turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Outfitter tip - sort of .....

Started by MAK, November 22, 2019, 01:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAK

Traveling to SD spring from PA - going do some sight seeing ( and hunt WY) a week before my hunt starts. Outfitter offered to let me stay with him and " save the motel bill " - I'm in , but .... I think I should pay my way.  I'll ask him directly but -?  The following week .  I have a semi guided package food lodging mix private and public ground black hills.  Place is rustic and Small operation.

Owner told me he'd probably buy a tag in Wy and we'd go together he's been doing one man operation for over 10 years.

I'm thinking I should tip him 20% of hunt cost for second week - if everything is as stated but how much for first week.  I think first week lodging only but if meals are included and he gives me guidance in Wyoming  would another 20% be fair.

I've traveled in the past. Always semi guided and tipped help but this deal is different

Don't let me screw this up - I may want to go back !!! But I'm an retired old fart so gotta be smart with my funds.

Thanks

MAK

PA-strutter

You could tip him the money you're saving on the hotel. Especially if he throws in some homemade meals. Just my .02.

Tail Feathers

The tip comes at the end of the hunt.  I bet you'll have a better idea by then.  Good luck this spring!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

MAK

Thanks

I've talked to this guy a lot ; he seems like real down to earth guy. Just gonna have to play it by ear and take extra cash. Cv   I'm really looking forward to this black hills trip.

PA-strutter

Quote from: Tail Feathers on November 23, 2019, 09:51:46 AM
The tip comes at the end of the hunt.  I bet you'll have a better idea by then.  Good luck this spring!

I think this is very good advise, see how it goes before planning on how much you're going to tip. I'm going on a DIY hunt with an outfitter in April of 2020, and I am going to use this logic myself.

Crghss

Very few people tip anymore, except at restaurants/bars. So anything is more then he's expecting I would guess.

As stated see how trip goes and tip accordingly.

I took first trip to SD last year. Had a blast. Going again this year with brother. Have fun.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Ctrize

Asking early never hurts. Letting him know your willing to carry your weight will help the hunt. Tips are always welcomed but subject to the hunt and effort put forth. Good Luck!

Tom007

I wish you best of luck. I am retired, I know how you feel. There are a few thoughts on this. I always tip the bartender before I drink. Brings on a much better experience. If this guy is going to help you in the field, a tip in the beginning could lead to better success for you on your hunt. Just another way to look at it. I wish you great success.....
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

My buddy and I usually travel together and we always tip. We usually do 10% on average fully  guided hunts, as the cost is usually higher and that's a pretty good tip. We tip the guide too, but we have no idea what he's getting paid, so we kind of just use $100.00 as a standard for a 3-5 day hunt. However, if the guide goes wayyy over board we take care of him/her pretty well. We booked an Osceola hunt in 2012 and tagged out in two days. The outfitter said his guide was done for the week and was free. After we found out he was only getting paid for one day with us (we went out the evening before our hunt, off the books and tagged a bird each) we asked him if he wanted to entertain us for a couple days. This young man took us hog hunting, swamping and spent daylight to dark with us and we had a ball. He about fell over when we handed him $300.00. His outfitter had told him there would be no extra pay from him. Yeah, I wouldn't work for that guy and no I'm not giving a name.

Since he's doing extra Here's a thought, on the first evening offer to take him out to a really nice dinner or buy some steaks to grill. Buy a gas card at a station for say $100.00 and give him too. Then see how the hunt goes and tip afterward accordingly. On the lodging since he offered it's his choice and kindness to help build a clientele, but still kindness in return is nice so stick %50 of your motel cost in an envelope and hand it to him at the end of the stay. If the trip is a cluster, then forget it and get out of dodge. I believe you pay for what you get, and free is not an excuse for less.

On his part, don't offer unless your doing your best. I have hunters come and hunt on me and I used to have lodging I would offer for free to those I trusted. We always treat them just like family. I expect nothing but a civil stay and clean up after themselves. With that said, it always makes me feel like they appreciate it when they hand me something at the end. I never expect anything like full cost of a motel, but it's usually in the range of 25-50% of that cost.

MAK

Thanks for the input

I'm just going to take extra cash with me and play it by ear.

I'm going to give him something for the first week , hopefully the amount doesn't affect the second week treatment.  To be honest I think this guy is genuine and sincere.

Now got to get these old legs ready for those black hills !  And lungs !!