OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My first WV bird!! Double beard!!

Started by sugarray, May 06, 2011, 04:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

I am getting a little extra money working about 20 mins east of where I live. I have a colleague that lives within 10 mins of the hospital so she let me hunt.  Her husband and I were standing on the ridge top, in one of their fields and this guy cut loose about 730 last evening.  He gobbled a second time and I knew where he was.  I was up at 345, out the door at 400 and set up at 530.  It was a long walk.  I set up right infront of some greenbriars and put a down fall limb to my left where I thought he would come out.  He gobbled at 550 and I responded with a soft tree yelp.  He gobbled a few minutes later and I yelped again.    I did a short fly down and a light yelp and he answered.  I knew he was coming.  In about 5 minutes he gobbled like I have never heard before about 20 yds away.  He was to my left and behind me so I sat still.  I finally heard him and then saw him and he came through the fence 5 yds to my left.  Walked straight to the decoys and then past them.  I shot him at about 40 yds.  He never strutted nor payed a lot of attention to the decoys.  He flopped some.  Man he is a nasty bird.  Wound on his head and under one wing.  Tail is all beat up.  Seems to only be a 2 yr old with 1" spurs.  Also, beard just has a few strands in the center and a 2nd beard broke off right at the nub.  My first double beard on the ground after only 23 mins.

Hognutz

Congrats on the bird, Ray. Do you figure he was shot before, or did he get the wounds from a fight? Either way, he is a dandy.. Well done..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

Congrats on a great bird! Looks like he had been whooped up on  :z-guntootsmiley:

sugarray

Quote from: Basser69 on May 06, 2011, 04:54:51 PM
Congrats on a great bird! Looks like he had been whooped up on  :z-guntootsmiley:

This is what I think. His tail was all beat up too.

trkycaller

tjh24

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Jay

:you_rock: ;D You need to get the bird that whiped his butt.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

cannonball

WVhuntEER

BowBendr

Tail Feathers

Congratulations on getting that gnarly old tough guy!   :you_rock:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

vaturkey

Vaturkey