OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

Traditional  Turkey hunting doesn't mean a bow an arrow....that's traditional bowhunting. The first modern bowhunters used recurved/longbows now they are called traditional bowhunters to separate them from the hordes of people that try to buy proficiency with a bow by using every gadget sold to bypass practice and diligence . Don't know how that gets some of you so confused? Why not call a rock or stick traditional I'm sure someone somewhere killed a turkey with a stick before a bow.
      One definition of traditional is long established, I agree. There is a long established way to hunt the Wild Turkey in a sporting and fair way. "The Wild Turkey and it's Hunting" by Edward A McIlhenny  spells it out in detail. The first book ever written on how to hunt the Wild Turkey from Charles L Jordan's personal notes 1912. I still follow the same tradition and have killed plenty of Gobblers without resorting to bait , tents, or decoys.
      The reason a crippled person uses crutches is because he cannot walk without them. Decoys ,bait, tent blinds are crutches for Turkey hunter wannabes. You really expect me to believe that you could hunt and kill a Gobbler without all that junk....but you choose to carry it around because you like it? I've read delusional people on this very forum say that they use decoys because it is more sporting? Sure you do. You can pretend all you want and get butt hurt when we point it out, but there's still a number of Old School, or traditional Turkey hunters that don't need or want  your crutches.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Ranger

Amen. And calling a white headed strutter decoy just "tools in the shed" is downplaying your crutches.  And Sir Diealot I'll say it, if I had your resume I'd poach anywhere, anytime. In my opinion a piece of crap is somebody that poor mouths and Poor Mes all the time and suggests getting handouts from people. They never outright ask for it, but they never shut up suggesting they need a handout either.....that's a piece of crap
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Bowguy

Guys I could be wrong but I remember the Indians used dekes both to disguise themselves and just in general. Only responding to Indian posts. Also we should not mistake sport hunting for any other type.

Now sport hunting imo should be kept sporting. To every person this could vary

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ranger on February 05, 2020, 06:45:28 AM
Amen. And calling a white headed strutter decoy just "tools in the shed" is downplaying your crutches.  And Sir Diealot I'll say it, if I had your resume I'd poach anywhere, anytime. In my opinion a piece of crap is somebody that poor mouths and Poor Mes all the time and suggests getting handouts from people. They never outright ask for it, but they never shut up suggesting they need a handout either.....that's a piece of crap

Never asked for handouts, have offered money to those that have been kind enough to give me things, you can ask any of them and they will tell you the same thing. I have give back to the forum by giving members things both on the side between us and in giveaways. What have you ever done for the site, oh that's right, nothing, not since I have been here anyway. Nice try though. Jealous much?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ihuntoldschool

raditional  Turkey hunting doesn't mean a bow an arrow....that's traditional bowhunting. The first modern bowhunters used recurved/longbows now they are called traditional bowhunters to separate them from the hordes of people that try to buy proficiency with a bow by using every gadget sold to bypass practice and diligence . Don't know how that gets some of you so confused? Why not call a rock or stick traditional I'm sure someone somewhere killed a turkey with a stick before a bow.
      One definition of traditional is long established, I agree. There is a long established way to hunt the Wild Turkey in a sporting and fair way. "The Wild Turkey and it's Hunting" by Edward A McIlhenny  spells it out in detail. The first book ever written on how to hunt the Wild Turkey from Charles L Jordan's personal notes 1912. I still follow the same tradition and have killed plenty of Gobblers without resorting to bait , tents, or decoys.
      The reason a crippled person uses crutches is because he cannot walk without them. Decoys ,bait, tent blinds are crutches for Turkey hunter wannabes. You really expect me to believe that you could hunt and kill a Gobbler without all that junk....but you choose to carry it around because you like it? I've read delusional people on this very forum say that they use decoys because it is more sporting? Sure you do. You can pretend all you want and get butt hurt when we point it out, but there's still a number of Old School, or traditional Turkey hunters that don't need or want  your crutches.

X2.   I don't use any of those crutches because I don't need them to kill gobblers consistently. It's been said before but it's worth repeating, very few turkey hunters left but plenty of turkey killers.  The kill at all costs mentality is ruining turkey hunting. If you play the game you should at least play by the rules and give the gobbler a fair chance. When you introduce visual aids into the equation you are no longer on a level playing field anymore. And when you use a blind, same thing, although not quite as unsporting as decoys/fanning. But you take away the wild turkey's natural defenses when you have to resort to a blind to allow you to move freely. I believe in fair chase turkey hunting and to me using a blind, visual aid, or bait is not fair chase. At least play on a level playing field with the gobbler. That way when you call him up like you're supposed to you know you've earned that bird and not bought him. There are still others out there just like me but we are the slim minority in this day and age, sadly. If would quit before I had to resort to crutches like that to kill gobblers, personally.  That's my opinion and I understand it's the minority opinion these days and I'm fine with that.

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 05, 2020, 02:06:08 AM
Traditional  Turkey hunting doesn't mean a bow an arrow....that's traditional bowhunting. The first modern bowhunters used recurved/longbows now they are called traditional bowhunters to separate them from the hordes of people that try to buy proficiency with a bow by using every gadget sold to bypass practice and diligence . Don't know how that gets some of you so confused? Why not call a rock or stick traditional I'm sure someone somewhere killed a turkey with a stick before a bow.

