turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chalking a box call

Started by logy, May 05, 2011, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logy

I bought a long box call from blackfalcon last year.. This year I noticed it sounded a little squeaky so I got to looking at the paddle and I notice I need to chalk it. What chalk is okay to use on it? Is there a special way on putting it on or do I just rub it on?

MarkJM

i use a non oil based chalk from hs strut. It works great and uts only 2$ or so. you can pick it up at your local walmart or traderhorn. If you have a dicks sporting goods around you, you can get it there.
MuellerCustomCalls

logy

any specific way to put it on?

MarkJM

just take the block of chalk and rub it on the spot where the most friction is applied.
MuellerCustomCalls

Danger DAve

Look for slick spots after you run it and give those a few strokes of chalk from time to time.  You can feel and hear the difference.

Devastator

the way i get rid of the slick spots is to rub a scotch brite pad with the grain very lightly to clean out all the build up.then i clean the lip of the box with the scotch pad very very lightly.then i chalk just the lid.seems to work very well for me.

Danger DAve

I've done the scotchbrite thing on the lip.  I'll be sure to try it on the slick spots.

culpeper

Well first my recommendation is to contact Dave at Blackfalcon, I know he stands by all of his work and he is most helpful and very knowledgable.  If not I would be very very careful wiuth messing with the sound rails.  I recommend you use Railroad chalk, it comes in yellow, while and a reddish color they are sticks about 3.5" long and you can usually buy them through a forestry supplier vendor.  Check google, you'll find it.  RR Chalk is one of the very best to use--I know as a call-maker I put a chunk of it in every box I sell.

blackfalcon

Feel free to call me or pm me if you need anything bud, right now I am hunting so am sometimes off the grid (computers and cell phone) no power outlets in the woods  :D  You can find my contact info on my "contact me" page on my website. I usually put info on box call care in the box when calls are shipped, perhaps I forgot. Rail road chalk is good to use, I use the red chalk that Oatsj was selling on here some time ago. Remember, avoid running fingers along the soundboards or underside of lid, doing so will transfer oils to the playing surfaces. At the end of the season, it is a good idea to wipe off excess chalk with a dry clean rag before storing heavily chalked calls, I chalk very sparingly as the chalk can absorb moisture.

ncturkey

What do you do if the chalk asorbs some moisture while hunting on a damp day? Would you still just clean it with a dry cloth to remove the wet damp chalk?

blackfalcon

Quote from: ncturkey on May 07, 2011, 10:06:23 AM
What do you do if the chalk asorbs some moisture while hunting on a damp day? Would you still just clean it with a dry cloth to remove the wet damp chalk?
My recommendation is to allow the chalk to dry if possible before wiping it off with a clean rag or paper towel, then reapply fresh chalk. I keep my calls in a Zip-lock bag when hunting, and on rainy days it is very difficult to keep them totally dry.