News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to the forum

Started by Missouri hunter, January 17, 2020, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouri hunter

Hello all,
My first time on the forum here. I got into turkey hunting in 2009, I was 20 years old. I had been hunting small game and deer since I was 11. I also tried one fall turkey hunt but I just ended up shooting squirrels the hole time. I was never captured by the turkey hunting I saw on tv, so I wasn't overly interested. Then when I found myself between jobs during Missouri spring season I thought, "nothing else to do, guess I'll try this spring turkey hunting out" I grabbed a couple box calls and on old pot call that people had given me, including on old lynch I had grabbed out of someone's trash when I was young. Headed to my uncles place and got out there right at the break of day. From the first gobbles I heard from the 2 toms on the ridge that morning my heart was pounding and I couldn't stop shaking. Couldn't make more than a squeaky sound on those calls either, but I was captured then and there. Those 2 gobbled for a good hour after fly down.
I stumbled around for two weeks messing up turkeys and learning the hard way. My uncle gave a few tips along the way and I finally got a hot late morning gobbler anyone probably could have called in. It was an amazing experience in the timber though. I called him in to 30yds with that old lynch with a cracked lid I dug out of the trash.
I've been after it like a crazy person ever since. Can't wait till spring gets here again.
Thanks
Missouri Hunter
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Bowguy

Welcome, there's a wealth of knowledge here. Just don't expect your calls to be all you want real long lol

tal

Decades later your heart will still pound and you'll still be making squeaking sounds on your call, at least I still do.

Harty

Welcome! Nice story. That's just how it happens. Guaranteed you will be buying more calls!

Magdump

That is a great story!  Welcome to the forum!!!

Missouri hunter

Thanks guys!
And yes, I've already dived off the deep end as far as calls. I'm using David Halloran and Dustin Jones calls now! That old lynch is on my desk now. Need to take it back out sometime though!

Greg Massey

Welcome to the forum ...from us Tenn guys ... Yes those turkey gobbles will raise the hair up on the back of your neck .. if your hearts not pounding , then it's not turkey hunting .. LOL..

Ctrize

Welcome and have a great spring.

turkey harvester

Welcome. What part of Mo are ya from?
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Muzzy61

Welcome. A lot of good guys on the forum with a wealth of knowledge and a willingness to share.

Once you're hooked, you're hooked....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Missouri hunter

Greg Massey,
I've run into some good guys from Tennessee hunting public out here in Mo.

Turkey Harvester,
I'm in Franklin Co. I hunt down southern MO a lot though. All public for me right now

Rick

Saved By Grace

GobbleNut

Welcome, friend.  Ain't nuthin' like spring gobbler huntin'! 
....the end

Greg Massey

Quote from: Missouri hunter on January 17, 2020, 01:35:34 PM
Greg Massey,
I've run into some good guys from Tennessee hunting public out here in Mo.

Turkey Harvester,
I'm in Franklin Co. I hunt down southern MO a lot though. All public for me right now
Yes , we hunted out of Alton Mo. and hunted the Irish Wilderness ...We would camp off the Eleven Point River for weeks at a time ...

Spitten and drummen

Welcome to the best turkey hunting forum around. Hang on , turkey hunting is a heck of a rollercoaster ride.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE