OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old 20g hand me down

Started by YukonC, January 04, 2020, 09:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukonC

My father and law gave me this shotgun a few years ago and I haven't given it any time. It needs some work it has a broken plastic trigger Gaurd but I'm thinking this shotgun could hunt? It can only accept 2 3/4 shells so I'm guessing my range would be real limited.  It has the permanent adjustable choke so no changes can be made there. Going to hit the google machine for a manual on this Mossberg 185kc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

A friend of mine hunted with one similar to yours about 30 yrs. ago. I watched him kill quite a few ducks with it. He was actually pretty fast at running that bolt action.

YukonC

Well I was doing my research I could only fiend a few comments on random hunting forums. Most of them said that back in the 60s bolt action shotguns were considered dangerous so they stay away? Something about the boot assembly failing?? From what I have read this shotgun is mid 1960s.

ol bob

With 2 3/4 tss #9's it will kill any turkey that you should be shooting at.

YukonC

Quote from: ol bob on January 05, 2020, 09:36:46 AM
Are you talking Apex brand specifically?

paboxcall

Exactly. I shoot 2 3/4" loads of TSS #9s out of a 20 gauge. No problem. If you don't handload then Apex loads are a good option as suggested. Will be interesting to see what your poly choke will do at 40 yards.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

YukonC

Quote from: paboxcall on January 05, 2020, 09:45:31 AM

Exactly. I shoot 2 3/4" loads of TSS #9s out of a 20 gauge. No problem. If you don't handload then Apex loads are a good option as suggested. Will be interesting to see what your poly choke will do at 40 yards.
I might try this out when I go pattern my 835 in the next few weeks. I'll see if any are available on the website.

davisd9

Make sure it can handle the pressures. Just because the shell length is right does not mean it was made to handle the pressures of modern shells.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1iagobblergetter

I think if I had other guns for turkey hunting I'd go the safe route and just shoot plain old lead that you know it was designed for.
40yds and under its been killing them for years..
Imo if I have to shoot them further than that im not a turkey hunter im a turkey sniper.

YukonC

That seems like sound advice.

crow

I hunt with a single shot 20 gauge Savage from the 60's, fixed full choke.
Fed factory HVWT and hand loaded 2 3/4" TSS, like ol bob said it will shoot tight turkey patterns far.

I called Federal, their shells (and my reloads) are safe in the 1960's gun.
contact Foxtrot Ammo (custom TSS loads) ask him about your gun with his load pressures.

also if your polychoke is stuck on modified your gun might shoot a tighter center core pattern with TSS #8 shot, tell him that and see what he recommends.

paboxcall

Quote from: crow on January 06, 2020, 09:04:32 AM
Fed factory HVWT and hand loaded 2 3/4" TSS, like ol bob said it will shoot tight turkey patterns far.

contact Foxtrot Ammo (custom TSS loads) ask him about your gun with his load pressures.

also if your polychoke is stuck on modified your gun might shoot a tighter center core pattern with TSS #8 shot, tell him that and see what he recommends.

Excellent advice, Crow!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mtns2hunt

Quote from: paboxcall on January 06, 2020, 12:52:26 PM
Quote from: crow on January 06, 2020, 09:04:32 AM

Excellent advice, Crow!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

That is good advice. I would also be sure to have it checked out by a competent gun smith. Personally I am not a fan of poly chokes but would consider replacing the poly and having it modified for screw in chokes. Especially if I considered this a project gun.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

trkehunr93

That guns almost 60 years old, like others have said get it looked at by a trusted gunsmith and even then I would only run field/high brass loads thru it or maybe look into Hevi Shot's classic doubles line of shot if you want a lead free option.  Ammo's come a long ways since the mid-60's and I'm not sure it would be up to TSS.

ol bob

That bolt action gun is as strong as or stronger than a break down single shot made today, any gun made after 1950 in the USA has  good steel in it.