turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

4-28-11 Double

Started by RBC, May 04, 2011, 09:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBC

My 8 year old and I were able to double up on some turkeys I'd been hunting for a few days. For one reason or another (mostly miscalculations on my part) I'd failed to shoot one of them. I'm glad now that it worked out like it did.

They gobbled twice on the roost. Then we set up in the area where I should've set up the other days I hunted these birds. After a while they gobbled on top of the hill we were watching. I gave a few soft calls. The next thing you know there is two longbeards strutting over the hill. They see the decoys and start doing the "mean walk" towards them. Now he had told me earlier (since we knew these two birds were in the area) that if two came in we would do the "1,2,3,SHOOT" thing. Well, these gobblers get almost to the decoys and my son doesn't wait for the countdown. He doesn't even wait for "1". He shoots. i see his go down and I try to get on the other as he's running away. I shoot and miss. He comes back to my son's downed bird. I shoot and miss again. Then the gobbler walks away from his bird and over in front of me and I kill him. I guess he didn't know what to think with all of the loud booms, pellets flying by, and me pumping that 870.

Anyhow, it worked out great and we were excited to say the least.
His bird was bigger than mine: 20.30 lbs. 11-1/4" beard and 1" spurs.
Mine was : 17.65 lbs. 10-1/4" beard and 1" spurs.

bowhunter84

great story!   congrats on the memories and the birds!

turkey slayer

Thats awesome! Thats one yall will never forget congrats to both of yall!

Basser69

Congrats on a great double! Gotta love kids ! ! !  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

a-j calls

Well done fellows !!, That's a great looking hunting team..

harvester

congrats on two good birds

Wrangler95

:anim_65: :anim_65:

Very nice going,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Hognutz

Congrats for the double with your son. It doesn't get much better than that..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hobbes

Congrats to both of you!  

Gobble!

Congrats
Those spurs look bigger than 1"
:jackson:

RBC

Quote from: turkey slayer on May 04, 2011, 09:57:17 AM
Thats awesome! Thats one yall will never forget congrats to both of yall!

I don't think we'll forget it. He likes telling that story, especially the part about it taking his Daddy 3 shots to kill one turkey!

cannonball

That's fantastic, congrats! :z-guntootsmiley:

WiLL B

trkycaller

Spellnj3

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr