the land under the business and write that off as an expense going forward.  Improve the hunting - write it off on the company.

Sell a few deer and/or hunts (guided or self-guided) if the land will tolerate it.

There's a house there, yes?  Charge extra for lodging.

Put it on VRBO when you aren't there or hunters aren't there.

Lease out the farming.

All of your hunts and related expenses are written off on the business.

NWTF trip?  write off.
Florida for Osceola?  write off.
Yucatan for Occelated? write off.

get creative.

Dad told me at a young age and I've never forgotten it...they ain't making no more land, get it while ya can, and when it's gone, it's gone.

Chris O

Yeah it's too bad that hunting is becoming a rich mans sport. I am losing some private that is becoming public now I will be over run with people. Better than not being able to step foot on it though for that I am grateful!!!! Good luck this season

Gamblinman

If they are just preparing to sell it, why can't you continue to hunt until until closing? Financing, surveying and title searches will take 60 to 90 days easy, and that's if they have a buyer ready to go.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

GobbleNut

That is a shame, but there is a silver lining.  Look at it as an opportunity to expand your turkey hunting horizons elsewhere. 

wvmntnhick

The club I belong to is owned by a timber company. Hunt a spot a few years and come back to find everything gone but the rocks on the ground. I hadn't much bothered in recent years but looks like I'll have to return this spring/fall. Just lost my good hunting grounds here for the next 2 years due to owners wanting more money from the farmer. To get it, they had to sell the hunting rights. Not a huge deal though. Where there's will and determination, there's a way. Just like you, I'll figure something out. In more recent years it's become more about getting kids involved and enjoying the hunt than myself and the kill. So, life goes on. Good luck to ya brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 27, 2020, 03:36:50 PM
If they are just preparing to sell it, why can't you continue to hunt until until closing? Financing, surveying and title searches will take 60 to 90 days easy, and that's if they have a buyer ready to go.

A cousin who is now one of 3 primary owners wants no hunting on the property until he is bought out or it is sold. He claims some sort of liability reasoning which is whatever. I am moving on and have since this post communicated with some land owners who were generous enough to sympathize with the situation and have granted me permission this season. Plan is to treat land with respect and offer money/labor and whatever I can to ensure I may be allowed to hunt it again. Everything always works out! As for buying the property to the others who have asked I genuinely just can't afford to buy a hunting farm 3 hours from my house as I generally work 50-55 hours a week and many weekends. I will make the best and enjoy my turkey season as usual! Thank you all for the nice words. Best of luck to you all
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

MK M GOBL

Been down the road before and like what has been said... if you don't own it you will lose it. (Knocking on some wood) Been pretty good over the past years, I have some great private land farms to hunt, was kind of worried on one piece I hunt a lot and the landowners son now runs the farm, I did lose a good piece of ground as the owner sold off all the timber and only kept the tillable. We get some of the big city folk buying up the timber and paying way more than land values are around here. They close it off to anyone else hunting it... I did pick up a 400 acre piece 2 years ago, only can hunt late seasons on it but it works out great for me. Farmer has some family that comes early on, I offered to take anyone who wants to go. I found a few "spots" and put them on them and they have been having luck and so have I.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Sounds like things are working out.   I'd be bummed about the old place, but excited about the new property.   I hope it turns out to be a long term deal for you.  Good luck, and enjoy the new adventures. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

yelpaholic

Sorry for the loss of your family member ..

Shakeandbake

:TrainWreck1: I feel your pain, I have lost private spots but ironically have found better spots on public haha

sixbird

Have had this happen in the past. Some has been ownership transfer and some has been other "hunters" being given permission and ruining everything by overpressuring.
My best place currently is owned by my older friend. He's at a place where likelihood is, he's nearing the end. I mean, none of us can live forever.
When that sad day comes, that'll be the end of that place. The farm is already divided and none of his children want to farm it. My special place will be a development and I'll drive by it every day and die a little inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullet1

Hate to hear that... good luck for your future spot!

bear hunter

I hate you lost your hunting spot. lost land i had hunted for 21 years couple years ago. Its never good losing a hunting spot.

Dermott

I lost a great farm in Kansas (160 acres; 240 acres; 160 acres) that I hunted from 1981 thru 2006. My farmer friend and I are still good friends and I taught him how to turkey hunt & called in several for him including his first. Also, I had bird dogs & he hunted quail with me but never got good at wing shooting. I miss hunting his farm but the inevitable occurred — both daughters grew up & married guys that hunt deer & turkey and the girls hunt as well.

I miss hunting there but fully understand it. I took maybe 50 gobblers, 10 bucks & many quail on his farm and I am grateful to have had free run there for so long.

Marc

I have lost more and more hunting spots, as that older generation passes or sells...

Sometimes the new owners are sympathetic to the situation and will continue to allow hunting...  Generally not (especially when land is being sold to larger cooperate farms).  It helps if you cry a little...

Whenever I approach someone for permission, I dress and carry myself appropriately....   I do NOT wear my camouflage hunting clothes, and I have a pre-printed sheet of paper with all of my information (i.e. Name, hunting license, address, phone number, etc.). 

Also, if I can, I take my two little girls with me...  It is a lot tougher to say "NO" with two cute little girls smiling and waving in the back seat (which they have trained to do).  When they get too old to have the appropriate "cute effect" I will borrow someone else's child...  I have been surprised at how much of a difference it makes having them in the back seat sometimes....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.