OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 05, 2020, 07:21:05 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 05, 2020, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: Crghss on February 05, 2020, 06:52:50 PM
In the general public I think the % is much higher for traditional turkey hunting. Hunters on this site have a much lower % of traditional turkey hunting.

First, where can you use bait? Second some states don't let you use blinds i.e. Pennsylvania.

So in PA if you use a decoy you're non-traditional turkey hunter. If you're not using a decoy you're a traditional turkey.
That's an interesting observation. Care to indulge me with further explanation? In particular the impression you have that there is a higher ratio of more "traditional" turkey hunters out in the public hunting than we have here on the forum. Not trying to be a smart alec. Genuinely interested in this observation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In for this explanation.
X2

LaLongbeard

First, where can you use bait? Second some states don't let you use blinds i.e. Pennsylvania.

Texas. Also Chufa patches or anything purposely planted to attract turkeys is bait the fact that you planted it 4months before the season is irrelevant.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

In the general public I think the % is much higher for traditional turkey hunting. Hunters on this site have a much lower % of traditional turkey hunting.

So in PA if you use a decoy you're non-traditional turkey hunter. If you're not using a decoy you're a traditional turkey.

I'm gonna go w the fellows think you're mistaken. I'd bet more knowledge on here than most places.

Crghss

So by definition OP says using bait, decoy or blind makes you a non-traditional hunter. In PA blinds and bait are illegal.

So only hunters using decoys are non-traditional. How many hunters in PA are using decoys? Way less then half of the hunters I meet have a decoy. So they are traditional turkey hunters. Even thought they are totally unaware and know nothing of this silly argument or the labels applied to them.

So in PA over half (or more) of the hunters are traditional.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Cutt

Not sure what the percent would be, but would guess pretty low?

I guess as long as the method one chooses to hunt is legal, it's perfectly okay even though some may disagree? Where as illegal methods like shooting birds off the roost like some do and think nothing of it, is another thing.

I personally think the nowadays the emphasis on killing a turkey is more important than the actual hunt?

I personally just like sitting against a tree with no dekes, and wouldn't want it any other way.To me this is part of the hunt I actually look forward to, and wouldn't want to take this element of the hunt away with a blind or dekes. Sure I have boogered birds in the past this way, and will probably booger more, where if I was sitting in a blind it would increase my chances with less boogered birds, but I except this as hunting. Sure I enjoy killing a nice bird too, but enjoy this part of the hunt too much just to increase my odds.

Crghss

As far as OG members being more non-traditional vs the average hunter.

It's like any hobby or interest. There maybe some casual turkey hunters on this site but most take turkey serious. The more a person values doing something the more you invest in it. That usually means following the latest fads or trends. Reading or watching video's about the sport. Dedicating the money. This IMHO leads to using the latest Technology and techniques which is blinds & decoys.

Like any sport/hobby you have the purest that think things should be done a certain way. Which is fine but they are usually a small % of the serious/fanatic group of participants(hunters). I think this is where most OG member fall under. Which goes to the OP's original question, what is that %.

I just don't see a large % of the average Joe hunter spending the money and hauling gear to turkey hunt. Especially if you weren't taught to hunt that way to begin with.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Hoosier2

To each their own. I still get fired up sitting in a blind over my dsd decoys and having birds work in close. I respect a Dave pinhotti style and have killed birds that way too. I just think whatever fires you up and let's you enjoy the turkey woods do it. But I'd say 15%-25% of hunters hunt the style you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

I only hunt with a rock and stick on public land with no camouflage. Does that count?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Happy

Alrighty then, thanks for explaining. Now try my logic/observations on for size. I live about 15 minutes from the PA line. Have never hunted that state but travelled through it quite a bit during turkey season and converse frequently with a few diehard PA hunters so I have a few observations but will not claim to have as much as you. But anyways here are my general observations considering Southwest PA, Western MD and Eastern WV.
Majority: Start hitting the woods about a week before turkey season, driving trucks around backroads, blaring owl,crow and Turkey calls. Never venturing far from the roads they inventory and pester every Turkey that opens its mouth within earshot of the road. Come opening day they are jamming up parking lots, big jacked up trucks with all kinds of stickers covering the back glass.hunters glaring through the windshields at other hunters that have the nerve to be there. They hit it hard, rushing gobblers on the roost, burning down the woods with their box calls and cutting, sounding like an armored vehicle in a bamboo forest. Loaded down with a vest full of turkey calls, decoys and decked out on the latest greatest camo they give it all they got until 8 or 9am. After that the caffeine and adrenaline wear of and they set out their decoys and sit and call every 5 minutes until about 10 and call it a day. This will continue for a few weeks and then when the turkeys have mysteriously quit gobbling within earshot of the road they call it a year. Hopefully they got enough Instagram and facebook updates.

