turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What load for 870 super mag

Started by lmbunch69, January 01, 2020, 08:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbunch69

Got a super mag with a 21in barrel. Shoot it with a .665 indian creek. What non-tss load would you guys recommend?

Gooserbat

Longbeard #6 but I don't really recommend anything but tss. 

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dr Juice

HS #6s or #7s to start with and let the gun show you which one is better on the range of these two options.

hoythunter

In my 26 inch super mag I have been shooting 3 inch longboards 5 shot 1 3/4  oz with carlsons longboard choke with great results. I constantly get in the 150's in 10 at 40 yards

bbcoach

The 870 with a IC .665 shoots several loads really well.  If you want a load that won't break the bank then grab the Longbeards in 5 or 6's.  Hevi 6 and 7's are a step up from the LB's.  And TSS 9's would be the best but the most expensive. 

jmart241

Mine does well with longbeard 5s with rem super full and 665 jellyhead

davisd9

If I was going away from TSS I would look at the Kent TK7s or the Longbeard 5s.  I would not trust Hevi to produce a consistent shell.  I was a huge fan of the Hevi 3.5" 6s but when they were charging me a lot more for dramatically lower patterns I started handloading.  Either the Kent, if you want a HTL option, or Longbeard 5s should do just fine.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeytider

JMO, but the two best, and common, non-TSS loads on the market are the previously mentioned Winchester Long Beard and Hevi-13`s in 5 or 6 shot. I`ve patterned and used both in my 870 Super Mag with a .660 Jellyhead and they do an excellent job in patterning and dirt napping turkeys out to 40 yards.

lmbunch69

thanks guys. I tried a 3in longbeard #6 through it last year and it shot nearly a foot high. Looks like ill be looking at some hevi shot

Turkeytider

Quote from: lmbunch69 on January 02, 2020, 09:55:47 PM
thanks guys. I tried a 3in longbeard #6 through it last year and it shot nearly a foot high. Looks like ill be looking at some hevi shot

Or, put a red dot on it and shoot whatever you want.

Gooserbat

Quote from: lmbunch69 on January 02, 2020, 09:55:47 PM

That's a point of impact issue.  Sights are your friend.  I've got Tru Glo mag Gobble Dots on all my dedicated turkey guns. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

As stated, you have a point of impact issue.  Aftermarket sights, scope or red dot will fix this.  My 835 shot about 6 inches right and low but after a red dot I can shoot whatever I want.

Ihuntoldschool

They usually do well with a 3.5 inch Winchester Supreme 2 ounce High Velocity load of #5 shot.
Point of Impact, could be the gun, could also be the shell, I have seen Longbeards shoot way different point of impact compared to all other lead loads even with same choke in same gun. Federal Turkey Thugs would probably shoot well if you can find some.
With that gun and choke, any 3.5 inch lead load of 5 or 6 shot will kill well out to 40 yards if POI = POA.

kytrkyhntr

Shoot hevi-13 number 6 3inch and start the deep fryer
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

lmbunch69

I hunted last spring with the 3.5in double x #5 and poi/poa was perfect with my bead. Only issue was the numbers at 40 was like 70 in the 10. Could it be a bad lot number or just a fluke?