OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 07, 2020, 05:33:21 PM
    Sport hunting of SPRING Gobblers is not new it was first written about in 1912. That would be the start as far as we can put a defining date on it. There were no doubt others hunting them the same way before 1912 but that is the date we can confirm.

LOL Hmmm, I knew I had seen this a while ago and took me a while to find but it seems Turkey Decoys have been around for a while too...
20th Century = 1901

"Description - Early 20th c. New England standing Wild Turkey Decoy in carved and painted wood, on single dowel leg display stand, 28" x 33" x 8" overall, including base."

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 07, 2020, 05:33:21 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on February 07, 2020, 01:15:11 PM

Sport hunting of SPRING Gobblers is not new it was first written about in 1912.  In 1912 you could bait you could shoot 25 a day you could roost shoot, you could tie a live Gobbler or hen to a stake and let them do the calling. But that's not sporting and that's not how Charles S Jordan hunted them.

Hmmmm lol yea as usual you leave out the rest of the post. There's always been two bit hacks that would do anything to kill a turkey, thanks for pointing out even in 1901  they had enough shame not to write about decoy use lol.
You happen to know any two bit hacks that spend all season sitting in a blind on a cut corn field starring at a decoy flock and trying to convince themselves they are calling in 90% of the Gobblers they call to? I know one lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

greencop01

The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Gene Nunnery, and Turkey Hunting a One Man Game, Ken Morgan say it best. Read 'em and find out!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Gobbler428

Quote from: greencop01 on February 11, 2020, 06:27:44 AM
The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Gene Nunnery, and Turkey Hunting a One Man Game, Ken Morgan say it best. Read 'em and find out!

I agree

Chris O

I feel decoys and blinds are just different tools that can be used if you like. For bow hunters I would think they would be pretty essential. They also might help young hunters have some success. Sometimes blinds make it a little more enjoyable to hunt when in inclement weather. I have used both with success but I really prefer to not drag them around anymore. Greg Massey hit the nail on the head. They all have their place if you desire it. The older I get I wouldn't think about going turkey hunting with out a turkey chair of some sort and probably before I would like to I will probably add some kind of optic on my turkey gun because of my eye sight.

fallhnt

Old school....notice the lack of designer camo and no chair.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dtrkyman

I think started turkey hunting in 1991, one of the first things I bought was a decoy, seemed pretty logical! looked terrible and I rated used it.

So my tradition is using a decoy, probably 60 percent of the time due to hunting a lot of fields.

To each his own, follow the law and have at it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSwamper

Wonder do traditional duck hunters not use decoys, only a call and a gun in their hands.  Never mind, I digress, as you were gentlemen.  Keep it legal and go for it

eggshell

LaLongbeard

Quote from: eggshell on February 14, 2020, 06:34:59 PM
Is this traditional turkey hunting

Noway to know if that's market hunters or sport hunters. Big difference. I can pull up market hunting pics of 1900's hunters knee deep in dead ducks or quail, bent game polls with 30 deer etc. Hunting for money, hunting to feed 12 kids hunting for sport completely different subjects. One end of the scale is doing anything to kill as many as possible for profit or pot the other is purposely making the hunt more difficult than it has to be for the sporting challenge of it. 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

eggshell

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Gobbler428 on February 11, 2020, 06:47:12 AM
Quote from: greencop01 on February 11, 2020, 06:27:44 AM

I agree
I agree also.  I have an original 1980 copy of Gene Nunnery's "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter".  Great book.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

renegade19

I tried to read all of the posts in this thread and couldn't.  NOW I remember why I quit coming around much.  Jeez, what a bunch of garbage, holier than thou BS.  Hunt however you want if it's legal where you're at.  IF you don't like the way a guy hunts, don't hang around with him either in real life or here.  I'll go back to reading some other forums for entertainment now.