The 30%ers: These fellows truly enjoy Turkey hunting. They think about it a lot. It's one of their favorite time of the year. They start scouting in deer season. Looking for sign scouting out new areas and figuring out spots to hunt. They have cleared some vacation time. Patterned their guns and are proficient with a call or two or maybe several. These fellows can kill a bird or two pretty regularly, they have nothing against decoys and really are open to about anything that will result in them killing a Turkey as long as legal. Success is defined as a kill and the more the better. They aren't as fashion conscious, having at least figured out some of what works best for them. They still are in love with the idea of being a Turkey hunting master and believe that the more they kill the further up the ladder they will climb.

The few: This person is a different character. Turkeys are on the brain every day. They love them as much as they want to hunt them. There is a respect and a set of "rules of engagement" that this man possesses. I dont believe that every man has the exact same set of rules but they each have some. They want to win and kill a gobbler but only under their rules. They dont care about notoriety or admiration. They only want to hunt turkeys and work it so that they hunt the entire season. Their equipment is chosen because they like it and have confidence in it. You wont hear them bragging or boasting and they have no problem admitting to getting their rear ends handed to them by a gobbler and look forward to a rematch.

Anyways those are my extremely generalized redneck observations. Some fall in between those categories but if I had to break it out then that's about how I would do it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

Well, Happy that's a pretty fair assessment of turkey hunters from my view. I think I've been through most if not all those stages in 47 years.

I might add one more group, those with limitations including age. I somewhat fall into that category. I have killed enough gobblers that I don't need to risk my health chasing another one. I used to go after every bird I thought I could work even if it meant crossing a river. but at this stage I will just listen to him gobble and say, I'll see you another day ole boy. My skill level is just as good as it ever was, but my body is not. For some this means that tactics change and you may find yourself in a blind when you thought you'd never do that. Perhaps this is the traditional hunter, they have a long history and a high skill set and they have developed a set of principles to guide them (these vary from hunter to hunter) and if something is beyond their physical ability then they accept that and just enjoy the fact they got another day in the woods. Make no mistakes, these guys are a gobbler's nightmare if he gets in their zone. His best bet at survival is to get on a ridge far far away. I had to laugh last spring when there was a big hoohaaa over younger hunter's killing more birds. Yeah young man thumb your chest while you are still able to run across multiple hills, your day is coming.

Bolandstrutters

What's sad is that new turkey hunters think that fanning is the only way to kill a turkey.  I took a young man out last year that has fanned a few birds, but wasn't having any luck.  When we got out of the truck with no fan or decoys he was scratching his head.  I ended up calling him in a loud mouth two year in big timber and boy oh boy was he excited.  I really don't care how anyone decides to turkey hunt as long as they are legal, but I'm always game to teach them how fun it is doing it the old fashioned way. 

dublelung

Quote from: King Cobra on February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM
My definition of Traditional Turkey Hunter is one who does not use a blind, bait, or decoys.

Without babbling on and on about something you didn't ask as I'm sure many on here will do I will say, by your definition, I am a proud traditional turkey hunter. Now come on March 15th! :turkey2:

Spitten and drummen

Everyone should read the late Kenny Morgans book " America , Wild Turkeys & Mongrel Dogs." Kenny was a old school turkey hunter and he breaks it down pretty simply. I hunt the way Kenny Morgan hunted. Great read , very informative and very accurate.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rick

Just roost them one evening and shoot them off the limb next morning .
Problem solved ..
Saved By Grace

Greg Massey

Quote from: eggshell on February 06, 2020, 07:32:53 AM
Well, Happy that's a pretty fair assessment of turkey hunters from my view. I think I've been through most if not all those stages in 47 years.

I might add one more group, those with limitations including age. I somewhat fall into that category. I have killed enough gobblers that I don't need to risk my health chasing another one. I used to go after every bird I thought I could work even if it meant crossing a river. but at this stage I will just listen to him gobble and say, I'll see you another day ole boy. My skill level is just as good as it ever was, but my body is not. For some this means that tactics change and you may find yourself in a blind when you thought you'd never do that. Perhaps this is the traditional hunter, they have a long history and a high skill set and they have developed a set of principles to guide them (these vary from hunter to hunter) and if something is beyond their physical ability then they accept that and just enjoy the fact they got another day in the woods. Make no mistakes, these guys are a gobbler's nightmare if he gets in their zone. His best bet at survival is to get on a ridge far far away. I had to laugh last spring when there was a big hoohaaa over younger hunter's killing more birds. Yeah young man thumb your chest while you are still able to run across multiple hills, your day is coming.
AWESOME POST .... I SO AGREE....