turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Killing a Jake

Started by Fastcat, May 05, 2011, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I am less then a week away from my season here in Wisconsin.  I have been scouting the the farms I will be hunting and there are an abundance of jakes! True there are a few toms also. However this area is broken and it varies greatly where certain birds will be. I'm an experienced turkey hunter but have been out of the game for several years and I'm jumping back into it this year. My wife is expecting our first child(hopefully my little girl will hunt with me)! But baby showers and other obligations are breaking up my season! So long story short is it ok for an experienced turkey hunter to kill a jake? I love to hunt turkeys and I know killing a jake would not take from my experience.

sugarray

It is your hunt.  Killing a jake does not take anything away from the population or the experience for you.  If you are happy, kill him.  He'll taste good.

mason0366

IF your happy with it go for it. It is up to hunter . :z-guntootsmiley:

Basser69

I do not have a problem with it. If you want him, kill him  :z-guntootsmiley:

bad0351

This is your first chance out in the turkey woods for a while....Enjoy your hunt and smoke a jake!!
Next spring if you want....hold out for the HOSS....

:z-guntootsmiley: :fud: :turkey2:

Have a great time in the woods!!!

Dale
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

Fastcat

Thanks for the input guys! Who knows what I will do when my thumb is on the safety? I am a pretty hard core deer management guy and I understand that killing a young male turkey doesn't have the same effect on the population quality as it does on deer. But its a matter of pride!

chatterbox

I took a very good friend out yesterday, and he was able to harvest his first ever bird which was a jake!
One of the most rewarding and exciting hunts I have ever been on!
Jakes taste goooood!
Point I'm making is that it's your hunt. If you are happy, that's all that matters!

TauntoHawk

Ive killed jakes on some very memorable last day of the season public land hunts.

go for it
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

barry

Like others said before me... it's Your Hunt
Do as you please and be proud of it
BUT...
If there is any ego trip involved about just filling a tag then I say no, the bird deserves more respect.

Jay

It's a hunters choice, and nothing wrong with it.

savduck

Ive been hunting them over 22 years, killing them 19. I havent lost any sleep over the two I have killed this season. If your call brother.
Georgia Boy

turkey slayer

Quote from: barry on May 05, 2011, 06:12:05 PM
Like others said before me... it's Your Hunt
Do as you please and be proud of it
BUT...
If there is any ego trip involved about just filling a tag then I say no, the bird deserves more respect.

well said barry, I agree 100%

Fastcat

No ego trip here! I hunt for the experience and the love of being out in it. If a jake is the only bird that wants to visit my setup and bless my table. Then to quote Eddie Salter "he's big enough to ride in my truck!" 

cannonball

If you're happy with it, then that's all that matters.

njdevilsb

Drop the hammer and post some pictures.