OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your Deadliest Turkey Call?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 27, 2020, 12:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming6x6

I've got an old glass over American Chestnut pot call. It was made by a friend years ago, and has been the downfall of most of the gobblers I've killed the last 10 years or so.

bower7706

My Primos lil heart breaker will get em going when nothing else will

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Here turkey turkey turkey

Quote from: bower7706 on March 07, 2020, 11:55:59 AM

I have had my Primos heart breaker for around 8-9 years, The lip on the box broke but nothing a little hot gun glue couldn't fix.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

bower7706

Quote from: Here turkey turkey turkey on March 07, 2020, 12:08:40 PM
Quote from: bower7706 on March 07, 2020, 11:55:59 AM

I have had my Primos heart breaker for around 8-9 years, The lip on the box broke but nothing a little hot gun glue couldn't fix.

Mine is starting to look rough but still holding strong.

Here turkey turkey turkey

Mine don't exactly look new either, lol.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Seminoleturkey

No Hecs suit ?
Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 25, 2020, 08:22:58 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 25, 2020, 08:11:55 PM
Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 25, 2020, 07:45:08 PM
The acorn cruncher with some hen in heat turkey lure.  :funnyturkey:
I prefer to put out some corn syrup over the acorns to get their attention, and use my ozonics and scent blocker so that boss gobbler can't circle downwind and smell me. I then hide behind my 3 foot wide reaping fan. When he drifts closer after getting a whiff of that corn syrup, the final part comes into play. I have beaten his eyes and his nose, and from here it's too easy. I blow two short and sharp blasts on my hs strut squealing hen. Only difficulty at that point is killing him as he wildly charges in, before he attacks the fan and spurs me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You just need a bottle of Tink's Hot Hen scent and you will be invincible to turkeys!

owlhoot

Pappy's copper in osage pot. Woodhaven cherry classic crystal pot. Mike Yingling copper pot.
Spring Creek walnut/maple box.
One of Pappy's trumpets.

roberthyman14

Silence is golden

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: roberthyman14 on March 07, 2020, 09:32:03 PM
Silence is golden

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Especially with my calling ability. Usually best for me to yelp once, cluck twice, then throw the call to one side out of my reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Reaper

Woodhaven calls are my go to....but I've killed a lot of birds over the years with Primos calls - mouth calls and pot calls

Notsoyoungturk

Steve Mann Short Box Call (Walnut over Butternut)

Wendell Rye Lights Out Slate Call

Tom Teaser Butt Naked Hen Diaphragm
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

mhamby

Silence has been my deadliest call.
Kill em' with silence.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

GobbleNut

Trot linin' 'em is yur best bet.  Heer's sum hints...

Furst oft, yur corn has got ta be jist soft enuf ta stay on the hooks. If'n yur usin' thet thar feeter corn, ya' gotta soke it ovur nite afir ya' git to settin' yur line out.

Yur mane line has gotta be somethin' like paracurds cuz its gotta be strong in case ya git a bunch of 'em on thar at onced.  Cours, yur leeders gotta be perty strong to.  Ya dunt want 'em to brake that thar leader onced ya got 'em hookd on.  Ya'git a bunch of them tarkeys runnin' around with hooks and leeders hangin' outa thar moufs and afir ya knows it, the gol darn game wurdens is comin' after ya's.

'Bout fiftene of them hooks is guud.  Git to miny hooks on yur line 'n ya git a bunch'a them tarkeys on it all at onced an yur paracord cuud brake oft.  Then yur screwd.  Ya' gotta bunch of them tarkeys runnin'  round hookd up tagather skwaukin' n' hollerin' an afir ya no's it, them gol durn constipashun occifers is all ovur tha place luukin fir tha culprit thit dun it. 

Them leeders gotta be jist rite to.  If'n ther to short, them tarkeys wont bite yur hook 'cuz they gonna sea that thar paracurd. Them tarkeys ain't no dumys, ya know!  Now, if'n yur leeders is to long them tarkeys kin git to flyin' oft on ya wich meens they cuud brake yur gol durn line n thin ya got them durn occifers all ovur tha woods agin cuz'a them tarkeys with hooks a'hangin' outta ther moufs. 

Now, yur hooks is gotta be reel sharp to, 'n ya gotta hook that thar corn so's them bards'll git it way down n thar throte n ya hook'em in ther tung.  Ya caint hook'em in the beek cuz they wil git rite oft on ya. 

Thatz all fir now.  I dunt wanna giv 'way alls my seecrits.  Trot linin' fir tarkeys is a reel arts n' siyance ya kno.  Aint everi budy thit kin do it guud.
'N sumery, it Beets iny gol durn tarkey call out thar!  (but ya gotta wauch out fir them constipashun occifers!)   

shaman

This thread got me to thinking:  What exactly IS my best call.

What I finally came up with was it's whatever I pick up after the turkey hangs up.

Let me explain.  First off, I don't go out with a whole lot of calls.  I pick a few calls and run with them until I lose faith in one or the other, and then I swap out.  Some years are better than others.  Sometimes I do a lot of swapping and sometimes not. 

So I'm sitting there working a gobbler and he goes quiet on me.  That's fine.  He's probably still walking towards me. He may be trailing a hen. He may have stopped for gas and a snack.  I'm not giving up.  Now comes a choice.  What do I hit him with next?

Whatever I pick next for the deal-closer is my deadliest call.  It's not going to be my loudest call. It isn't going to be my sexiest call.  It's going to be something that makes him think there may be another hen there.  Often times (you'll laugh) it's my Quaker Boy Easy Yelper, just because I can work it with one hand while I keep the shotgun on my knee.  Either that, or it'll be a mouth call-- whatever's handy at the time.  As I get older and have less to prove, it's sometimes nothing more than moving a stick around in the leaves.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer