turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 Choke/Round Combo

Started by Big Sky Tom, February 09, 2020, 07:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Sky Tom

I'm turning my Mossberg 500 into a turkey gun. I got a Carlson longbeard choke and some Williams open sights that go on the rail. Next days off I'm going to take a couple of different loads and pattern them. Any recommendations for shells that've worked well for people with that combo of gun and choke? I've read good things about the Winchester Longbeard XR, what are the pluses and minuses of the #4,5 or 6 shells?

On another note I am wondering if I should buy another choke, like a Rhino or Indian creek and compare the two? Is it worth spending the money to do that or do I just see if I find a shell that patterns really well with the Carlson and call it good?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liljake

I have a Mossberg 500 12ga. With the Carlsons LBXR choke and Win. LBXR 3in. 1 7/8 #6 shell it shoots a really great pattern.  I also tried the faster (1200 velocity ) 1 3/4 oz shells and #5s but the 1 7/8 1050 velocity #6 shot the best.
Before buying another choke pattern the long beards.

I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Big Sky Tom

That sounds like a plan. Get the LBXR's in 5 & 6 and see how that does. Just for comparison sake what would be an alternative you recommend?

Big Sky Tom

Can you put the Remington Nitro through that choke? It's lead but it's harder and has some coating on it?

What about the federal 3rd degree? Looks like that has some tungsten in it...

Liljake

Yes, you could shoot those rounds thru that choke, you could also shoot TSS.
I also have 10 & 20ga turkey guns that I shoot hevi and tss in and to be perfectly honest the biggest bang for my dollar has been the Carlsons Longbeard Xr choke and the Longbeard xr #6.
I think I paid less than $50 for the choke tube and a box of shells on sale. I've spent 10 times + that on barrels, choke tubes, and ammo for my other guns. Unless you spend big money and shoot TSS, long beard xr is the only lead load I would use. :z-twocents:
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

lmbunch69

I had great luck with an hs strut untertaker hd choke and longbeard #6s. I hunted it but it was a little too tight for my liking. I'll agree that the 1 7/8 load shot better for me as well.

lowoctane

:morning:
I know yer on the right load/choke combo for that gun..! :camohat:

PS-make sure and keep the choke clean.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Big Sky Tom

Just got the William's Fire Sight's on there. What a pain in the balls with the tiny screws! Looks good now though.

Big Sky Tom

These showed up too. Gonna do some patterning/zero the gun in the next day or two. I'll put up some results.

Big Sky Tom

Big Sky Tom

Big Sky Tom

Big Sky Tom

Big Sky Tom

All those were at 40 yards. #5 and #6 had the same percentage on the paper (I know that's not exactly how you're supposed to do it but paper was 24"x30" so close enough). I just think the #6's had a more consistent pattern and with the splattering targets put more in the kill zone. The Williams Fire Sights are pretty dope. They were pretty close to zero right out of the box. I think I'd kill a turkey either way but I'm gonna go with the 6's.

trkehunr93

Where did you pick up the firesights at?  Looking for a decent sight to replace the bead on my 500.