turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Starting kids off

Started by Bowguy, January 07, 2020, 06:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Hey fellas, hope you all had a good new year and I hope no one minds this post. I've posted similar things before but there's always new folks.
Spring is coming, lots of dads have hopes for children. Some young n this may be their first year. A few pointers to consider.
First, you need to figure eye dominance. You can't shoot righty and shoot lefty or you'll miss. Closing an eye could be unsafe, kills binocular vision necessary for range estimation. If you aren't sure how to figure this just ask.
Once they're ready to shoot you should explain what to do or what your commands are. They will try n automatically put their finger in the trigger. Best to teach now the correct way. Show stance, form, etc
Start them w a gun that fits. Don't expect them to enjoy hunting if they're wearing size 10 boots. Why an adult gun than?
Begin your instruction w a .22. It kicks softly and is not too loud. Double hearing protection (inner foam and outer muffs) make recoil seem less. Work up slowly and don't let them shoot full loads.
Go at the child's pace. When they're done you're done. Never pattern turkey loads in front of the child. Pattern the gun yourself and let the kid shoot light loads through it. While we're on patterning. Turkey loads are fairly tight, we often need a sight. Make sure the child is familiar w it. 
Don't over choke the gun. A long beard type load may not be the best for a kids first hunt. Have the gun throwing a forgivable pattern even if it means slightly less yardage.
Guys missing game consistently could make the kid disinterested. Better he passes a 40 yard shot and kills one dead at 32yds than misses the 40.
Here's one I though most guys knew but I've found out otherwise. Practice w the gear. That practice should include hunt simulation. Have the WITH AN EMPTY GUN practice walking n squatting into a ready position. Show them how to move left or right. Maybe place targets in the woods and have them turn towards a target to acquire it. If you have sticks, practice w em.
This shoulda been first, last and in the middle stress safety. Have fun n good luck

MK M GOBL

Always on point Bowguy!

What could be more important than a kid learning to hunt "right", if you're going to take the time to teach put your time into it. I have mentored young and old for the past 17 or so years and from 10 years old to a 67 year old, men and ladies. As long as they have the interest to learn I'll keep with it with them!

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Great point it could be any age needs help. Don't forget the girls boys

tomstopper

Spot on buddy... Nothing more satisfying than getting a youngster their first bird and all that goes along with it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

YES! My Son is a stud. But after watching some YouTube video's of kids shooting 20 gauge.... I went with a 410!

So LOP is a big deal... I already had a Remington Youth 1100 LT 20 turkey special! However the LOP was way way way to long....

Here comes the Mossberg Super Mini Bantam with adjustable LOP from 10"/12" wow! 10" is what he needs.

Just got it at Academy Sports for 289.99 all black. I'm going to have him start with light target loads... I want him to enjoy shooting not be scared of it.

We will take it slow... I'll keep OG posted on the results.
God bless everyone and be safe!

CALLM2U

All really good advice.  One thing my dad did with me when I was a kid to prepare for my first turkey hunt, was to get me in all my 'gear', backed up against a tree and he would place clays out at varying ranges for me to shoot.  It helped with getting used to real life situations where the bird was not in the perfect location, made me aim for a small target and of course it was instant results seeing the clay break.

I for sure will be doing this with my girls when they get old enough to hunt. 

Sir-diealot

I will be taking a first time turkey hunter out this year (Adult) She has gun hunted deer most of her young life (20's) She said she saw more turkey this year hunting deer than she saw deer and said she wanted to hunt them but did not know how so I told her I would take her. We are going to set up in my Pentagon blind because that has the room for two people, I just have to figure out how to teach without coming off like a drill instructor like I have been accused of in the past.

I am going to try to get her to play a few calls before the season starts so she can participate in the calling, seems like a good way to keep her interested. Also I have to let her know I will not take her unless we sight her gun in in advance. I think she shoots a 12 gauge, though she is a tiny little thing so maybe I am wrong there.

Any ideas on how to keep her entertained until turkeys show up? It will be my first time really instructing somebody in a hunting situation.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

The first time I take someone out I'm basically guiding them in a sense. They do no calling. As we hunt I let them into what I'm doing n why. If they called our odds would decrease most times imo. I want them to succeed or at least be close.
Here's sort something to think about. You wanna keep her entertained. The hunt should be entertaining. You should find birds. I'd personally have a bunch located. Not sorta located, exactly where they are n I'd be right near em.  Just like I'd do for my own hunts except I'd prob be trying even harder if that makes sense. I bet to some it does.
The night before I'd def roost one. Daylight breaks and we're in the game. If it flew down the wrong way I'd start on another I had located. From there as I worked him ,if possible ,I'd just give some info as to what we're doing, trying, etc.
20 years old and 12 ga ought to work if she's familiar w gun. My daughter is 19 and killed birds w a 12 for years now. She's only 5'. 2" tall. Remember turkey loads smart if you're not accustomed to em. Pattern gun for her. Let her shoot lighter loads. I just prob wouldn't feel the need to "trick" her by giving her a turkey load first time in the dark opening morn.
Don't take this wrong, if you're at all dramatic have someone else pattern/sight gun in. You can't cringe every time you shoot and expect her not to be worried.
If I didn't answer you questions or if you have more I'd be glad to help