La you're def correct but you're wrong in that guys can't kill without em. Yes they are crutches. Some are sick n need em. I can only speak for myself but I've killed birds for years w only a mouth call. Now life threw me curve balls. To say it's challenging s not looking for pity it's just factual. Who cares though right?
When I was younger I prob didn't understand but Ike you I see things a certain way. Let me digress n bring up bow hunting. I learned initially stykbow. I've never not had one. I've killed deer w them and have no issues. I also used a compound.
Fast fwd to the present. When I had surgery my optic nerve was hit. I can't see clear out of my dominant eye.
In my state crossbow is legal. I can't see clearly n my eyes fight for dominance. You ought to be inside my head when the switching Eye thing is going on.
I could learn lefty but the Drs don't know if I'll lose eye, if it'll fully heal, etc
Personally I'm back to 100% stykbow. I'm not using anything I don't need. I don't bait either.
Do I use a climber? Yes that's one crutch but I'm still attempting at sporting and self challenge and I'm doing ok.
Same w turkey. With someone I can hunt like old times. Alone I sometimes use some crutches. The attempt at keeping it a hunt is real, believe me on that.
Just points to consider.

Bowguy

Quote from: Ranger on February 05, 2020, 06:45:28 AM

Idk bout this. Seems awful judgemental and imo shows poor class. Hope that's considered next time you feel you want to say something like that.
We can say things without purposely being like way. I've been guilty too so make no mistake. No judgement on my part. We can do better. We're all brothers

1iagobblergetter

Why would one really care what another thinks? Take from the forum what suits you and leave what doesn't?

StruttinGobbler3

I'd say it's ridiculous to say everyone who's killed a turkey out of a blind can't hunt without one. I've killed two or three gobblers over dekes or out of a blind. Vast majority of my birds have been taken the "old school" way. Nothing wrong with trying different tactics. That doesn't make them a crutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

GobbleNut

For me personally, although I consider myself to be a pretty traditional turkey hunter, I'll take the guy that uses all the crutches he needs, kills a gobbler or two, and leaves the rest for the future posterity of the species over the "traditional" guy that kills every turkey he calls-in every spring with no regard for the well-being of the turkey population just to prove to himself he is "better". 

On the other hand, I'm sure there are those hunters that use every tool/crutch they can to kill as many turkeys as they can each spring.  It's all about body count.  THOSE guys are the ones we need to get rid of!   ...I suspect there are some really "traditional" turkey hunters around that also fall into that category.

StruttinGobbler3

Also, guys, just a side note. This is one of the best turkey forums on the internet, known for its helpfulness and friendliness. Some of you are doing no favors to the site on this post. I've seen some overreactions and downright ugliness develop on this post. In my opinion Shannon should lock it. Most importantly, those of you who call yourselves Christians should ask yourself if Christ would approve of your comments. Are your words edifying or building up? If not, keep them to yourself. To those of you who don't know Christ, consider this post His invitation to you to come to know Him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

I hunt without decoys for the most part and never out of a blind or around bait. Thats just my preference. I am not a elitist and I hunt the way I came up hunting. Hunt the way you want as long as you are legal and withen your moral compass. This is a great site and people are just amped up as season is approaching. Its all good and happens every year. You really should not let someone on a internet forum trigger you. I know , easier said than done. I have done the same thing. Guys that have been here awhile know me and I will part with this. We are brothers here and we will fight and have disagreements. Thats what brothers do. Also when you post or text , sometimes it can be mis interpeted . Hard to read into the meaning or non meaning sometimes.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

the Ward

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 05, 2020, 09:09:21 AM
I hunt without decoys for the most part and never out of a blind or around bait. Thats just my preference. I am not a elitist and I hunt the way I came up hunting. Hunt the way you want as long as you are legal and withen your moral compass. This is a great site and people are just amped up as season is approaching. Its all good and happens every year. You really should not let someone on a internet forum trigger you. I know , easier said than done. I have done the same thing. Guys that have been here awhile know me and I will part with this. We are brothers here and we will fight and have disagreements. Thats what brothers do. Also when you post or text , sometimes it can be mis interpeted . Hard to read into the meaning or non meaning sometimes.
great post! Sums up my feelings exactly.

the Ward

I have hunted out of a blind a few times on a rainy day. Even threw out a decoy. Not my preferred style style of hunting turkey, but i'm fine with it. I  have much more fun though figuring out the lay of the land and getting a hot bird to commit to your call and setup though!

Greg Massey

I hunt the way i want , I'm not on this forum to please the majority. Lot of people use blinds and decoys especially those that are handicap with health issues. If it takes these added tactic's for these people to enjoy turkey hunting. I commend these people in doing so.. It's not my place to judge others , it's YOUR place to judge yourself in what's needed to be successful in enjoying the sport of turkey hunting , man , woman or taking a youth for the first time turkey hunting. Cuz Ronnie Strickland , has a Wounded Warrior hunt ever year in Fl , some of these Veterans, need crutches , prosthetic legs and arms and elect wheelchair's.. they use blinds if needed and decoys. Some of these guys and girls , wouldn't have a chance without the help of these aids. For a lot of these people , it's the first time for them to get to go turkey hunting or enjoy the sport. So let's be really careful in how we JUDGE others , sometimes we need to look in the mirror at ourselves and think regardless these people are supporting our hunting heritage.  The smile of success for a first time turkey hunter is priceless in my opinion. Just my little old opinion again...