turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

KUIU clothing

Started by slicksbeagles1, July 09, 2019, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Anyone know anything about Kuiu clothing?

Rzrbac

It's great for mountains out west, not sure it would hold up on the briars here in southern MO. I like their merino wool shirts. I have some pants and jacket but I've gained a lot of weight since I got it so I didn't wear it in CO this past fall. Anything specific you want to know?

Old Timer

I understand their gloves are top notch from what ive been told.

bobk

Quality lightweight  gear designed for big game mountain hunting. My experience is that it is sized small and not constructed for thick underbrush and thorns.

Southerngobbler

Iv'e never actually owned any but from reading reviews on other forums iv'e developed the belief that some of it could be noisy.  It never gained a following from tree stand users and they love their expensive clothing like we love our expensive calls.

trkehunr93

If your looking for high end, look into Sitka Gear or First Lite, they have lines that are more eastern hardwoods hunter friendly.  The merino wool from First Lite is nice, def. is naturally odor resistant and warm in cold temps sitting in a stand.  Sitka Gear really stands behind their products, I've used their customer service twice and I came away pleased both times.  I had a jacket that I wear as my day to day winter coat and the stitching came loose, they told me where to send it, fixed it and sent me a hat once I got back my repaired jacket.  I also had a pair of their merino liner gloves that the stitching came loose on and they sent me a replacement pair.  The First Lite stuff I have has held up well so far, I've had most of it for at least 5 years and its the bulk of my hunting clothes.   

slicksbeagles1

Thanks for the replies I was curious if anyone had any experience with the Kuiu gear. Looking at getting some and thought it might be as good as Sitka since the founder of Kuiu is the same person that started Sitka and sold out. It's all guaranteed for life

neal

I've got a lot of Kuiu gear and love all of it. I've owned lots of pieces for 4-5 years now. The one experience with customer service was great. I use it a ton out west and here in WI as well open camo pattern works great.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

30_06

It is good clothing, but not much of it built for static hunting. It is very much purpose built.

Esse quam videri

wvmntnhick

I bought a jacket and some base layers that I like well enough but only used them in CO for the week we were there. Their outlet clothing is priced right but doesn't allow returns. Planning to get a pair of their pants before returning out west again. As has been stated, I doubt it would do well in briars but it's good for trekking through the mountainous stuff. For hunting locally, I find myself using the Browning Hell's Canyon stuff. It's awesome and it performed very well out there too. But, it's also heavier and doesn't breath as well. If you're deer hunting, save some cash and look into that. If hitting the mountains, look at the kuiu stuff. Personally, if I could afford it, I'd have more kuiu. Having said that, I'm going to transition the Firstlite as my current hunting clothes wear out. It'll be great for here and there. That'll be a while though. I've been wearing the same gear for years and most is still in great condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmbunch69

+1 for Sitka. I've only got a vest from them right now but want more. The vest is super lightweight and beyond warm. Very quiet and durable

West Augusta

My hunting buddy's son wears it.  It may work well out west but it stands out like a sore thumb in the eastern spring woods.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Fullfan

I have KUIU pants, shirts and coat. Living in Pa, I only use it out west when I am elk hunting. Expensive stuff,  it was designed for layering and is light weight. Out west being 8-10 miles from  the road I don't want a bunch of heavy clothing. KUIU clothing lets me layer, keeps me warm and or cool.
Don't gobble at me...

zeke632

I've got KUIU pants and a jacket.  Rarely use the jacket for turkey hunting.  The pants are the most comfortable hunting pants I've ever worn.  Someone said that they stood out, but that's not been my experience.  They blend well when things green up.  Also aren't noisy & have held up, briars thorns and all.  Unlike a pair of Firstlite pants that shredded the first day I wore them... crippled a deer that went into a briar thicket.  They are literally shredded.   It's quality stuff, but it ought to be considering what you pay for it. 

Spitten and drummen

Good camo but over kill for me in the deep south.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE