OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Third AEDC WMA Long Beard Down in Southern Tennessee.

Started by Nimrodmar10, May 07, 2011, 03:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

Birds have gotten pretty quiet here since most of the hens have started incubating their eggs. I didn't roost a bird last night so I put the decoys out in a likely spot but didn't hear a bird by 7:30 a.m. so I started driving the area and trying to get a bird to gobble. I drove to an area where I'd seen a bird strutting at 5 p.m. yesterday. I cut with a box call and the Turkey gobbled about 300 yards into a swampy hardwood. I geared up and headed in after him. He was still gobbling on the roost at 8:00 a.m.  I was 100 yds. from him when he flew down. Took me 45 minutes to get him to 20 yds where I could see him in the heavy undergrowth. He came in slow and sneaky. I was shooting the Remington 11-87 3" Turkey Gun. At 20 yards the white hull Hevi-13 #6s put him DRT. The bird weighed 20 lb. 11 oz., had a 11 1/4" beard and 1 5/16" spurs. When I cleaned him he'd been shot maybe two weeks ago. Looked like #5 lead eat his breast up pretty good but nothing made it into the vitals.  Looks like a long shot that dropped to low. I'm guessing that's why he was still in the tree at 8 o'clock. But it didn't seem to have hurt his gobble. One more bird to go and 8 days to get it done. Wish me luck.  These Management Area bird are tough.

[attachment deleted by admin]

WiLL B

strutnva

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

cannonball

MarkJM

Wow, he has got a thick beard on him, congratulations man
MuellerCustomCalls

Hognutz

Congrats on the big gobbler. That beard is a trophy..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkey slayer