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on January 14, 2020, 09:59:11 PM
The first time I take someone out I'm basically guiding them in a sense. They do no calling. As we hunt I let them into what I'm doing n why. If they called our odds would decrease most times imo. I want them to succeed or at least be close.
Here's sort something to think about. You wanna keep her entertained. The hunt should be entertaining. You should find birds. I'd personally have a bunch located. Not sorta located, exactly where they are n I'd be right near em.  Just like I'd do for my own hunts except I'd prob be trying even harder if that makes sense. I bet to some it does.
The night before I'd def roost one. Daylight breaks and we're in the game. If it flew down the wrong way I'd start on another I had located. From there as I worked him ,if possible ,I'd just give some info as to what we're doing, trying, etc.
20 years old and 12 ga ought to work if she's familiar w gun. My daughter is 19 and killed birds w a 12 for years now. She's only 5'. 2" tall. Remember turkey loads smart if you're not accustomed to em. Pattern gun for her. Let her shoot lighter loads. I just prob wouldn't feel the need to "trick" her by giving her a turkey load first time in the dark opening morn.
Don't take this wrong, if you're at all dramatic have someone else pattern/sight gun in. You can't cringe every time you shoot and expect her not to be worried.
If I didn't answer you questions or if you have more I'd be glad to help

No you made some very valid points and did not offend at all. I agree with you about roosting and all but my problem is I have to be in a blind because of my back, hips and knees, I am constantly moving. I may make half an hour on the ground if I was lucky then I would be in so much pain I would not do either of us any good.

I do know from hunting the property in the past that the turkey tend to go from one field to one of 3 trails every morning, that is why I chose the place I chose for my blind last year, that and there was another field behind, another maybe 75 yards to my right and  and intersection of pipeline pathways that the pipeline company keeps mowed and I view it as kinda like a turkey super highway if that makes any sense. Of course if they go low or to the field above us it could cause some possible problems. I do have 2 other blinds I could set side by side and try to get to before the turkey if need be, I was thinking of setting the one up in another spot and just hunting with her out of the larger blind so the turkey did not become spooked by it being over hunted.

I would not trick somebody with ammo, I have seen people do that to others and I do not consider it funny in the least unless it is a arrogant loudmouth and then I may be the one to set him in his place that way. I would never under any circumstance do it to a kid or a new hunter, I have seen where a kid would not touch a gun because one of his friends handed him a gun and told him it had no kick and it did.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Ok let me address trick the kid first. I'm not referring to having fun watching em freak out. That's asinine. Talking bout letting em shoot light loads only. The day you hunt they get a real load. Their adrenaline masks any extra recoil.
Like I said you want to know where they're gonna go. If you have a few blinds, either roost one at night and set one up if you can quietly in the morn or set both spots if you're sure they're using em and try n pattern them in the morn. It's still older information than roosting but if they're consistently using the top route and that's all you can physically handle that'd be your best bet. Two spots could be tough though. If that's all you have and they aren't there it could be a long sit.
Find as many as you can in as many areas as you can

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2020, 05:20:25 AM
Ok let me address trick the kid first. I'm not referring to having fun watching em freak out. That's asinine. Talking bout letting em shoot light loads only. The day you hunt they get a real load. Their adrenaline masks any extra recoil.
Like I said you want to know where they're gonna go. If you have a few blinds, either roost one at night and set one up if you can quietly in the morn or set both spots if you're sure they're using em and try n pattern them in the morn. It's still older information than roosting but if they're consistently using the top route and that's all you can physically handle that'd be your best bet. Two spots could be tough though. If that's all you have and they aren't there it could be a long sit.
Find as many as you can in as many areas as you can
Ah okay, thank you very much for the advice.

John Koenig:

Bowguy

It can be hard from afar but when I learned no one told you anything. Sure most guys on here experienced that. A fellow in my archery club didn't forewarn me of things to look for but once I told him what happened he'd comment what I should have tried.
Just keep mentioning what happens and guys could help but realize, I do understand physical limitations. But a bunch of it could limit you further. Don't give up, just find ways around it

Sir-diealot

I found out she has a 20 gauge, she says her father took the chokes and the plug out of it when she was a young teenager so I am guessing that means she has some for of bird barrel. Other than TSS what is a good ammo to suggest to her?

John Koenig:

Bowguy

If the chokes are completely out don't shoot the gun. You need a choke in. Get a reg factory full or even mod choke. You may lose a pinch range but the advantage of a fogiveable pattern are great.
Forget TSS. She's not gonna spend big money to try this sport. Def not to pattern w that stuff.
Try federal grand slam loads. I tried em last year n was way impressed. Remington premier turkey loads might work too. Forget most the rest unless you come across Winchester supremes. They're discontinued. I'd just try the federal. Remember to pattern/sight in her gun

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2020, 06:10:54 PM
If the chokes are completely out don't shoot the gun. You need a choke in. Get a reg factory full or even mod choke. You may lose a pinch range but the advantage of a fogiveable pattern are great.
Forget TSS. She's not gonna spend big money to try this sport. Def not to pattern w that stuff.
Try federal grand slam loads. I tried em last year n was way impressed. Remington premier turkey loads might work too. Forget most the rest unless you come across Winchester supremes. They're discontinued. I'd just try the federal. Remember to pattern/sight in her gun
Thanks for the reply. I do know not to shoot it without the chokes in but I do thank you for looking out for our safety. I defiantly will take her to pattern the gun, I would not take her out unless I knew it had been done, we own it to our quarry no matter what it is or what tool we use to be sure of an ethical shot.

I am using the Winchester Longbeard XR's in my 12 but do not know if they are made for 20 gauge. I will also look into those you suggested as well.

John Koenig: