OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Indiana bird

Started by logy, May 04, 2011, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logy

This is my 4th year turkey hunting and my 3rd bird, by far the best one. All of these birds have been taken on public ground also.

I've been busy with school work and getting ready for finals. So, I've been hunting when ever I get a chance, even if its for an hour. The past couple days a buddy of mine have been hitting some private ground hard. I have not heard one gobble this season until this after noon. I finished my last final and I looked outside and it was b-e-a-utiful. I decided to run home throw my hunting closes on and head out to one of my friends where his property butts up against some public ground. After trying to convince my buddy to go hunting with me I took off without him.

I have not had much time scout so my strategy was to run and gun. I got up top on a ridge line and would call every 100 yards or so. With in 10 minutes I thought I heard a single gobble, so i stopped to listen and I heard nothing. So I moved a little farther down called again, bingo, heard him this time and I have a general idea in what direction he is.  Did a couple more calls to try and pin point his location and found a tree to settle into. The first gobble was heard at 3:10 and when I put my foot on his head was at 3:36. I say I sat for about 10 minutes until I first saw him. He put on a awesome show for me. He would strut stick his head up and take two steps, strut, stick his head up , take 2 steps all the way until he got 35 yards from me and I pulled the trigger! Man was that awesome watching him strut. First time I have got to watch something like that. Boy, was my heart pounding too!

He weighted 23lbs, had a 10" beard, and had 32MM spurs (1.25 inches).

After talking to a couple of my friends they suggested that I get him mounted because he was such a nice public land bird! After hearing that I ran him over to get mounted!!!!!!

Here are a couple of pictures.. Sorry I should have gotten some better ones but I was just so pumped up! :z-guntootsmiley:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105423009345819996418/May42011#5603069075209215986

https://picasaweb.google.com/105423009345819996418/May42011#5603069132023170226

Wrangler95

:anim_65: :anim_65:

Very nice going,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

bowhunter84

JVA54

:icon_thumright:  Congrats!!

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobbler.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

hobbes

Basser69

Congrats on a fine bird!

and  :welcomeOG:

Solid Snake

Congrats on a nice bird!! Where are u at in Indiana? I hunt west central Indiana.

logy

Quote from: Shaw24 on May 05, 2011, 11:59:37 AM
Congrats on a nice bird!! Where are u at in Indiana? I hunt west central Indiana.

Bloomington in. Here

Solid Snake

Quote from: logy on May 05, 2011, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: Shaw24 on May 05, 2011, 11:59:37 AM

Bloomington in. Here

GO HOOSIERS BABY!!!! I got some friends down that way in Bedford.

cannonball

surehuntsalot

nice bird....congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

blackfalcon

Congrats on a fine public land gobbler buddy!! Did you get any pics of the long box with the gobbler for me?  :thanks:

turkey slayer

Great bird!! congrats!