OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your Deadliest Turkey Call?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 27, 2020, 12:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_jabbo

I'm a huge woodhaven guy. I tend to stick with mouth calls, given the success I've had. The last couple years the Ninja Hammer has been my go to. For glass, the cherry classic crystal. This year, I'll be adding a new call to the mix made by Travis Wyatt at Sweetbriar Custom Turkey Calls. My buddy turned me onto them, and they make some sweet music when you run 'em. I have a feeling a lot of heads will get busted with that call.

Missouri hunter

David Hollaron Purple Heart and cedar box, if I had to use one call the rest of my turkey hunting, that's what I would have. I also use his wenge and walnut slate every day that it's not raining. I could probably kill any turkey that wants to die with either of these two calls. I got his double glass last year as well. Called in one bird for my brother with it but I think it's going to be an awesome call. I consider for myself though, that a good box is my most consistent and versatile call. I can make good hen or gobbler sounds on that Purple Heart and cedar. It's a loud call but I've found with one finger on the side of the box I can tame it for close calling off the roost or for birds that need to hear a little encouragement to break that 60-70 yard hang up.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

CAPTJJ

Mostly use mouth calls as a bowhunter and Hooks Executioner 2 has been deadly for me.

Jmarek

I tend to change calls up a lot during the season but the one I've used the most and have killed the most turkeys with has to be
a Neil Cost box call Walnut over Poplar I've used it for almost 40 years now ever since 1981

RutnNStrutn

My deadliest is usually a diaphragm call. The last few years I've been using a Hooks Manipulator.

Turkeyman

My goto call is a glass pot call. However, I'm working on a trumpet call for this spring hoping to somewhat perfect it.

tracker vi

My trusty Smith's Game Calls ST17 box.Working birds since 1979

roverboy

Its an old cedar scratch box. It don't look like much but, they seem to love it.
Listen for the gobble

paboxcall

A Snodgrass longbox. Can't even begin to count the number of birds that hammered this box in the past 20 years. If I can take just one call to the woods, its this one.

Quote from: tracker vi on January 28, 2020, 05:51:11 PM
My trusty Smith's Game Calls ST17 box.Working birds since 1979

Tracker - I had an all butternut Smith box, called in my first turkey to the gun with the little box.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

firedup

Makes me think. I have 2 of Mr. Smiths Sweet Butternut boxes put up some where. Like new. The 3rd I had really wore out some birds!  I usually use my own calls anymore but you can't beat a Cox or Buice trumpet, a Lonnie Sneed pot and a solid boxcall. In the fall I usually have a wingbone round my neck and an Eldeman or Hudson box close to hand. 

MS TurkeyHunter

I'm a mouth call guy personally. Modified Ghost cut is my go to. I feel confident in replicating any realistic turkey sound when running a diaphragm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Richard hudson snakewood over english walnut henbox. That thing just pulls the gobbles out and it has been batting a high average everytime I run it
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BBURN

I have to put my AOK Custom Calls Pocket Slate at the top of my list. As a somewhat new turkey hunter learning something new on every hunt, the only success I've had is with the Pocket Slate in my hand. I think the inherently soft but realistic sounds help me not screw it up by calling too loudly.  It seems like they can't handle the truth. Lol

Happy hooker

Steve Mann maple over mahogany shortbox

Stoner

Paul Calls Box Call, Persimmon Box and Curly hard Maple Paddle. Killed many many birds with that call.