OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#100 final chapter

Started by TRKYHTR, May 07, 2011, 01:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

As some of you might remember I posted about the Quest for 100 about a week ago. Thanks to suggaray you guys already know I accomplished that goal. It was a months worth of hunting/trials packed into 6 days and 3 states. Long story short Joey and I finally started getting into turkeys on Sunday afternoon and we roosted a turkey that night. We got set up on him Monday morning and had a great flydown and kill hunt with the turkey gobbling 100 times in the tree. Joey was up first as expected and he smoked the turkey. Thats when it got interesting. By the time I was able to see Joey and the turkey together they looked like they were trying out for DE with the Packers. Feathers were flying, fur was flying, body parts were flying and Joey finally ended up on top. Although you probably could have made 3 pillows from all the feathers that were lost in the struggle. If the camera had not been left in the truck in 20 degree weather I might have got it all on video and won a million dollars on Americas funniest home videos but as it turned out I still have to show up for work on Monday. I had to do some in the field taxidermy work just so the pictures wouldn't be called the snaggletooth gobbler. It all worked out and it was time to get down to business again cause it was my turn. We got 3 other gobblers to answer and almost sealed the deal twice but it wasn't in the plan. Joey and I roosted gobblers that night and we were set up on a gobbling turkey the next morning. I mean this turkey gobbled 200 times before he flew down. When he did flydown he walked off with 10 hens and we could never get in front of him. We tried 2 different areas and finally went to an area we found some fresh scratching the day before. I heard a turkey gobble while we were driving in so we stopped and chaos began in the preperation of the hunt. We finally got set up on the turkey and he gobbled good but just wouldn't come in. He had 8 or kore hens with him and just wouldn't leave them. After several moves andan almost sure perfect shot I finally made a move that worked and walked right up on the turkey. We had called him for 2 hours and several gobbles I was within 25 yards on that gobbler and ended his day badly. I was wore out and had to lay down for awhile, next to my turkey before I could even take a picture. So our SD turkeys were done and we were going to head to WY. We drove that afternoon 5 hours into WY to the north black hills and all the roads were closed because of snow. So we decided to go to the Indian Reservation. After 3 1/2 hours of driving we were told that not only were the tags 175.00 but we also needed a guide. The guide would cost between 500-700. Thats was way out of my budget. We looked at the map and realized we were only 20 miles from NE. So we headed there without any notice, game plan, leads or knowledge of the area. We had been driving since 5:00 am and it was 11:00 am when we arrived in Valentine NE. After getting my a tag and talking with a NE officer, and giving him a few mouth calls, we had some idea of where to go. By 2:00 pm I had made another move on another big gobbler and at 30 yards # 100 was riding back to the Motel in the back of the rental car. Joey decided he wanted to get a tag as well and used the Motel computer to print out a tag. We were on our way to another area that the DNR officer told us and we spotted a strutter on the ridge of some public land. We got on the road that lead towards the gobbler and when we crested a small rise we drove right into 5 longbeards and 1 hen. The scramble was on again and within 15 minutes of getting a tag Joey had another gobbler riding in the back of the rental car. I could go on for hours writing about our trip, the animals seen and the fun that was had but I am tired and I'm already to long. Here are some pics of our SD/NE turkey hunt. Thanks to everybody for the kind words.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stinkpickle

Let me be first to say CONGRATS!!!   :you_rock:

I'll digest your wall of text later.   :D

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

trkycaller

JVA54

:icon_thumright:  Congrats!!

Crappiepro

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

fl panhandler

Way to go, Joe.  Good things happen to good people.  That's quite a feat to be able to be blessed with accomplishing.  Congrats. to Joey also.  It looks like he is well on his way to #100 also.
Rick

WiLL B

Good deal man! Enjoyed the read and great pictures too!

Flydown

Congrats Joe! That is a great accomplishment buddy. I look forward to seeing pictures of your quest to 200! :z-guntootsmiley:

Hognutz

Congrats, Joe. That is quite an accomplishment. Mike   :z-winnersmiley:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

savduck

Awesome. Congrats. those are some nice birds.
Georgia Boy

HARDCORE

What a great season Joe, congrats!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

You reached 100 and killed the biggest bird of your career, doesn't get any better than that.

Ive been honored to share a spot on the same contest team with you this year, its been a blast.  :you_rock: :you_rock:

I'm looking forward to next season already, cant wait to see more of your pics, videos, and to read about your adventures in the turkey woods.

Again, let me say CONGRATULATIONS killer!

HC

barry

Hardcore said it all.
Big Congrats on hittin' the century mark!

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobblers,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!