Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Well, time outdoors is better than the alternative.

Started by keyser12ga, May 07, 2011, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyser12ga

It has been a trying season thus far.  Two days before the opener, I was going over my gun making sure it was good to go and my ring for my red dot broke and no one had a replacement anywhere in town.  I ended up having to go buy Williams Firesights and resight in the day before. 

Opening day, I had a good bird come in and hang up at 60 yards and triple gobbled for several minutes before walking off the other direction.  I have a really good pattern but it was around 20mph winds and I wasn't totally comfortable taking the shot with the new iron sights.

I spent probably 50 some hours on public land the past week and the birds were silent.  I only saw 2 and one was in a coyotes mouth and the other was on adjacent private property.

I am really KICKING myself over an incident the other day.  I had the same gobbler from day 1 run down a ridge directly in front of me, he stopped and gobbled at 55 yards but there were alot of saplings around him.  He continued to about 45 yards but was directly to my left and I didn't think I could get turned without spooking him but he was looking straight at my decoys so I made the error of assuming he was going to continue coming in, so I didn't even try, and then.....he gobbled, went to half strut and headed straight to the field directly away from me another 75 yards expecting the hens to follow and gobbled out there for 20 mins before leaving the area, the wind picked up and the rest of the day was silent.

The Lord has blessed me in allowing me to spend so much time in his creation and it isn't over yet.  I did find a bunch of mushrooms which was cool and the landowner was gracious enough to let me keep all that I found.  It was approx 9lb's that day.  Here are some pics:

harvester

Sounds like you have a good time out there. Keep after them and that is one heck of a pile of mushrooms. I would just about rather have ther shrooms as a turkey. lol. Can't find any this year, mushrooms that is. Good Luck.

unclerick

A bad day in the woods is always better then a good day somewhere else.

Them mushrooms look good, I have never found any on the places I hunt, bet they'll eat good.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

ElkTurkMan

That's a great looking pile of mushrooms.  I love those deep fried!

gob09