OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

I'll go with the 10% guesstimate, as well,...but I will qualify that a bit.  Years ago, it was considered taboo to try to sneak in on a gobbler that you were working.  Back in the 80's, the NWTF even preached about the safety issues associated with doing that and warned turkey hunters to never try to stalk/sneak/crawl a gobbler they were working.

That was considered a part of being a "traditional" turkey hunter at that time.  If you worked a bird, you never did anything that would be considered sneaking in on a gobbler.  I think it is safe to say that particular mantra of a "traditional" turkey hunter has pretty much fallen by the wayside based on what I have seen.

So, if we throw in the "you can't sneak in on them" qualification for a traditional hunter, I suspect that 10% guesstimate probable falls to something significantly less than that. 

Happy hooker

I'm a traditionalist i like it that way but,,,another reason is my back is only so big,, blind,multiple decoys,Turkey chair and all the cool calls we collect, how do you lug it all.

mudhen

Sorry, forgot the required %!

My estimate is between 0-1%...

I bet 99% will run to the turkey gear store if even one of their buddies shoots even one more tom than they do...waaaaaaa, Stinky shot a tom and I didn't, waaaaaaahhhhh!!!!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

jordanz7935

I'd say maybe 5%... I absolutely love turkey hunting and will hunt however I want. I enjoy a 1 on 1 hunt with a boss gobbler in the hardwoods just like everyone else. That said I also enjoy bellycrawling 300 yards to get in front of a henned up gobbler who ignored my "traditional" setup on the same morning. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to killing turkeys. That said you also have to learn to back off and leave em for another day and sometimes, another season. If there's one thing I've learned, is not to get hunt up on hunting 1 particular bird, property, or hunting style. Everybody's brought valid points to this conversation, everything from elitists to wannabes to real blue collar turkey killers chiming in.Let's just try and remember we're all on the same team here and OG is the best hunting forum going, and us members are lucky to have this place. A couple more months and lord willing we'll all be out there doing what we love, the way WE want to.

Ranger

Less than 5% in my mind. Some have disdain for what LaLongbeard and others are saying because to them the opinion doesnt matter, and some don't WANT it to matter but know it really does, because somewhere in them its already mattered. And I hope it has.  And if it hasn't don't wonder what you are, it's too late.  Some want to know what they can do without the "crutches," they just haven't done it yet.  Others use what they use and do what they do and were far removed from the traditional turkey hunting that existed decades ago in the Southeast and Pennsylvania areas almost exclusively.  To most here there is no tradition, that's a big part of the divide and in many eyes the problem, the whole thing is gone about way too frivolously and with a real easy come, easy go cavalier attitude.  To a traditionalist this isn't a game and it's not a t shirt catch phrase, it's a Craft and a true tradition. Not something you change or want to see changed.  Here again, if you have to wonder if you are something or not, you should already know you're not.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

CALLM2U

My opinion means nothing and I'm a newbie here.  But I will leave you with one fact.  I have stopped visiting 4 forums that I was very active on due the drama exactly like this thread.  I like this site.  So please, I beg you, don't make Old Gobbler #5. 

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 05, 2020, 04:18:14 PM
My opinion means nothing and I'm a newbie here.  But I will leave you with one fact.  I have stopped visiting 4 forums that I was very active on due the drama exactly like this thread.  I like this site.  So please, I beg you, don't make Old Gobbler #5.

When you have a large amount of people on any forum , there is drama. We all come from different places and different backgrounds. This place is for the most part drama free but it is not a safe space. Most here are adults and in the end can agree to disagree. Only a few have thin skin and lets some comments trigger them. Like I said in a earlier post , we are all brothers in the end but even brothers disagree and fight at times. I have been here a long time and I have seen post like these several times over the years but most times things work out and there are very few grudges.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Big Pine

I feel my style is somewhat traditional, as in I hunt mostly in the timber with no decoys. I don't have anything against decoys, I've just had a few bad experiences with gobblers seeing them and turning away. I will, however, put a belly crawl sneak on one right quick and in a hurry. I'm just thankful that the good Lord sees fit to allow me to share the woods with such a monarch of a creature, and I hope that everyone here gets the same satisfaction, no matter how they choose to hunt.

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 05, 2020, 11:49:03 AM
As per the usual a point was made and then immediately missed by several. No one is talking about wounded Vets or paraplegics, no one is referring to those with failing eyesight or health.
    The crutch users I'm talking about have no handicaps other than being lazy most times overweight and usually  slow witted. Go hangout at the NWTF convention and see how many wounded Vets are loading up on the turkey fan umbrellas tent blinds and decoys. Really not much of a mystery here.
      People use decoys and blinds or Gobbler fans etc. because it makes killing a Turkey easier period.
    You expect us to believe you spend all that money on decoys not to make hunting easier ,but you just sleep better knowing the owner of AvianX decoys is making a fortune lol.

I'm gonna agree w this 100%. I teach hunter Ed and as I say we're all brothers but the able bodied folks that just want things easy n guaranteed is worrisome to say things nicely. Each time I'm out there I see mostly that type.
Whenever I mentor the object is NEVER only a dead animal. It's the whole aspect of the sport. The where's, when's n whys.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 05, 2020, 04:24:55 PM

When you have a large amount of people on any forum , there is drama. We all come from different places and different backgrounds. This place is for the most part drama free but it is not a safe space. Most here are adults and in the end can agree to disagree. Only a few have thin skin and lets some comments trigger them. Like I said in a earlier post , we are all brothers in the end but even brothers disagree and fight at times. I have been here a long time and I have seen post like these several times over the years but most times things work out and there are very few grudges.
X2 .. I so agree, this post has nothing to do with drama that much , it's members voicing opinions ... That's why we have forums , we can all learn from these post ... Regardless we all love the sport of turkey hunting.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2020, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 05, 2020, 04:24:55 PM

X2 .. I so agree, this post has nothing to do with drama that much , it's members voicing opinions ... That's why we have forums , we can all learn from these post ... Regardless we all love the sport of turkey hunting.

You are right Greg. Well put.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

eggshell

I also, am tiring of the bitterness and harsh replies on this site. I do understand that most are just being passionate about a sport they are endeared to, but too often it digressing into judgemental criticism if not outright attacks on each other. We need to be better than this.

I am a traditional turkey hunter. A tradition is something you have adopted historically as an acceptable response to life's events. It is different for each of us, but still we can be categorized as this group or that.

My tradition is I have always hunted turkeys with a minimum of gear.
MY tradition is  I kill them where I find them and vary my tactics
My tradition is I respect the other Hunter, He is not me and I am not Him
My tradition is if someone needs help I am willing to help
My tradition is I respect the bird even after he's dead
My tradition is I pray for everyone's safety at the start of a hunt
My tradition is I love to talk about my hunts
My tradition is that I'm too old to engage in silly arguments, but alas I also have a tradition of engaging
My tradition is I hope that my brother and sisters can forgive me when I insist on expressing lunacy, I know my God does.
My tradition is to forgive those who have hurt me
My tradition is to learn as many new skills as possible and have a fun turkey season

I leave with this :

2 Timothy 2:23-26 New International Version (NIV)

23 Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

In The end the truth here is we all want to hunt turkeys and have fun and fellowship doing it. There is no right or wrong, but there is a legal and illegal.

Crghss

In the general public I think the % is much higher for traditional turkey hunting. Hunters on this site have a much lower % of traditional turkey hunting.

First, where can you use bait? Second some states don't let you use blinds i.e. Pennsylvania.

So in PA if you use a decoy you're non-traditional turkey hunter. If you're not using a decoy you're a traditional turkey.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Happy

Quote from: Crghss on February 05, 2020, 06:52:50 PM
In the general public I think the % is much higher for traditional turkey hunting. Hunters on this site have a much lower % of traditional turkey hunting.

First, where can you use bait? Second some states don't let you use blinds i.e. Pennsylvania.

So in PA if you use a decoy you're non-traditional turkey hunter. If you're not using a decoy you're a traditional turkey.
That's an interesting observation. Care to indulge me with further explanation? In particular the impression you have that there is a higher ratio of more "traditional" turkey hunters out in the public hunting than we have here on the forum. Not trying to be a smart alec. Genuinely interested in this observation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Happy on February 05, 2020, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: Crghss on February 05, 2020, 06:52:50 PM

That's an interesting observation. Care to indulge me with further explanation? In particular the impression you have that there is a higher ratio of more "traditional" turkey hunters out in the public hunting than we have here on the forum. Not trying to be a smart alec. Genuinely interested in this observation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In for this explanation.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"