OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot call advice

Started by Wisgobbler, May 27, 2019, 06:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisgobbler

Folks, I'm hoping that I can tap the collective knowledge of this site. I'm looking to buy a new pot call.  I want a specialized call that will excell at cutting off a yelping hen, or inciting a fight with a boss hen. So my question is mostly about calling surfaces and or pot material. I know that this is a somewhat subjective topic but I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks does the best job of winding one of the old girls up good and tight? I've heard aluminum as well as stainless steel.
Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

I personally like a good quality crystal

zelmo1

I love to mimic a boss hen if she is being a jerk. I usually use a mouth call for it, if I can use my hands then a pot. Just take her temp and drive her batty  :turkey2:

Bay1985

Crystal mistress is one of my most reliable calls

Yoteduster

Pretty hard to go wrong with that one

Happy

For pot calls have always been a fan of a good crystal call when cutting and aggressive yelping. That's typically the sounds I use to try and get a hen mad. That being said and aluminum ain't bad either. It's just as much the Indian as the bow so I am hesitant to recommend calls. What I like you may not like.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ranger

Seems like the tone has more to do with sounding like a boss hen or a young hen than the surface, find old and raspy on slate just as well as crystal.  And the same for a young sounding hen.  I'd seek out the old sounding tone and make that the priority more than a particular surface.  Some folks say they carry multiple surfaces, I always want to have multiple tones.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Ranger

Also, old and boss hen sounding is almost always described as raspy. Should say I've heard a lot of hens that were no doubt the boss hens of their group and they had a very dull sound to their clucks and yelps.  A lot like when a pot call doesn't have a lot of rollover but really produces that THUMP in the back of your ear, they had that thump
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

tomstopper

A good crystal or glass are my favorites

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Ranger on May 27, 2019, 08:56:53 PM
Also, old and boss hen sounding is almost always described as raspy. Should say I've heard a lot of hens that were no doubt the boss hens of their group and they had a very dull sound to their clucks and yelps.  A lot like when a pot call doesn't have a lot of rollover but really produces that THUMP in the back of your ear, they had that thump
I would echo this statement in that often times the true boss hen sounds like someone running a trumpet. The THUMP is there for sure.

Ctrize

For what ever reason I have a hard time running a crystal and do better on a copper. Maybe some of the contest guys will chirp in here but your technique could have alot to do with the call you use. Do you yelp then pop the striker down to cluck or yelp and snap it to the side which gives a smoother shift from one call to another. The consistency of these moves can be determined by the surface you choose.

Spitten and drummen

I love a crystal. Hallorans twisted sister is my go to.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Wisgobbler

Kinda seems like the consensus is crystal and also made by David Halloran. I've been looking over his calls in one of the sound bytes on YouTube for the metal mouth 2 he remarks about the "thump" at the end of the Yelp from that particular call. I found that really interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

I'm also for crystal and I have a crystal mistress riding in my vest but don't overlook jimmy Shaffer his crystals are really good too!!!

howl

The sound is specific to the particular hen.