OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

I say yelp him to the gun without the visual aid of a deek  or at least use some type is woodsmanship skills to get the drop the drop on a gobbler... anything else "imo " cheapens the sport . If this makes me a traditionalist ? Then count me in .

fallhnt

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 19, 2020, 02:55:38 PM
I would hope future generations of hunters will recognize why some chose not to use gimmicks to kill turkeys.
As for bashing others on an open forum ,I think that's a little much. You do know per pressure was the only thing keeping the weirdos from running rampant like they are now lol. There has always been transgender freaks and every other type of weird behavior going on they just kept it hidden for fear of ridicule or worse. Now everyone and everything is legal and excepted no matter how off the wall it is. If any comment I have ever made has caused someone to second guess trying to take a short  cut to killing a Gobbler ....I say good. If that upsets some ,so what go tell. I'm guessing high school was really rough for some of you lol
Does your butt ever get jealous of the  $hit that comes out of your mouth?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

StruttinGobbler3

Man this thread simply will not die. I'll say it again, hunt the way that gives you enjoyment as long as you're abiding by the law. After all, turkey hunting is supposed to be fun, that's the whole point. If it wasn't none of us would do it. If some choose to make the hunt more difficult because you feel more accomplished in doing it a certain way, that's fine. But that doesn't mean your rules apply to every turkey hunter in the nation, and nobody should look down on another for playing by different rules. Yes, I've killed turkeys over decoys. I've killed the majority of my birds calling them to my gun in the timber. Yes, personally I get more enjoyment out of having a conversation with the bird and making him hunt for me. Always a big thrill to see that red head and fan easing my way through the woods. But if I run into a situation where the best tactic calls for a decoy, then I deploy that strategy in order to kill my bird. I'm a turkey hunter, that's what I do; kill turkeys. Don't much care what others think of it, I hunt for my enjoyment, not someone else's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 19, 2020, 08:45:45 PM
Man this thread simply will not die. I'll say it again, hunt the way that gives you enjoyment as long as you're abiding by the law. After all, turkey hunting is supposed to be fun, that's the whole point. If it wasn't none of us would do it. If some choose to make the hunt more difficult because you feel more accomplished in doing it a certain way, that's fine. But that doesn't mean your rules apply to every turkey hunter in the , and nobody should look down on another for playing by different rules. Yes, I've killed turkeys over decoys. I've killed the majority of my birds calling them to my gun in the timber. Yes, personally I get more enjoyment out of having a conversation with the bird and making him hunt for me. Always a big thrill to see that red head and fan easing my way through the woods. But if I run into a situation where the best tactic calls for a decoy, then I deploy that strategy in order to kill my bird. I'm a turkey hunter, that's what I do; kill turkeys. Don't much care what others think of it, I hunt for my enjoyment, not someone else's.

Hahaha. Im kind of enjoying it. Passes time until season. By the way , when you posted , it bumped it back to the top and it cant die that way. Not trying to ruffle your feathers , just having a little fun.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 19, 2020, 09:56:13 PM
Man this thread simply will not die. I'll say it again, hunt the way that gives you enjoyment as long as you're abiding by the law. After all, turkey hunting is supposed to be fun, that's the whole point. If it wasn't none of us would do it. If some choose to make the hunt more difficult because you feel more accomplished in doing it a certain way, that's fine. But that doesn't mean your rules apply to every turkey hunter in the , and nobody should look down on another for playing by different rules. Yes, I've killed turkeys over decoys. I've killed the majority of my birds calling them to my gun in the timber. Yes, personally I get more enjoyment out of having a conversation with the bird and making him hunt for me. Always a big thrill to see that red head and fan easing my way through the woods. But if I run into a situation where the best tactic calls for a decoy, then I deploy that strategy in order to kill my bird. I'm a turkey hunter, that's what I do; kill turkeys. Don't much care what others think of it, I hunt for my enjoyment, not someone else's.

