OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

Once upon a time, I used deeks, blinds, and fed constantly (at least until the legal cutoff).  I finally decided that I was killing more birds being mobile and woodsmanship.  Being a person that has a decent amount of experience with "traditional" vs "new age", I'll be the first to point at the FACT that using "crutches" (someone else's term...seems to fit though), is exactly that. 

Now I am NOT bashing, just clarifying.  Decoys, blinds, reaping, etc. are used in place of woodsmanship...plain and simple.  Utilizing terrain, knowledge of the game, and proper calling will kill more birds. 

BUT, if a person is a die-hard "new age" hunter, MORE POWER TO YA!  Go kill a pile of'em, but all I ask is to give it a shot without it.  Sure, it's fun for a moment watching an Ol'Tom run in a beat the crap out of a deek, but there is no amount of satisfaction greater than knowing you beat him one-on-one.
This year is going to suck!!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

trkehunr93

90% of the turkeys I've killed have been me sitting against a tree and calling them into the gun.  However I have adjusted tactics that have worked in my favor.  I've belly crawled, I've used creek beds to put the sneak on gobblers before and got to where they were, stood up and shot, I've ran thru the woods to get ahead of gobblers but finished with the traditional sit at tree and call to gun, I've scouted birds that have used fields and I had zero problem sitting in a pop up blind over decoys waiting them out (watching a bird come into you on string like that is by far one of the most fun things you can do with your pants on), I've snuck in close enough in the morning that when he flew down he was already in my sights and died, never once picked up a call and I've ran into them before as I was moving thru the woods and didn;t pass up the opportunity.  I've killed alot with lead loads but have killed plenty with Hevi and last spring TSS.  I have guns with just bead sights but I have one with a scope that I hunt with most of the time.  I've added turkey specific chokes to my guns but have killed plenty with just a full choke and 2 3/4" lead 6's.  If I had to choose a way to do it, setting up in the right spot in the woods where a bird is in shotgun range when he pops into view and is coming into calling and I hear him crunching leaves or he gobbles right before he pops into view, thats what I would do everytime.  However IMO turkey hunting is like chess and it's all about strategy, sometimes that strategy has to change and you adapt.  Hunt them how you like as long as you are following whats allowed in your state. 

perrytrails

Probably less than 10%. 98% of the birds I've killed are with a mouth call, I sometimes use several calls at the same time, no blind, decoys, fanning, etc...and on public in hardwoods. Not pounding my chest just telling ya how I like to hunt. I've been in blinds when it's raining, with kids and wife. Mostly deer hunting. I don't how you guys sit in there staring out that hole. Drives me crazy. Especially when a bird is gobbling on the next ridge...not for me.

That said...

Do your thing if that gets you out...

If it's legal !

LaLongbeard

As per the usual a point was made and then immediately missed by several. No one is talking about wounded Vets or paraplegics, no one is referring to those with failing eyesight or health.
    The crutch users I'm talking about have no handicaps other than being lazy most times overweight and usually  slow witted. Go hangout at the NWTF convention and see how many wounded Vets are loading up on the turkey fan umbrellas tent blinds and decoys. Really not much of a mystery here.
      People use decoys and blinds or Gobbler fans etc. because it makes killing a Turkey easier period.
    You expect us to believe you spend all that money on decoys not to make hunting easier ,but you just sleep better knowing the owner of AvianX decoys is making a fortune lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

CAPTJJ

As long as hunters are having fun... who cares? Obviously those that need to feel better about themselves and their methods. I am definitely not a traditional turkey hunter, I don't use a shotgun.

StruttinGobbler3

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. This is turning into a chest beating, I'm better than you because of how I hunt contest. Even to the point of accusing blind and decoy users of being "lazy, overweight, and slow witted". I repeat my original point; if you wear camo and hunt with a modern firearm and modern ammunition, using a turkey specific choke tube, you are NOT a traditional hunter, no matter how much you pontificate or try to frame it on an online forum. And this is coming from a guy who has killed the majority of his gobblers in the so called "traditional" way. However, I am not above using woodsmanship to locate and pattern a tough field gobbler with his harem of hens, and play on his dominance by the use of strategic calling and decoy placement. In my opinion, a real turkey hunter is going to adapt and overcome, using the tools at his disposal to leave the woods with that gobbler over his shoulder. As far as people using a blind being lazy or overweight, I can guarantee plenty of high and mighty hunters on this forum couldn't hang with me in the woods. This p**sing contest needs to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

Sometimes a turkey hunter is not a turkey killer. Let that sink in a bit. In my youth I felt a need to kill something everytime I went hunting. I evolved to killing mature animals to killing what I felt like was trophies. I lost the bloodlust of flopping every bird I call to the gun. I still kill them but I have let many walk. The thing is , turkey can be bought in a store. I personally love the gobble and spit and drum of a gobbler. I know its not catch and release like bass fishing. To be honest when I kill a bird after a several day battle with him , I become sad immediately after the happiness. I know I will never hear him gobble again. I know that we hunt to kill them and I do my share but in the end I am still a little sad. To me turkey hunting is the one on one game regardless who wins. I appreciate the woods waking up on a cool spring morning and hearing that bird sound off. I guess when my time is done that will be the thing I miss most.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 05, 2020, 11:49:03 AM
As per the usual a point was made and then immediately missed by several. No one is talking about wounded Vets or paraplegics, no one is referring to those with failing eyesight or health.
    The crutch users I'm talking about have no handicaps other than being lazy most times overweight and usually  slow witted. Go hangout at the NWTF convention and see how many wounded Vets are loading up on the turkey fan umbrellas tent blinds and decoys. Really not much of a mystery here.
      People use decoys and blinds or Gobbler fans etc. because it makes killing a Turkey easier period.
    You expect us to believe you spend all that money on decoys not to make hunting easier ,but you just sleep better knowing the owner of AvianX decoys is making a fortune lol.
Your right , it's all a matter of opinions , you have opinions and others have opinions...Spring is coming .. here turkey  :funnyturkey:

