turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi Population Question

Started by macobb, February 12, 2020, 10:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

Calling on advice for the MS guys. I have been told that De Soto's turkey population has been hit hard and you don't really hear/ get on many birds. I'm just curious is it as bad as it is made out to be. I'm looking into hunting Bienville NF or De Soto NF. All I am asking is which NF has a better hunt able population. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

dublelung

There's still turkeys on Desoto but I'd say they're still well below average compared to a few years ago. Between the 2 you listed there would be no choice which way I'd lean and it isn't toward Desoto.

macobb

I really have no preference of where I am just looking for public land in Mississippi not a WMA with a decent population worth trying. I will be able to hunt March 14-15. I'm just looking for an idea on what general areas have decent number of birds. May be asking too much idk.. if you'd rather pm me I'll take any advice

Spitten and drummen

It seems the population in mississippi has been on a downward spiral over the last 4 or 5 years. No solid data , just having buddies all over the state telling me their experiences along with my own.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

northms

macobb

Staying on National Forest land all i should need is a hunting license and turkey permit right? Also is TSS #9 legal?

FullChoke

License - Yes, turkey permit - not required in MS, and TSS #9 - yes. Make sure that you camp at a designated campground and pay the fees if they apply.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: macobb on February 12, 2020, 05:54:19 PM
Staying on National Forest land all i should need is a hunting license and turkey permit right? Also is TSS #9 legal?

You will be good. DeSoto county is in North MS, DeSoto NF is way down South. It is the thickest mess of stuff with pines only. Very few hardwoods on the creeks. I have yet to find birds in DeSoto NF, however there are a few birds on the WMA's within the DeSoto NF. However some of them are draw permeants, and you'd need a WMA stamp.

Bienville NF gets way more pressure thru the hole season. There are several Draw WMA's within Bienville that have better odds. If you have a license + WMA you can put in until the 15th.... No way of knowing if you'll get picked. First two weeks of just plain NF you will see out of state tags on 99% of the vehicles. It is way over crowded. 

From all accounts any NF land you can find in the Norther part of the state you will be better. I'm in DeSoto and drive 4/5 hours North or West to hunt turkeys.

Good luck.

deadbuck

Also, remember that jakes and bearded hens are NOT legal in Mississippi. We just started a telecheck system so you will need to download the report tag from MDWFP website and comply with that if you kill a bird. Typically the weather is cold and wet at the beginning of our early starting season. It is amazing the number of out of state hunters that come here for opening weekend, as well as the lack of shots heard then. I would say population is on a slow steady decline.

deerhunt1988

That early in the season...If you don't hear gobbling, it doesn't mean they are not around! If you find sign, hunt it.

macobb

I just want to say thank you for everyone responding. I plan to put in for WMA and just see what happens. I have looked into the game check app. I will keep digging on other public land too and truly appreciate the help. Looking at license on the MS page that have a Turkey Permit for $20. What's that about?

silvestris

You need a license and a Turkey permit.  If you hunt a WMA, you will need a WMA license.  You will need a customer number to apply for a Lottery permit.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

deadbuck

In other words, it will cost you $340 to throw your name in the hat for a WMA draw hunt as a non resident. Cant have name entered if you havent already purchased a license. I would rather buy $340 worth of scratch off tickets if i was a non resident before coming here.

deerhunt1988

One more thing to keep in mind... Mississippi will likely receive more hunting pressure opening week than it ever has before. This is due to Alabama pushing their season back to a March 21 opener.

So all the AR, LA, TN, etc. folks that hunted Bama opening week will now be headed to MS.

Quote from: deadbuck on February 13, 2020, 02:02:13 PM
In other words, it will cost you $340 to throw your name in the hat for a WMA draw hunt as a non resident. Cant have name entered if you havent already purchased a license. I would rather buy $340 worth of scratch off tickets if i was a non resident before coming here.
Incorrect.

It will cost you $30 for the WMA permit in order to apply for a WMA draw hunt. You do not have to have the hunting license to apply, just the WMA permit.

FullChoke

Many WMAs in the state do not have a draw hunt in place for the first 2 weeks of the season. Only those WMAs that historically draw a large number of hunters early in the season have them. You still need the WMA permit along with the hunting license to hunt them.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.