Hahaha. Im kind of enjoying it. Passes time until season. By the way , when you posted , it bumped it back to the top and it cant die that way. Not trying to ruffle your feathers , just having a little fun.
Haha you have a very good point, I did just help feed this argument I'm speaking against. And some of these posts are indeed laughable. Oh well, gives us something to read while we're sitting on the toilet with no new hunting magazines to read.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 19, 2020, 10:06:09 PM

Haha you have a very good point, I did just help feed this argument I'm speaking against. And some of these posts are indeed laughable. Oh well, gives us something to read while we're sitting on the toilet with no new hunting magazines to read.

Haha. All in good fun brother. Thing is some of us lurk here all year long and its pretty smooth. I learned a month and a half or so from season people pour back to the forum and the craziness begins. I talk most of these pissing matches with a grain of salt because season is near. Good luck this spring brother.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 19, 2020, 10:29:33 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 19, 2020, 10:06:09 PM

Haha. All in good fun brother. Thing is some of us lurk here all year long and its pretty smooth. I learned a month and a half or so from season people pour back to the forum and the craziness begins. I talk most of these pissing matches with a grain of salt because season is near. Good luck this spring brother.
I know what you mean. Good luck to you as well my friend.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Marc

Well, I am not hunting in my buckskin clothing with a black powder "scatter-gun," with a box call I made with my knife and a piece of wood.

I am using a modern turkey vest, with modern ammunition, in a modern shotgun with modern choking, using modern calls.

But even modern made "traditional calls" are made with modern machinery and some degree of improved technology and sophistication.

Clothing and vests certainly make hunting more convenient and comfortable.  I can remain dry and comfortable under much more severe conditions than even 10-20 years ago...  I have no intentions of going traditional in this aspect.

I do occasionally hunt over a decoy (or two), but my preference is to avoid the hassle; I feel the same about a blind.  I enjoy fooling birds, and immensely enjoy the interaction of calling birds in.  I take friends hunting, and the excitement for them is getting a bird in range and harvesting it (they could care less who is calling).

While there is a satisfaction of calling in that big ol' tom to nothing but a call, it is a different experience than having a bird rush in to decoys...  I have enjoyed both experiences.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

eggshell

I have tried to resist adding fuel to the fire, but sometimes it's too far gone to save and you just realize it's easier to rebuild if you just let it burn completely out. when you get to that point it's just fun to watch. You learn pretty quickly who you'd want to share a hunt camp with.

What I have determined through this thread is a confirmation of why I don't like labels. People typical use labels as a judgemental exercise, to either hold one's self above others or to diminish others below them. Typical some form of low self -esteem is involved. Go ahead and throw your mud at me if you feel you must, it'll only support my thoughts. I've already been insulted and attacked over post and one more won't matter.

So i decided I am not a traditional turkey hunter and don't care to ever be. When I'm in a duel with a boss gobbler I will consider all tactics and choose to use some and some I will not, but everything is on the table. I'm not going to call the "tradition police" to see if it's ok, it's like  a verse from an old song, "sometimes a girl (guy in this case) just wants to have fun"

Missouri hunter

Quote from: eggshell on February 20, 2020, 07:20:44 AM
I have tried to resist adding fuel to the fire, but sometimes it's too far gone to save and you just realize it's easier to rebuild if you just let it burn completely out. when you get to that point it's just fun to watch. You learn pretty quickly who you'd want to share a hunt camp with.

What I have determined through this thread is a confirmation of why I don't like labels. People typical use labels as a judgemental exercise, to either hold one's self above others or to diminish others below them. Typical some form of low self -esteem is involved. Go ahead and throw your mud at me if you feel you must, it'll only support my thoughts. I've already been insulted and attacked over post and one more won't matter.

So i decided I am not a traditional turkey hunter and don't care to ever be. When I'm in a duel with a boss gobbler it's a form of war and the object is to kill the critter. I will consider all tactics and choose to use some and some I will not, but everything is on the table. I'm not going to call the "tradition police" to see if it's ok, it's like  a verse from an old song, "sometimes a girl (guy in this case) just wants to have fun"

