OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Starting kids off

Started by Bowguy, January 07, 2020, 06:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

They make them in 20. They're not super forgiving but another option if that's your/her wish to use. You'll prob gain range but lose a little forgiveness. Next problem is being they're so tight she will prob need a sight. She may need one either way but I shot birds til maybe3 years ago w nothing but beads, except a Williams bolt on sights on an sp-10. She could have similar luck. Remember right now she's only trying it. Don't wanna kill her expense wise. You also don't want to short her something she needs.
Do you have an extra gun ready? Let her use that

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2020, 06:52:53 PM
They make them in 20. They're not super forgiving but another option if that's your/her wish to use. You'll prob gain range but lose a little forgiveness. Next problem is being they're so tight she will prob need a sight. She may need one either way but I shot birds til maybe3 years ago w nothing but beads, except a Williams bolt on sights on an sp-10. She could have similar luck. Remember right now she's only trying it. Don't wanna kill her expense wise. You also don't want to short her something she needs.
Do you have an extra gun ready? Let her use that
I only use the one shotgun, don't have the other. I would be fine with letting her use it but it is a 12. I have the old Hi-Viz sights on my 12 I could pull that off since I use a scope now and let her use that if it will fit on her vent-rib is she has one. Would that size be different or is that pretty universal? The front sight is magnetic so it would just go on the rib if it is the same.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

I'm not familiar w hi viz sorry but a magnet is a magnet. Rib sizes do vary do the bolt on type fo matter. Wilson sells a universal one fits most ribs

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2020, 09:02:25 PM
I'm not familiar w hi viz sorry but a magnet is a magnet. Rib sizes do vary do the bolt on type fo matter. Wilson sells a universal one fits most ribs
The one I have the rear sight attaches via some Allen screws and then the front sight is magnetic. Never had a lick of problem with the magnet moving and would still be using it but my eyes no longer are able to see it well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Ok well than the rear sight if not universal fits only one rib size. If it's universal you can attach to dif rib widths

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on January 16, 2020, 08:59:59 AM
Ok well than the rear sight if not universal fits only one rib size. If it's universal you can attach to dif rib widths
I would not be opposed to buying her a sight if she can't get one, I have always given stuff away to new archery hunters have started with new turkey hunters this year as well. Guy who helped me get into archery before my car accident really laid a good foundation helping me when I had nothing and now I believe it is all of our duty to do the same with others coming up.

John Koenig:

wchadw

so i am looking for opinions on this... my 5 year old (who is big for 5, 65pounds 4 foot) is dying to go hunting with me.  i "took" him deer hunting which amounting to sitting in a ground box blind on a powerline and looking thru binoculars and blowing grunt call.  I didn't really expect to see anything so I didn't even bring my rifle because i was scared that if i shot it he would be scared especially with a rifle.

I asked him if he wanted to turkey hunt with me and he gave me an excited yes.  he loves "playing" my turkey calls, etc.  He has a push pin he can yelp on good enough to not scare anything off so i figured we could both call and see what we could do. i asked if he wanted to just call one and not shoot? or if he wanted to shoot one and he said he wants to shoot.  I have considered just letting him come with me and see if we can call one up from a ground blind into a field and letting him watch him strut and gobble?

He has not shot a gun, but we have a 22 down where i hunt i was going to take him and let him try.  I have electronic ear protection for him to wear, etc.  I am looking at one of the Tristar G2 auto 410s for him to hunt with when he is ready to go.  i thought about starting him with 22 and then move up to the 410 with light dove loads to practice and only shoot a "turkey" load if he actually got a shot on one thinking the excitement would negate the extra kick. 

so, all that to say...  do you think 5 is too young? should i give it another year or 2?  i was 5 or 6 when i first shot my grandfathers ithica 20ga pump.  that think kicked like a mule. 

Bowguy

It depends on the child. My buddy Jimmys boy used to shoot a 22 and 410 at 4. That's no bs either. Most kids aren't ready than but he'd shoot until he couldn't hold up the gun and ask for help. Jimmy told him when he needed rest he'd have to stop for a little bit. The kid would cry.
You need to experiment w the 22. Than try 410 light loads. Perhaps in a lead sled or something. No opinions of sorts are needed, least not in the classic sense. You gotta determine the child's ability to do this and make the decision. We'll all help but the final decision needs to be yours. Don't hurt him, don't scare him. Take it slow

James gang

Auto 410 will have very little recoil.my son was shooting a 20ga.at 6 he would shoot it over and over loved it.It was an auto also (11-87 compact) the stock has different spacers to adjust lop with all the spacers its the same lop as a full size 11-87 good luck hope he gets a big one.

MK M GOBL

So Bowguy is spot on, all kids are different and would depend on that "level" they are at. It sounds as your son has been in the field with you already. Once you have him in that firearms shooting stage and he is comfortable with it.

So just to bring up something I have run into from mentoring. I had a young girl out turkey hunting, she went through our Learn to Hunt Turkey Program, classroom, and field & safety day. On the day of our hunt we (her, her dad and I) got to the point of her just having shot her first turkey, as we got up to the bird and I am getting the bird ready to take a picture, and I can hear her dad talking to her and the girl is in tears, I get up and go over and talk to them, and her dad was telling her how good she did and she killed her first turkey. This seemed to be almost overwhelming to her, NOT in a bad way but she had seen her older brothers hunt, dad hunt and such and this was her first "anything" out hunting, she had been along on hunts with dad before, watched him take deer and turkey and said he had never seen her like this before, she was physically shaking from the excitement of all of this. We took some time talked and took some pictures with her and dad.

Yup this is why I turkey hunt, mentor, youth hunt, "learn to hunt" and get some adult newbies turkey hunting.

Good Luck to you and your boy!

MK M GOBL

James gang

Thank you we need more people like you in our sport .

quavers59

TG for the Youth Turkey Day or Days to bring in New Turkey Hunters!  New Jersey has 1 Day + New York has 2 days.  So important to get a Youth started on the Youth Days!!