turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Birds From This Year

Started by Kywoodsman, May 09, 2011, 12:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kywoodsman

This was my fourth season turkey hunting and wasn't successful my first three season mostly because of inexperience and lack of time to hunt. But this year I finally got it done. My first bird this season came the afternoon of April 17th. I was hunting atop a hill in a blind over looking a river bottom I had hunted the past couple years. I had a hen decoy about 20 yards in front of me. After calling at moderate volume off and on for about an hour with no luck so I decided to crank it up a little bit since it was really windy. Sure enough I heard a gobble from what seemed like forever away. After about 15 minutes of trying to work him in without him seeming like he was getting any closer I decided to just shut up and see what happened. Within five minutes I saw him cross on to the property line about 200 yards away with his head up looking. I gave a few yelps, he keyed in on the decoy and came in at a run. I shot him at 25 yards. He had a 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs.
     The second turkey came about 11 a.m. April 27th. I had watched this bird for about a month before season and pretty well knew his habits and had figured out that he showed up on our property between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. just about every day so I decided to try to hunt the woodlot mid morning that day. When I got there he was already gobbling hot a couple of hill sides over. I snuck in as close as I thought I could get, set up and started calling. After a few minutes he was gobbling everytime i hit the slate call and each time he did he was a little closer. After about 10 mintutes he came strutting into view about 60 yards away and got hung up along a fence row on the property line. I couldn't get him to cross at first so I cut off and just waited. He just kept strutting and gobbling along the fence line refusing to cross for about 15 minutes then I cranked out a few yelps on the mouth call and he finally flew across and landed 30 yards away, stuck his head up, and i got a shot off. He had an 11 1/4 inch beard and one spur right at 1 1/2 inch and one just under 1 1/2 inch. I was thrilled to death with both birds and am 100% hooked on turkey hunting for life.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kywoodsman

My Second Bird

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ky strutt n bust n

congrats on two very fine ky birds!

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

JVA54

Hognutz

Congrats on two big butt gobblers..Well done, son...Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

Congrats on two nice birds!!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

bowhunter84

Kywoodsman

cannonball

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

vaturkey

Congrats on 2 great gobblers !!     :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Limbstrutter

Way too go ! Two very nice birds.   
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Last Strut Calls

Great birds! Nice to see Im not the only young one on here!