Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Way to Condition Glass and Crystal?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 29, 2020, 09:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I've primarily hunted with mouth calls for many years. Always carry some pots but don't use them much. How do you prefer to condition crystal and glass? Back and forth in a straight line with a stone or one direction only? Also, do you wipe off the dust and particles on your shirt or leave them on the call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

SoDak_JD

My glass call is a Primos and I also picked up their conditioning stick.  I also watched their video where Will Primos shows what to do.

If you want to check it out, it's in the "How to Turkey Hunt" playlist on their YouTube channel.

LaLongbeard

I use a conditioning stone, or a small piece of drywall screen. Sand paper will work but I prefer the stone or screen,just blow the dust off the call. I push the stone back and forth same with the screen. I do keep it up and down top of call to bottom and then turn the call so the striker is running across the grain. In other words you don't run the striker in the same direction as the conditioning stone. Don't wipe the call on your shirt or anything else.     
      One other tip if you touch the conditioned area or it gets dirty etc. your striker will slip. Take some denatured alcohol on a cloth wipe off surface ,it will evaporate in a few seconds and your crystal/glass will be like new, just recondition and carry on.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Harty

I use drywall screen conditioning in one direction ie: 9 to 3 o clock. I wipe with a clean rag.I use dymondwood strikers a lot which can load the calling surface .cleans up nice with an alcohol pad and conditioning.

bbcoach

Conditioning stone, drywall screen or 150 grit sandpaper all work well.  Go 9 to 3 as Harty said and play 12 to 6 direction.  Clean your strikers, on occasion, with scotch brite or 150 sandpaper to get that friction.  I have a tendency to wipe off the dust on my pants but not necessary.

Jrkimbrough

I prefer a conditioning stone, seems to give a more uniform conditioning than the drywall screen I've tried in the past.

PA-strutter

I purchased a conditioning stone on a stick from buffalo valley for like $10. Does a good job but wish the stone was more course.

Mossberg90MN

I have both. The primos conditioning stick and some drywall paper.

Crghss

Went from conditioning stone to drywall paper, One direction. Dust it off with scotch brite.

Also scuff the striker from time to time.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Timmer

The drywall screen is a great idea.  What grit?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

bbcoach

Quote from: Timmer on February 01, 2020, 08:14:06 AM
The drywall screen is a great idea.  What grit?
150 works really well.  The drywall screen won't clog up when you use it on glass or crystal.

1iagobblergetter

I use heavy grit drywall sand paper. I believe it's 800 grit..
Sand in one direction and not back and forth or criss cross other wise your just sanding it back smooth. I usually just dust off lightly on my pants or leave it. I don't blow on the call because I don't want the chance of moisture on the playing surface right before I use the call.