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: warrent423 on February 05, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 05, 2020, 12:09:20 PM
This is getting absolutely ridiculous. This is turning into a chest beating, I'm better than you because of how I hunt contest. Even to the point of accusing blind and decoy users of being "lazy, overweight, and slow witted". I repeat my original point; if you wear camo and hunt with a modern firearm and modern ammunition, using a turkey specific choke tube, you are NOT a traditional hunter, no matter how much you pontificate or try to frame it on an online forum. And this is coming from a guy who has killed the majority of his gobblers in the so called "traditional" way. However, I am not above using woodsmanship to locate and pattern a tough field gobbler with his harem of hens, and play on his dominance by the use of strategic calling and decoy placement. In my opinion, a real turkey hunter is going to adapt and overcome, using the tools at his disposal to leave the woods with that gobbler over his shoulder. As far as people using a blind being lazy or overweight, I can guarantee plenty of high and mighty hunters on this forum couldn't hang with me in the woods. This p**sing contest needs to end.

Piss on you and your "walk out of the woods with a Gobbler over the shoulder by using any means necessary" mentality. This is a public forum and "us" old school guys will defend "traditional' Turkey hunting every chance we get, especially when it is the title of this thread.
Really? I hope by being a traditional turkey hunter you mean that you're hunting with a trad bow or flintlock muzzleloader. Because if not then you are NOT traditional, no matter what you tell yourself to prop up your fragile ego. Note that I did not say "kill by any means necessary"; I said adapt and use the tools at your disposal to kill your gobbler. Anybody with any sense would know that means within reasonable limits. Again, I have killed plenty of gobblers doing it "your way", but I won't knock another hunter for hunting how they choose to. It's unfortunate how online forums have created so many keyboard heroes that anonymously post crap they wouldn't have the stones to say in a face to face situation. So piss on me huh? Congratulations, you've proven how tough and rugged you are, and we're all highly impressed. There, does that soothe your injured feelings? Ridiculous. Have a good day.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

YukonC

Some people are going to be delusional like the one quoted above. This is the internet where people can say whatever they want without any result so for the folks out there using decoys, blinds, fans, or whatever you want to harvest a turkey just let people like this just go by the way side. They are not worth the trouble or stress when we are all honestly here to learn and share the passion of turkey hunting.

I myself generalize a "turkey hunter" as the most versatile and, dedicated Hunter our there.   That's using any of ALL methods and equipment you want. The best thing you can do is not give a care about others and their opinion. Especially when the "haters" can just type something and let it go without any face to face activity. I would put money on the table that if in the same room, they wouldn't have the balls to say anything to your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Cobra

Thanks to all who responded to this post, especially those who tried to answer my question. Your responses have given me great insight into the diverse group that make up this forum. The most important thing I take away from this is that Turkey Hunting is about enjoying the "natural high" that it brings to all of us. I personally feel that some people prefer a greater challenge and others do not and that's ok.

To answer my own original question I feel that Traditional Turkey Hunters make up less than 10 percent of all Turkey Hunters.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: YukonC on February 05, 2020, 12:54:50 PM
Some people are going to be delusional like the one quoted above. This is the internet where people can say whatever they want without any result so for the folks out there using decoys, blinds, fans, or whatever you want to harvest a turkey just let people like this just go by the way side. They are not worth the trouble or stress when we are all honestly here to learn and share the passion of turkey hunting.

I myself generalize a "turkey hunter" as the most versatile and, dedicated Hunter our there.   That's using any of ALL methods and equipment you want. The best thing you can do is not give a care about others and their opinion. Especially when the "haters" can just type something and let it go without any face to face activity. I would put money on the table that if in the same room, they wouldn't have the balls to say anything to your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can guarantee I have no problem saying anything to anybody in person. If the opinions posted offend you or hurt your feelings that's your problem.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

guesswho

King Cobra, I think your probably in the ballpark with the 10% estimate.   I personally love blinds and decoys.   I've said it over and over, but not in a while.  I wish everyone was required to hunt out of a blind and over at least 2 decoys, except me! 

And I think a few are confusing traditional with historical.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Quote from: King Cobra on February 05, 2020, 01:11:58 PM
Thanks to all who responded to this post, especially those who tried to answer my question. Your responses have given me great insight into the diverse group that make up this forum. The most important thing I take away from this is that Turkey Hunting is about enjoying the "natural high" that it brings to all of us. I personally feel that some people prefer a greater challenge and others do not and that's ok.

To answer my own original question I feel that Traditional Turkey Hunters make up less than 10 percent of all Turkey Hunters.
I applaud the effort, but you aren't going to save this thread. To many people ignored answering the question and leaving it at that and instead started preaching. Now ya done it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club