OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who Else On Here Makes Their Own Laundry Soap

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, May 04, 2011, 03:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Just curious if anyone else makes their own laundry soap.  I got a lot of my friends that I work with making my recipe.  They love it.  For $25, you can have enough soap to last you for an entire year.  I like that.  And it works great.    

ILIKEHEVI-13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z2GAyTOLpw

I use a 3 gallon bucket instead of the 5 gallon bucket.  And I only do the soap on the stove.  I don't waste my time grating it though.  That takes way too long.  Just use a knife and widdle out thin shavings until you cut up the whole bar of Fels Naptha.  Just use a 2qt pan and fill about half full with water then add your shavings of soap and heat on about medium or just a little under that setting.  While my soap is heating I fill my 3 gal bucket about 2" from the top.  Add 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda.  You can also add 1 cup of baking soda if you like.  I have made it both ways and both will work.  The baking soda does seem to make your whites whiter.  Don't worry about stirring yet.  You will have to heat the soap for about 10 to 15 min stirring occasionally.  Then just pour into your bucket.  Then stir up with a big long spoon for about 1 min.  Let set overnite and it's ready to use.  I usually just keep some old laundry containers and put the detergent in.  You will have to stir it back up since the soap will be a thick gel from sitting overnite.  This will make it easier to put it into your detergent bottles.  Or you can just leave it in the bucket and maybe cover it with a lid or piece of plywood or what have you.  

This stuff will save a person tons of money over the years.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

I usually buy 5 bars of the Fels Naptha at a time so I have plenty.  It's about $1 a bar.  It's actually a laundry bar soap used to remove stains by some and it smells ever so good.  I also buy the Borax 2 at a time as well as the washing soda.  The washing soda can be hard to find.  But if you have trouble locating it in your area, call Arm & Hammer and they will tell you where you can buy it.  1-800-524-1328

This will make you several 3 gal buckets of soap.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

It's best to pour this soap on your load of laundry after the tub has filled up.  Or your can do it before by starting your washing machine and let the tub fill a little beforehand then dump in your soap and then add your clothes.   You can just use what you normally use with other detergents.  

Try it and let me know what you guys think.  This stuff won't soap up like other detergents so don't expect it to.  But it will clean your clothes about as good as any detergent and cost you way less doing so.

ILIKEHEVI-13

If anyone has any questions about making your own laundry soap, shoot me a pm or I can try and help you here with what I know.  This stuff works guys.  I wouldn't come on here and tell you to try it if it didn't.  That's why I use it.  Think about all the money you spend buying laundry detergent in just 1 year alone.  And the stuff keeps getting higher.  You can make your own for pennies a load and it's so dang simple even I can do it.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

All the people I have making this stuff now has thanked me.  One woman I work with told me I wished I would have started making this stuff years ago.  One girl I told about it makes a 5 gallon bucket at a time.  You can do it that way as well.  

Solid Snake

My parents use this recipe to make their own and love it. I'm going to make a batch this weekend - it does save a lot of cash and every little bit helps right now! Thanks for posting this HEVI.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Shaw24 on May 06, 2011, 10:55:27 AM
My parents use this recipe to make their own and love it. I'm going to make a batch this weekend - it does save a lot of cash and every little bit helps right now! Thanks for posting this HEVI.

You bet.  And let me know how you like it.   Like I said, I don't recommend pouring the soap directly on delicate items.  Let the tub fill about 2" and then pour it in.  Then you can add your clothes. 

Solid Snake

Hopefully I'll be using it this weekend to get some TURKEY BLOOD out!!  ;D ;D ;D

Turkey Trot

Can one make a stain release agent that is effective as Wisk for cleaning shirt collars, stains, etc.?

Wisk is expensive, but it's the best stuff that I have found to clean collars, stains, etc.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Tail Feathers

Turkey Trot, try GOOP on those stains.  Removes grease and oil in the laundry better than anything else I've found.
You can get it at Harbor Freight are some auto parts stores.  It's a great handcleaner but does much more.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

blueribbon

We make our own I do like the smell. It is the same recipe I think. It does save you some money!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: blueribbon on May 06, 2011, 04:32:50 PM
We make our own I do like the smell. It is the same recipe I think. It does save you some money!!

You bet.  I just got done making another 3 gal batch.  I made another one a couple days ago.  So that's 6 gallons I have ready on top of what I have jugged up.  I won't need any for quite awhile. 

And I can tell you in that video I think it said it cost $8 for 80 loads or a 5 gallon bucket.  That's not correct.  You probably can make two 5 gal buckets for less than that. 

Bonjour

Will this work in a high efficiency washing machine, because they recommend different detergents? Thanks for the recipe Brad, I might try it out.  :you_rock:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Bonjour on May 06, 2011, 05:38:29 PM
Will this work in a high efficiency washing machine, because they recommend different detergents? Thanks for the recipe Brad, I might try it out.  :you_rock:

Yep!