The turkeys ain't got no guns man. It's not a "form of war".
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

renegade19

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 19, 2020, 07:39:52 PM
Quote from: renegade19 on February 19, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 19, 2020, 07:00:53 PM
Boy , I see there are more thinned skinned people showing up around here lately. Hope they all get there participation trophies. If you cannot handle peoples opinions on a internet forum and it makes you want to stop coming and posting on them because you wittle feelings get hurt then you need some help.
If you're referring to me
1.  I been around a long time
2.  I hunt "traditional"
3.  My wittle feelings weren't hurt I just don't like jerks telling other people that they're less of a hunter or sportsman because they hunt differently.
4.  If your state lets you hunt deer over feeders, bait, mineral blocks, with dogs, or any other means that it takes you to kill one, I don't believe in that either but you do you if you want to.  I won't tell you that I think you're a pathetic deer hunter and you couldn't kill a trophy free range whitetail no matter how many days you spent in the woods.
5.  I think it absurd to pay someone to guide you to kill a deer or a turkey but that's just my opinion and I'm a hypocrite cause I did pay a tarpon fishing guide one time. 
6.  I'll see myself out now.  Good hunting!
[/quote

First of all I must have hit a nerve with you. If the shoe fits , wear it. Its a public forum dude. We can all agree to disagree. I have been here a long time and I have never seen so many people whining about what someone else says. The thing is , is we are all here giving opinions. Thats what a forum is. A bunch of people sharing there opinions. Its sad when someone feels so offended , talks about leaving for being offended and then continues to post on the topic. I hunt the way I hunt and you hunt the way you hunt. Who cares. Its all about opinions.

Nah, you didn't hit a nerve and we're all good.  Your points are 100% on and that's the thing.  They're all opinions. I'm just voicing mine about some members apparently belittling others because their opinion doesn't match.  Doesn't make either opinion right or wrong, just means they're different.  Don't bully or talk down to someone whose opinion or way of hunting is different than yours.  Disagree all you want, try to make the other see your side but man, treat the others with some respect.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: renegade19 on February 20, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 19, 2020, 07:39:52 PM
Quote from: renegade19 on February 19, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 19, 2020, 07:00:53 PM
Boy , I see there are more thinned skinned people showing up around here lately. Hope they all get there participation trophies. If you cannot handle peoples opinions on a internet forum and it makes you want to stop coming and posting on them because you wittle feelings get hurt then you need some help.
If you're referring to me
1.  I been around a long time
2.  I hunt "traditional"
3.  My wittle feelings weren't hurt I just don't like jerks telling other people that they're less of a hunter or sportsman because they hunt differently.
4.  If your state lets you hunt deer over feeders, bait, mineral blocks, with dogs, or any other means that it takes you to kill one, I don't believe in that either but you do you if you want to.  I won't tell you that I think you're a pathetic deer hunter and you couldn't kill a trophy free range whitetail no matter how many days you spent in the woods.
5.  I think it absurd to pay someone to guide you to kill a deer or a turkey but that's just my opinion and I'm a hypocrite cause I did pay a tarpon fishing guide one time. 
6.  I'll see myself out now.  Good hunting!
[/quote

First of all I must have hit a nerve with you. If the shoe fits , wear it. Its a public forum dude. We can all agree to disagree. I have been here a long time and I have never seen so many people whining about what someone else says. The thing is , is we are all here giving opinions. Thats what a forum is. A bunch of people sharing there opinions. Its sad when someone feels so offended , talks about leaving for being offended and then continues to post on the topic. I hunt the way I hunt and you hunt the way you hunt. Who cares. Its all about opinions.

Nah, you didn't hit a nerve and we're all good.  Your points are 100% on and that's the thing.  They're all opinions. I'm just voicing mine about some members apparently belittling others because their opinion doesn't match.  Doesn't make either opinion right or wrong, just means they're different.  Don't bully or talk down to someone whose opinion or way of hunting is different than yours.  Disagree all you want, try to make the other see your side but man, treat the others with some respect.

I agree with you on that. There is no need to disrespect or belittle anyone. Sometimes things get a little heated around here , but for the most part , its resolved. Brothers bicker and fight but in the end they are still brothers. Good luck this season buddy.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

LaLongbeard

I agree this really needs too stop! If we can just find out who is forcing these people to read upsetting posts then maybe we can end the suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

hotspur

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 20, 2020, 10:54:06 AM
I agree this really needs too stop! If we can just find out who is forcing these people to read upsetting posts then maybe we can end the suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol