OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hands free or one handed turkey calls

Started by Sir-diealot, July 24, 2019, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Hey guys I met a gentlemen over on facebook and he has had a stroke and does not have use of his left had/arm. I showed him that turkey vest and attachment that would help hold the gun up (H.S. Strut version) and was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas that would help him with calls as well. I am trying to see if he will come over here be at this time I will be relaying ideas. Thank you for any help given, I really want to help this guy.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Old Timer

I have seen gadgets for sale that strap on your leg and immobilize calls for one hand use. Not sure who makes it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Timer on July 24, 2019, 05:03:38 PM
I have seen gadgets for sale that strap on your leg and immobilize calls for one hand use. Not sure who makes it.
Thanks, I am trying to find those as well. I actually ran into a thread here from 2014 where it was being discussed but I can't find any of the ones that are mentioned in that thread.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

I found a Primos Freak strap on box call and also a Pot call

John Koenig:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wchadw

if he can use a trumpet/wingbone there is a "cow horn" yelper i have seen people use hands free?  tuck bell end in a shirt pocket and hold mouthpiece in mouth? or i prop my gun on a short tripod stand and i have a shoulder holder for the gun butt and i run my trumpet one handed with my trigger hand right up on my gun basically..  when it comes time to shoot i just drop the trumpet and let the lanyard hold it around neck.

mouth call? don't know if that is a possibility?

or there is a push pin that has a magnet on it that you can stick on the side of a gun and work with one hand

Sir-diealot

Quote from: guesswho on July 24, 2019, 05:47:52 PM
How about a push-pin style call.
I also thought about that, found a magnetic one for him that would attach to the side of the receiver. I had one that would mount to the barrel and had a string that came back that worked well when it works. I have not heard back from him yet though, he may have had to go somewhere. Thank you for the suggestion.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wchadw on July 24, 2019, 05:58:40 PM
if he can use a trumpet/wingbone there is a "cow horn" yelper i have seen people use hands free?  tuck bell end in a shirt pocket and hold mouthpiece in mouth? or i prop my gun on a short tripod stand and i have a shoulder holder for the gun butt and i run my trumpet one handed with my trigger hand right up on my gun basically..  when it comes time to shoot i just drop the trumpet and let the lanyard hold it around neck.

mouth call? don't know if that is a possibility?

or there is a push pin that has a magnet on it that you can stick on the side of a gun and work with one hand

I was just looking at those cow horns this morning but did not think about that. I do not know if his face was in any way effected by the stroke but I will make that suggestion to him. Not sure about the mouth call for the same reason.

John Koenig:

Happy

I think the pot call that primos made with the strap was called the freak. I would second a push pin call and a diaphram call as well.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tal

I think guesswho hit the nail on the head. And I've heard good things about some push pins found on OG. Can't think of a better place to start for what you've described.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on July 24, 2019, 07:02:44 PM
I think the pot call that primos made with the strap was called the freak. I would second a push pin call and a diaphram call as well.
Yes it is the freak, they make it in both a box call and a pot call.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tal on July 24, 2019, 07:08:15 PM
I think guesswho hit the nail on the head. And I've heard good things about some push pins found on OG. Can't think of a better place to start for what you've described.
I am trying to get him to come over here, I told him that there are people here that have been through what he is going through, I am pretty sure there were 2 or 3 that had had strokes when I first got here last year. I think they would be able to understand his needs better than any of us. I absolutely agree through, push pin would be the way to go.

John Koenig:

Spitten and drummen

One of Shannons push pins with velcro. He would be set.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rzrbac

Push pin, mouth call or possibly a tube come to mind. The Primos tubes have the snap on reeds so it would be easy to set up.