OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What % of turkey hunters fall into the category of Traditional Turkey Hunters ?

Started by King Cobra, February 04, 2020, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Cobra

My definition of Traditional Turkey Hunter is one who does not use a blind, bait, or decoys.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

GobbleNut

I'll buy that definition as a pure traditionalist.  I do think there are slight variations on the "traditional turkey hunter" theme, however.

guesswho

I have no idea of the percentage, but I'm pretty sure is decreases each year.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

2eagles

Not me for sure! I'm an opportunist. I'll do whatever it takes, short of hiding behind a fan and sneaking up on tom.

Greg Massey

I firmly believer that the better turkey hunters will find ways to kill turkeys regardless and employ whatever tactic is necessary. It has always been a debate of hearing one way criticize over another way of killing turkeys. It's all about the hunt and enjoying your time in the outdoors, and making your heart pound as that gobbler is answering your calling. You have to think , am i traditionalist , if i have the best camo, snakeboot's , vest, custom calls, red dot's on my 200.00 - 2000.00 dollar shotgun. In my opinion who freaking cares WHAT i am, just enjoy to your fullest extent of chasing turkeys. I hunt to please me , NOT someone else...this is just my little old opinion..

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 04, 2020, 12:15:28 PM
I firmly believer that the better turkey hunters will find ways to kill turkeys regardless and employ whatever tactic is necessary. It has always been a debate of hearing one way criticize over another way of killing turkeys. It's all about the hunt and enjoying your time in the outdoors, and making your heart pound as that gobbler is answering your calling. You have to think , am i traditionalist , if i have the best camo, snakeboot's , vest, custom calls, red dot's on my 200.00 - 2000.00 dollar shotgun. In my opinion who freaking cares WHAT i am, just enjoy to your fullest extent of chasing turkeys. I hunt to please me , NOT someone else...this is just my little old opinion..

Spot on and well said Greg.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

King Cobra

Greg, I hope everyone enjoys their experience as much as I do every time I step into the turkey woods.. Turkey hunting is all about the thrill of being one with nature and matching skills with the spring "Master of the Woods" no matter what ethical means you use. Please do not take my post the wrong way, I am just curious to hear what other people's opinion is on the matter.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

mudhen

My definition of the traditional turkey hunter is the generation that nearly wiped the wild turkey off the face of the earth when left to their own devices...

Once these traditional hunters were brought under control, we got our birds back...

Modernly, a good turkey hunter is one that follows the applicable rules & regulations for the location of their hunt...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Happy

I would say it's pretty low and continuing to drop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Timer

I carry less every year, maybe 1 decoy. Very seldom hunt from a blind unless i`m on a guided hunt. Love run n gun but I`m slowing down. I guess i fall in the old school column.

bbcoach

Wow, are people PMSing, locked in their houses because of the weather or turkey season not getting here fast enough.  Cobra just ask a simple question.  I'll say this, many turkey hunters only get a few days afield during a 5 week season.  Some are more fortunate and do some traveling to extend their season.  And I fall in the retired category that allows flexibility.  Each of us, have our own standards and time limits and hunt according to those parameters.  I enjoy the interaction of getting the bird very close 25 yards or less.  I feel if, he comes in to this distance, I've won the battle whether I pull the trigger or not.  We shouldn't criticize what methods are used as long the hunter is doing it within the laws set forth by the state they are hunting in.

dirt road ninja

Sometimes I do sit in blinds watching dekes, I have crawled up on them, I have killed a few behind a fan, never killed one over bait, I do shoot tss and I have killed a few just sitting against a tree waiting on one to walk by. I've even killed a couple when we met walking on a road, both equally shocked to see one another, though I hadn't done that in a few years. I have also enjoyed every minute of it and made a few friends along the way. For those that have never tried fanning it is a complete rush in my opinion when it works. Most of the time it does not work, but when he drops his wings and charges you....I do find it fun.  I will continue to try it once a year, but for the most part I enjoy calling them in the most.

Missouri hunter

I hunt turkeys with my shotgun and my calls. That's pretty much it. I hunt public land timber birds because that's what a like. I won't use a decoy, a fan for reaping or a blind. I won't bait anything I hunt.
I hunt this way because it's what I like and the game I want to play. So I guess that could be traditional.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Mossberg90MN

I would say a lot of people are definitely attracted to hunting out of blinds with decoys.

Kytomgetter

I use a blind and decoys. So I guess I'm not a traditionalist. Oh yea. Sometimes I use a 10 gauge so that knocks me out, and sometimes I use a 12 with tss. That's strike 3 so I'm definitely out.