OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TurtleSkin gaiters

Started by Heldo, February 09, 2020, 08:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heldo

Who all wears them?  Any negatives?

fallhnt

Ya....the whole kit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Spurs Up

1) Zippers are a little delicate and sometimes difficult especially if gritty or muddy.
2) They are expensive.
3) Don't make them in bottomland camo.

Still...I like my pair.

bobk

- The gaiters do not stay down on your boots. Cutting the clinch strap will eliminate this.

- zipper are light weight.

aclawrence

Same as above. They need some design improvements but seem to still be the best option out there. I've been thankful to have had mine own a few times. Plus they protect your pants from briars and getting wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALongspur

I like mine, zero complaints after two seasons of hard use so far.

I had a local shoe shop install lace hooks on mine to eliminate them riding up.

Heldo

Nice!  Do you have a photo of that? 

BBR12

Been wearing them over 10 yrs and love them.
To prevent them riding up I took a razor blade and made a small incision on the inside of the bottom where the elastic band is. Take a piece of wire or something go through the incision and pull the elastic cord up and cut it.  Did this several years ago and wish I had done it sooner.
Reasons I love them.
1) Piece of mind and insurance of knowing the damage a bite can do.
2) Helps keep bugs(ticks) from coming up pants legs
3) When I get done hunting zip them off and go. If I need to go to the store or whatever I'm not walking around with knee high boots on.
4) Keep lowers legs from being soaked walking through tall grass.
5) Oh and did I say piece of mind.
6) My feet stay dry in my nice leather boots, something they very seldom did with any of the 6 or 8 pair of snake boots I tried.

Pains:  As stated above they can be finicky to zip sometimes, keep them clean with some wax or spray lube and not to bad.
They can ride up until you cut the bottom elastic.
They are not Camo no big deal to me. However I took some black and brown spray paint that I had around and just put some squiggly lines on mine to break up the solid color.

Heldo

Quote from: BBR12 on February 10, 2020, 10:43:34 AM
Been wearing them over 10 yrs and love them.
To prevent them riding up I took a razor blade and made a small incision on the inside of the bottom where the elastic band is. Take a piece of wire or something go through the incision and pull the elastic cord up and cut it.  Did this several years ago and wish I had done it sooner.
Reasons I love them.
1) Piece of mind and insurance of knowing the damage a bite can do.
2) Helps keep bugs(ticks) from coming up pants legs
3) When I get done hunting zip them off and go. If I need to go to the store or whatever I'm not walking around with knee high boots on.
4) Keep lowers legs from being soaked walking through tall grass.
5) Oh and did I say piece of mind.
6) My feet stay dry in my nice leather boots, something they very seldom did with any of the 6 or 8 pair of snake boots I tried.

Pains:  As stated above they can be finicky to zip sometimes, keep them clean with some wax or spray lube and not to bad.
They can ride up until you cut the bottom elastic.
They are not Camo no big deal to me. However I took some black and brown spray paint that I had around and just put some squiggly lines on mine to break up the solid color.

Thanks for this info!
I had a couple questions.

You can cut them with a razor blade? Do you feel confident they'd stop a bite?  Ever jabbed them with a needle?

bobk

I made the cut in the material with metal snips. I have tried repeatedly to penetrate the chaps with needles with no success.  These chaps stop a needle like my Russell snakeboots do.

Photo of cut in back of chap used to cut clinch strap.

LaLongbeard

A sharp pair of scissors or a razor blade will cut them otherwise how would they cut the material to make them? They are two layers of the fabric sewed together no snake will penetrate them. I had mine covered in Greenleaf material and the girl sewing them broke several needles trying to sew thru the material. Along the seams there are tiny little holes were the two pieces were sewed she ended up hand sewing thru the existing sewing holes to attach the material. I used hot glue from Walmart to hold the middle part, held up for years no problems. I've waded mud, water and had them covered in sand never had a zipper problem, maybe they have changed the zippers? First thing I did was remove the elastic band. They are a lightweight option to snake boots, I don't think you could wear them out.
Downsides....gaiters snake proof or not have become a fad in Turkey hunting and it makes me not want to be seen with them on in public.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Brwndg

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

dublelung

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 10, 2020, 12:14:47 PM

Downsides....gaiters snake proof or not have become a fad in Turkey hunting and it makes me not want to be seen with them on in public.

If that's the worst worry you have this season then I think you'll be alright.  :TooFunny:

LaLongbeard

Quote from: dublelung on February 10, 2020, 01:09:14 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 10, 2020, 12:14:47 PM

If that's the worst worry you have this season then I think you'll be alright.  :TooFunny:
I don't know I've had to shave my beard and stop wearing baseball caps. I'm still undecided about selling the 4x4. The thought of being mistaken for one of these new age hipster hero's is a constant fear.   It might just be easier to take up fishing.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spurs

Mine were just delivered and I already have them at a seamstress.  Few things I don't like:

1-They ride up bad!  I showed her a few pics of Kuiu and Kenetrek...fingers crossed.
2-The top doesn't really clench up with the shock cord.  She's going to run a 1/4" strap in its place for better strength.

IMO They seem super tough and give me some piece of mind.  I'll post some pics when they are back from the seamstress.
This year is going to suck!!!