OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

QuoteThe turkeys ain't got no guns man. It's not a "form of war".

Yeah, I know.....it's just dramatization to reflect the use of strategies and positioning applied to the hunt, not actual conflict.  What I did not think of was that using those terms might offend someone who actually fought in a war. So I apologize to the veterans here and have edited it out of my post. Just a brain fart...a lot of those on this thread.  :)

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: eggshell on February 20, 2020, 12:08:43 PM

Yeah, I know.....it's just dramatization to reflect the use of strategies and positioning applied to the hunt, not actual conflict.  What I did not think of was that using those terms might offend someone who actually fought in a war. So I apologize to the veterans here and have edited it out of my post. Just a brain fart...a lot of those on this thread.  :)

I fought in 2 conflicts and I am not offended.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Missouri hunter

Quote from: eggshell on February 20, 2020, 12:08:43 PM

Thanks for the response. It is most definitely a dramatic and strategic sport hunting these great birds, but I would also want to show my respect to those who have actually experienced war. I have at times been worried about being shot at by other hunters, but the turkeys themselves ain't fighting me, they just do what they do and we get to have a good time hunting them.
Good luck this spring
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

GobbleNut

Well, after all of this discussion, I have settled on my position.  I will hunt the way I want to,...and all of you hunt the way you want to.  If they don't match, it's okay (you'll get better at it over time!). 

I do have one question about someone not reading posts that offend them.  Maybe someone can explain to me how a person is supposed to know if a post is going to offend them BEFORE they read it?  ....Just asking....  (imagine many smiley face emoji's here)

eggshell

The wisdom of Gobblenut......Is there a category for stubborn out farts ? That's actually what I want to be classified under.

Stubborn old fart turkey hunter:

Been at it longer than some have been alive
Tried so many damn "new ideas" you've lost count
Killed turkeys more ways than I remember
Screwed up even more ways
To many aches, pains and senility to chase that bird clear across a valley as far as I can see or hear
Seen enough flopping gobblers one more getting away ain't no big deal
I like to go when I feel like going and I like doing what I do well enough I don't care if I ever learn a new trick
Sometimes a patch of wildflowers is as neat as a gobbler strutting
And most of all I ain't asking anyone if they approve
Some days I just sit and chuckle at  the younguns, thinking to myself don't take yourself so serious
And most of all, when it ain't fun anymore it's time to quit

NCL

I do have one question about someone not reading posts that offend them.  Maybe someone can explain to me how a person is supposed to know if a post is going to offend them BEFORE they read it?  ....Just asking....  (imagine many smiley face emoji's here)
[/quote]

Just check the Psychic Hot Line it can tell you how you will feel

LaLongbeard

Quote from: NCL on February 21, 2020, 10:29:35 AM

Just check the Psychic Hot Line it can tell you how you will feel
[/quote]
If you know from past experience a thread title  such as "Traditional Turkey hunting" hurts your feelings why not avoid the thread? If you've already posted your sensitive feelings more than once on the thread continuing to read the new posts in the thread will more than likely cause you more suffering so why do it? If you know someone's posts normally cause you butt pain why read that persons posts? Not really a hard concept to understand....hope you now understand and the pain was not too bad lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

ChiefBubba

Quote from: eggshell on February 20, 2020, 07:17:01 PM
The wisdom of Gobblenut......Is there a category for stubborn out farts ? That's actually what I want to be classified under.

To many aches, pains and senility to chase that bird clear across a valley as far as I can see or hear
I like to go when I feel like going and I like doing what I do well enough I don't care if I ever learn a new trick
Some days I just sit and chuckle at  the younguns, thinking to myself don't take yourself so serious

This right here pretty much sums it up. Need a little more of keep your business in your own blind or tree whichever you like. Bubba

King Cobra

I am a Traditional Turkey Hunter and take pride in being one. I apologize if I offended anyone with this post it was not my intention. Let's put it to roost...   
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: King Cobra on February 21, 2020, 01:27:49 PM
I am a Traditional Turkey Hunter and take pride in being one. I apologize if I offended anyone with this post it was not my intention. Let's put it to roost...
No need to apologize it was a legitimate subject. You will find out if you haven't already someone somewhere somehow will be offended no matter what is posted.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

M Sharpe

If you read Henry Davis, Simon Everette and Tom Turpin's books, those traditional hunters went to some extreme measures. Baiting, roost shooting and bushwacking was not unheard of in their day. Some even carried a rifle and a shotgun!! Those, along with the market hunters , liked to have wiped them out!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

hotspur

Quote from: eggshell on February 20, 2020, 07:17:01 PM

I refuse to admit I'm old for now, but I will admit that I fart