turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Floppage"

Started by barry, May 08, 2011, 12:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I've read a good many posts on here where a bird is shot and NEVER flops.
I've been turkey huntin' over 30 years now and can only remember 3 birds that I have shot that never flopped and all 3 had some shot in the body/backbone area.
I've shot birds at point blank range filling the head/neck area with shot and they still flopped.
I've used copper coated lead most of the time and Win Extended Range the last 2 years.
I notice a lot of you guys use Heavy Shot, but can that be the difference?
Just wondering.

Crappiepro

I've hunted for 10 years or so and have always used Federal or Winchester #4 or #5's. Ive yet to see one not flop around after a shot, even the ones that someone else had shot that I was with. I just think it's part of the dying process, I dont think it matters what shot size you use LOL.

stinkpickle

There was discussion about this a while back...something about a pellet hitting the brain (or a certain portion of the brain) with the spinal column still intact.  I don't think it mattered what the shot type was.  I've had them flop and not flop with both types of shot.  In fact, the most destructive head and neck shots I've administered have all resulted in "floppage"...just like a chicken with its head cut off. 

turkey_slayer

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 08, 2011, 12:25:08 PM
There was discussion about this a while back...something about a pellet hitting the brain (or a certain portion of the brain) with the spinal column still intact.  I don't think it mattered what the shot type was.  I've had them flop and not flop with both types of shot.  In fact, the most destructive head and neck shots I've administered have all resulted in "floppage"...just like a chicken with its head cut off. 

Yeah that was me that started the thread.  I think it was sugar ray that gave the answer.  It does make sense that you have to hit a certain part of the brain for the heart and lungs to stop suddenly.  If you dont then the lungs and heart can still work the muscles.  I've "stoned a few"  but most still flop but not nearly as much since shooting TSS.

Snoody Bastid

Post-mortem vascular sporatic reflexes.
I just made that up but it sounds pretty legit huh?

Muskie03

Quote from: Snoody Bastid on May 08, 2011, 02:48:35 PM
Post-mortem vascular sporatic reflexes.
I just made that up but it sounds pretty legit huh?

Dr. Bastid I presume.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

30_06

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 08, 2011, 12:25:08 PM..In fact, the most destructive head and neck shots I've administered have all resulted in "floppage"...just like a chicken with its head cut off. 

That is what I have noticed as well. I dont know why, but it still suprises me.

sugarray

Also, I have noted some delayed floppage.  I wish my FIL would have gotten it on the bird my son killed.  He shot that bird at 53 steps with 1 7/16 oz of TSS #9 from a 20 gauge.  He went right down and didn't flop at all.  We just watched and nothing.  I then worked another shell in, put it on safety.  We climbed out of the blind, 3 of us and started that way.  When you see us running he had just started flopping and went through the fence.  It was weird with that kind of delay.  His heart had to have still be beating for it to work like that.
My bird I killed 2 days ago did same thing.  I shot him at 40 yds, with 2 oz of TSS #8 and he went right down.  I got up, worked a shell in, put safety on.  When I got up there he started flopping.  Delayed.

Tail Feathers

I've shot two that hit and didn't flop.

One then flopped when walked up and touched it, and the other began to flop on his own after about a minute without being touched.
Never had one that made it to the truck without flopping at some point.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

njdevilsb

My dad got one this morning with Hevi #7's at 30 yards.  He pulled the trigger and the bird just dropped.  We got up to him, looked at him for a second, then I grabbed his leg to see what he had for spurs, and he started going nuts.  It was a good head and neck shot.

The only one I remember not flopping at all that I got was the one I shot at 7 steps and all but took his head off.

redleg06

Im in the same boat... Been turkey hunting for about 20 years now and most of the time they do flop, regardless of range/distance, load, etc...

I've shot everything from Mag Blends to TSS and they still flop most of the time....even though they are dead as a hammer. 

I guess it may have to do with where I shoot them at (in the waddles) as opposed to in the head but even times when Ive shot them in the head (if they wouldnt come out of strutt or some other factor) they still flop more often then not.

hobbes

Composition of the shot wouldn't have a thing to do with them flopping or not.

My son's eastern CO bird never flopped.  He was shot at about 25 yards with winchester xx mag #6 lead.  He went straight down, the fan came straight up, spread out, and that was it.  I may have had another do that, but that is the only one I remember.

GOLD HUNTER

i've been turkey hunting for nearly 25 yrs I've shot them with everything from copper, hevi shot, TSS shot and they still flop.  Can only remember a few that did not flop and they too were shot with the same ammo.  I don't see that it makes a difference if they flop or not just long as you get your bird.

I've had more to flop than not to flop.  :smiley-char092: 

Brian

IowaNate

I shot one at about 15 yards with 1-3/4oz of copper-plated #4's. It knocked him over, but then he stood up with his neck fully extended forward like he was trying to gobble (with no sound) while rocking back and forth like a drunken sailor for about 10 seconds. He fell back over and started to kick in circles for another few seconds. I'm sure he was dead when he first hit the ground, but his body just didn't know it yet.
Lead shooter for life! Know your gun, know your shell, pattern multiple times, know your effective distance, and practice the calls...and the Pb #4's will put 'em down everytime!

hoyt

All the ones I've killed have been floppers.