OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

28 gauge Gobbler

Started by nbkillr, May 04, 2011, 05:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbkillr

At 3:30 yesterday my boss asked if I would like to join him for an afternoon hunt, and of course I jumped at the opportunity to get out of the office.  We arrived to the farm at 4:15. My boss hunted a longbeard on Saturday but could not get him to leave the hen, as we eased around the property being cautious not to spook any birds in the field.  I spotted a longbeard with 3 jakes about 300 yards across the field.  The plan was made to circle around and get in the woods north of him.  Since it is so late in the season here in Tennessee, the woods have really greened up and are pretty thick it was going to be difficult to see him coming to us.  My boss made two series of yelp and the bird gobbled back at about 200 yards away, he then put the call down saying he knows exactly where we were. Several minutes go by and the longbeard starts gobbling on his own and is moving towards us.  About 20 minutes go by when the next series of yelps are made and he immediately responds much closer.  I've got my 12 gauge in hand when my boss says to take his 28 gauge to kill the longbeard.  With much hesitation my took his gun knowing that he would have to be within 30 yards for me to take a comfortable shot.  The longbeard gobbles about 90 yards straight south where I'm facing and about 2 minutes later he pops up at 30 yards to the west off my right shoulder.  Luckily I am able to move on him as he is going behind big trees and gets directly north of us, making a half circle to us coming in.  Once he moves into a good clearing and close enough for a comfortable shot I took the shot and he hits the dirt at 22 yards.  My boss had some custom loaded 1 oz. load of nickled plated # 6.5 which hammered him pretty good. 

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice bird. He looks like a dandy..How big was he?  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

JVA54

Trip

bowhunter84

Wrangler95

:anim_65: :anim_65:

Very nice going,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

cannonball

lmbhngr

furtracker

Ky strutt n bust n

pretty bird. congrats!

nbkillr

Quote from: Hognutz on May 04, 2011, 06:03:20 PM
Congrats on the nice bird. He looks like a dandy..How big was he?  :you_rock:

Thank you all!!  He was 21 lbs. 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. 

Basser69

Congrats on a great bird  :z-guntootsmiley:

turkey slayer

nbkillr

Here's a video of the hunt, not that great since it was from a cell phone but  it will do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD4k1iNP4ok