OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Iowa points?

Started by buzzardroost, January 08, 2020, 10:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

I'm having trouble determining if I need points or not to draw an Iowa nonresident spring turkey tag? I have no points but am considering applying so I can go before I draw a deer tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Your preference points will be separate for deer/turkeys,you could have 5 points for deer and none for turkeys. In other words you can't use deer points for turkeys. As for as points needed look on the Iowa site it shows the number of tags available and how many applications they received in 2019. Depending on the season you'll likely need at least one point to get drawn for turkeys.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

2eagles

If you do get an Iowa tag in an area I'm familiar with, I'd be happy to give a little advice. But remember you get what you pay for. Lol. I'm not sure at all, but I'd surprised if you need a point to get a tag.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: 2eagles on January 08, 2020, 05:08:02 PM
If you do get an Iowa tag in an area I'm familiar with, I'd be happy to give a little advice. But remember you get what you pay for. Lol. I'm not sure at all, but I'd surprised if you need a point to get a tag.
I thought that too and drew a point last year. If you look at 2018 there was almost even number of tags and applications in each zone and season even a few leftovers. Look at 2019 especially season 4( the longest season) way more applications than 2018. You might get one of the middle weeks but opening week and last season you'd be lucky first try.

The Southpaw

I would guess that you could have reasonable success with drawing a tag for the fourth season with no points.

Chad

They proud of their turkey in Iowa. Think I paid $275 last year. And they won't let you shoot #9 shot

2eagles

Quote from: Chad on January 10, 2020, 04:44:13 PM
They proud of their turkey in Iowa.
We have very special turkeys in Iowa and they're worth every penny of the cost of a tag. Come and spend!

fallhnt

I agree. All non residents need to be charged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

Since we are discussing Iowa turkey hunting, what are the prospects for hunting public land there?  How much is there,...how much hunting pressure,...and how's the turkey population doing?...

Chad

Quote from: 2eagles on January 11, 2020, 09:51:30 AM
We have very special turkeys in Iowa and they're worth every penny of the cost of a tag. Come and spend!

I used to live in Iowa, so it hurts a little going back and paying NR fees, LOL

fallhnt

Quote from: Chad on January 11, 2020, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: 2eagles on January 11, 2020, 09:51:30 AM

I used to live in Iowa, so it hurts a little going back and paying NR fees, LOL
Ya but.....when I go back I stay and eat free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

deerhunt1988

Zone 4 Season 4 applications nearly doubled last year when compared to 2017. I found this very interesting and pretty sure I know the exact reason why apps increased. Its the same reason I went to Iowa in 2018. A particular show shows a lot of turkeys dying on Iowa public land and people take notice!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 11, 2020, 05:56:05 PM
Zone 4 Season 4 applications nearly doubled last year when compared to 2017. I found this very interesting and pretty sure I know the exact reason why apps increased. Its the same reason I went to Iowa in 2018. A particular show shows a lot of turkeys dying on Iowa public land and people take notice!
Lol that's the truth and it doesn't take a detective to figure out there locations.

bdirks

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 11, 2020, 11:37:02 AM
Since we are discussing Iowa turkey hunting, what are the prospects for hunting public land there?  How much is there,...how much hunting pressure,...and how's the turkey population doing?...

From what I have been told, numbers have taken a hit, especially in the southern tier, the southern two rows of counties north of the Missouri line. Some biologists are speculating increased depredation from Bobcats. Last year was my worst year. I ate 2 Iowa tags. I had hens galore in the decoys but no Toms. My friends who hunt other parts of the state have said that they have seen decreased numbers also. Hopefully things perk up this year.

2eagles

Quote from: bdirks on January 11, 2020, 11:47:41 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on January 11, 2020, 11:37:02 AM

From what I have been told, numbers have taken a hit, especially in the southern tier, the southern two rows of counties north of the Missouri line. Some biologists are speculating increased depredation from Bobcats. Last year was my worst year. I ate 2 Iowa tags. I had hens galore in the decoys but no Toms. My friends who hunt other parts of the state have said that they have seen decreased numbers also. Hopefully things perk up this year.
Not trying to be a smarty pants at all, but a question here. Are the bobcats only eating the Toms? If you have lots of hens in your decoys, I suspect there is a good population and the Toms are with other hens.