OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Our Dicks has stopped selling guns

Started by SinGin, February 01, 2020, 06:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytomgetter

I'm done with Dick's. Stop selling guns, and the last time I was in one they didn't have much of anything. They are going down pretty fast.

dayna105

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 01, 2020, 08:14:44 PM
I may be wrong about this but I am pretty sure I read here that some if not all the Field and Stream portion of them was purchased by a pro hunting company.

Edit: They sold 8 of them to Sportsman's Warehouse
Sportsman's Warehouse to acquire 8 Field & Stream stores for $28M
Read more at:
https://thefly.com/landingPageNews.php?id=2969453
https://thefly.com/landingPageNews.php?id=2969453&headline=SPWH;DKS-Sportsmans-Warehouse-to-acquire--Field-amp-Stream-stores-for-M

I'm located near one of the stores that Sportsman's Warehouse bought out. The Dick's store near me always has just a few cars in the parking lot. Not been inside of the store for close to 3 years now.

sixbird

Quote from: Magdump on February 01, 2020, 08:02:53 PM
Quote from: SinGin on February 01, 2020, 06:08:11 PM
Stopped by today and they are getting out of the hunting business. Said they were out because there is a Bass Pro, Academy, and 9 other places around to buy guns

Having seen the inside of things in the firearm industry, i can accurately state that they are getting out of the hunting business for one reason and only one reason.  Because the CEO is a gun hating communist that killed their hunting business so that they could avoid selling guns.

Then, Dick's actually hired anti-gun lobbyists to attack YOUR fundamental right to self defense. 

As a result of all this, we boycotted them hard and their commie CEO then got his wish.  No more guns in Dick's stores. 

I will smile hugely when they go bankrupt.

Exactly! I'm glad they're getting what they asked for. Aside from employees likely being laid off, I'm all for Dicks' demise.
Regarding the Cabelas thing, that Singer thing was a travesty and Cabelas is not the store it was before it was taken over by Basspro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Not sure if you guys are aware but Singer forced the sale of Cabelas and absolutely devastated the headquarters town that was booming before he and his group showed up...Bastard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigriverbum

i sold shoes at a dicks sporting goods for a year when i was in college

at the end of the shift when we were supposed to clean i'd go hang out in a pop up turkey blind. one night i unzipped it and 2 teens were going at it in there  :popcorn:

i just picked up a pair of ol' tom turkey pants and shirt for 40% off on their website. good deal, but the pants are way too big and the shirt will be too small if it shrinks at all lol. damn you drake sizing!

of the 2 stores i'd ever been in they weren't committed enough to outdoor/hunting stuff to make it worth it. i can see whey they're getting out of the game. can't comment on the gun stuff though

Sir-diealot

I'm not going to be one of the people that say they always hated them anyway because I am not, I bought quite a bit of hunting related items from them as they were the only place to get many things for years in my area. Mostly what I bought from them were VHS hunting tapes then DVD's when they came out, some books, great pair of Nikon binoculars, targets, and maybe a few articles of hunting clothing or backpacks but that was over 20 years ago.

What they have become now is a travesty, feel sorry for their employees but I hope the chain goes belly up or by some miracle comes back to it's roots, which I highly doubt.

I have to be honest, I was really looking forward to the Bass Pro Shops when it opened up about an hour from me but they kinda suck to be honest. They push their Redhead brand stuff so much it is hard to find anything quality in their store at all and the Redhead stuff that I have had has been mostly junk with the exception of a backpack. I wish Cabala's was still on their own, everybody I know says their quality has gone way down. Never knew about the Singer thing. I am guessing you are not talking about the Singer family from the sewing machines?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

captpete

The Dick's closest to me quit selling hunting stuff over a year ago. They have a fairly decent fishing section and the rest is basically workout clothing. If you need a pair of workout shorts or sweats, they might be the place go. The last time I was in there(the wife was looking for some biking shorts) they had a pretty good deal golf club grips...buy 10, get 1 free and free install. I got 11 clubs re-gripped for $65.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: captpete on February 02, 2020, 01:57:16 PM
The Dick's closest to me quit selling hunting stuff over a year ago. They have a fairly decent fishing section and the rest is basically workout clothing. If you need a pair of workout shorts or sweats, they might be the place go. The last time I was in there(the wife was looking for some biking shorts) they had a pretty good deal golf club grips...buy 10, get 1 free and free install. I got 11 clubs re-gripped for $65.
I don't care if they were giving items away I wouldn't take them... In fact they could shove it where the sun don't shine.
I'd go somewhere else and pay for the item at a store that supports the interests I love.

Cowboy

Agree with you guys on the anti gun jerks. I've boycotted them for a long time now. They had a tent setup at our local outdoor days last September.  They were doing drawings and giveaways. I stayed outside and refused to participate while I made myself heard to others how I felt and why I wouldn't spend a dime there ever. 

Mossberg90MN

Honestly... I hate Dicks. Went there a few times and it was always a disappointment... they don't really have hunting stuff. Seems to be geared more towards the average hiker.