OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TurtleSkin gaiters

Started by Heldo, February 09, 2020, 08:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heldo

Quote from: Spurs on February 10, 2020, 09:11:08 PM
Mine were just delivered and I already have them at a seamstress.  Few things I don't like:

1-They ride up bad!  I showed her a few pics of Kuiu and Kenetrek...fingers crossed.
2-The top doesn't really clench up with the shock cord.  She's going to run a 1/4" strap in its place for better strength.

IMO They seem super tough and give me some piece of mind.  I'll post some pics when they are back from the seamstress.

I ordered a pair last night. Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Seems like we have more copperheads than anything on my farm. You can't see them in the leaves for nothing. I've wore some rubber redhead snake boots for quite a few years during turkey season and early deer season before it gets good and cold. They're pretty awful to walk in. Noisy.  Loud. Looking forward to wearing my good hiking boots and the turtleskins this spring.

Coop1082

Curious as well. I'm in deep south AL and wear Danner Pronghorns. Hate walking in them but also hate not having them on. I've been hit by a cottonmouth and a copperhead while wearing some old Muck rubber snake boots. You couldn't pay me to go into the woods without snake protection but I can't stand a snake boot. The Pronghorns aren't what I would deem comfortable. Manageable is what I would say, but I'm look for something I can cut out in and never think "wow my feet hurt".
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

deadbuck

This will be my third season with them. They aren't perfect but they are the best option available right now. I wear them over lacrosse grange rubber boots and yes a snake could bite me on top of my foot. But you know what, if that is how the good lord calls me home I am ok with it.

Gentry

I didn't realize so many people are wearing snake protection. Serious question, do y'all actually see a bunch of snakes while hunting or just like the insurance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brwndg

Quote from: Gentry on February 11, 2020, 08:48:58 AM
I didn't realize so many people are wearing snake protection. Serious question, do y'all actually see a bunch of snakes while hunting or just like the insurance?

I've never worn them but started hunting some new ground that does have rattlers and copperheads. I might be getting a pair. Only takes once getting bitten to make a difference.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Nathan_Wiles

I probably see less than a dozen in a turkey season. I'm not too worried about the ones I see. I wear snake protection so I dont have think about where I put my feet so much when I'm moving in and my focus is on a gobbler not my feet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aclawrence

My brothers were in a club in TN that had so many rattlesnakes that they got out of the club. Some of the members wouldn't even hunt certain areas because there were so many timber rattlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

I think one of the best things about gaiters versus boots to me is the versatility. If I step in a creek and soak a boot I can where my other pair of boots the next day and still have my gaiters. If my wife goes, she wears the gaiters and I'll take my chances. My eyes are much more adapt at spotting the shapes and patterns on the ground than hers are.  I much prefer wearing my hiking boots. Gaiters for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobk

Some years I see a few in the woods. Other years significant   more. I always wear gaiters , Russell or Danner snakeboots. You only need to have one bad encounter.

Spurs

Stepped on a rattle snake in MS one year...my guess is the cool morning had him a little slow or something.  I'd say I run across several dozen rattle snakes/cotton mouths every year.

I'm one of those guys that can follow someone in the woods and hit twice as many spider webs, ten times the ticks, and see a snake over every log.  Just seems to be my nature. :help:
This year is going to suck!!!

dublelung

You must not be from or hunt much in the south? I see more Cottonmouths during turkey season than I usually see the rest of the whole year. I see Copperheads and Rattlers on occasion, but Cottonmouths are the debil in South Mississippi.

Cutt

Don't know much about snake gaitors, never wore them. For those looking, what about these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064REC34/ref=twister_B07VNGQYYZ

They seem to have a pretty good rating, much cheaper, and come in camo, and comes with a one 1,000,000 dollar liability, as they claim?

Spurs

Quote from: Cutt on February 11, 2020, 04:48:57 PM
Don't know much about snake gaitors, never wore them. For those looking, what about these?

They seem to have a pretty good rating, much cheaper, and come in camo, and comes with a one 1,000,000 dollar liability, as they claim?
Weight, heat, and discomfort. 
This year is going to suck!!!

Gentry

Quote from: dublelung on February 11, 2020, 02:05:55 PM

You must not be from or hunt much in the south? I see more Cottonmouths during turkey season than I usually see the rest of the whole year. I see Copperheads and Rattlers on occasion, but Cottonmouths are the debil in South Mississippi.
I live in Louisiana. My ole pappy said if you look for snakes you will find em.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: Cutt on February 11, 2020, 04:48:57 PM

I have these. They work. They are somewhat hot, but most of them are going to be.