OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS VS LEAD

Started by Yoteduster, May 24, 2019, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoteduster

I can remember way back when they banned lead for waterfowl, what a mess that was for a couple years before they started producing some decent steel shot loads I know a few guys that gave up duck hunting because of that so I like to keep up on things

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yoteduster on May 26, 2019, 02:46:51 PM
I can remember way back when they banned lead for waterfowl, what a mess that was for a couple years before they started producing some decent steel shot loads I know a few guys that gave up duck hunting because of that so I like to keep up on things
Your right , no reason not to think ahead ....

NCL

Lead shot is now outlawed for shot and 7/1/2019 for bullets in California

bbcoach

Quote from: NCL on May 26, 2019, 07:26:28 PM
Not surprising from the LEFT coast!!!!!!

Yoteduster

Yep..and I can see it coming from several other states in the future

NCL

The interesting part about the law is dove and quail hunting are exempt from the ban, here is a quote from a Q&A on the DFW: "When hunting bighorn sheep, or when using a shotgun to hunt waterfowl or upland game birds (except for dove, quail, snipe and any upland game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs) you must use nonlead ammunition." I would think more lead shot is fired in one hour of dove season than years of turkey hunting. 

Spitten and drummen

No doubt. Its people in Legislature making laws that have no common sense. Another possibility is under the table dealing. Down here in Mississippi they passed a law allowing single shot rifles during primitive weapon season. The excuse was that it would increase the number of people hunting. Could be but found out that auto insurance companies had a hand is getting that law passed. They were tired of paying out deer/auto claims and like any good business , are finding ways to increase profits.Who knows , but the non use of lead for hunting is a joke in my personal opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 27, 2019, 10:02:56 AM
No doubt. Its people in Legislature making laws that have no common sense. Another possibility is under the table dealing. Down here in Mississippi they passed a law allowing single shot rifles during primitive weapon season. The excuse was that it would increase the number of people hunting. Could be but found out that auto insurance companies had a hand is getting that law passed. They were tired of paying out deer/auto claims and like any good business , are finding ways to increase profits.Who knows , but the non use of lead for hunting is a joke in my personal opinion.
There was a gun shop near me. There was a fellow there had some ducks. Daffy n Donald he called em. Each day he feed them he put lead shot in with their feed. They were already adults but one lived 7 years one 8 and that was directly injesting lead every day.
Not scientific and only two birds but maybe his were tougher than the ones where the laws against lead are?

mudhen

Quote from: NCL on May 27, 2019, 07:44:55 AM
The interesting part about the law is dove and quail hunting are exempt from the ban, here is a quote from a Q&A on the DFW: "When hunting bighorn sheep, or when using a shotgun to hunt waterfowl or upland game birds (except for dove, quail, snipe and any upland game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs) you must use nonlead ammunition." I would think more lead shot is fired in one hour of dove season than years of turkey hunting.

That was only during the phase in period...

All non-tox for all hunting with firearms starting July 1, 2019...

I don't think I've killed a turkey with lead in almost 20 years, non-tox just outperforms lead by such a wide margin...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on May 26, 2019, 07:48:20 PM
Quote from: NCL on May 26, 2019, 07:26:28 PM
Not surprising from the LEFT coast!!!!!!
I hate to say it bit with the dictator we have here in NY I am sure it will happen soon here as well. Hated his father and hate him even more. He is incredibly left wing. I want to see so called upstate succeed from NYC and they can keep Albany and Schenectady as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

owlhoot

Quote from: Bowguy on May 27, 2019, 10:38:45 AM
There was a gun shop near me. There was a fellow there had some ducks. Daffy n Donald he called em. Each day he feed them he put lead shot in with their feed. They were already adults but one lived 7 years one 8 and that was directly injesting lead every day.
Not scientific and only two birds but maybe his were tougher than the ones where the laws against lead are?
Out in the wetlands I would bet that tons more ducks are dying from wounding with steel shot than lead shot being ingested will ever be.

Bowguy

Quote from: owlhoot on May 27, 2019, 05:45:04 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on May 27, 2019, 10:38:45 AM
Out in the wetlands I would bet that tons more ducks are dying from wounding with steel shot than lead shot being ingested will ever be.

Guess that depends on who is doing the shooting. Few years I was doing harvest surveys for the state. I killed 147 ducks one year w steel. My buddy Jimmy was doing wing surveys. His number was lower this particular year since his son was born in December. Neither of us shoot chokes any fuller than ic, sometimes skeet.
Remember steel tends to tighten a pattern up but the point is the birds were shot in the face decoying at 10-15 yards. The effective range of the combo was way adhered to. Forgot to mention 20 ga at times were used.
Now did we lose birds? Any duck hunter will tell you it's tough not to but we had a dog, shot within effective range, quickly followed up/dispatched cripples. The loss was very minimal.
Some skybusting moron pass shooting woulda done lots worse.
So how do you regulate effective range? You can't. Every load has em though it varies with payload and shot type. We need to be careful before we shoot.
Your point is very valid though in some areas with some hunters I'm sure but it is somewhat avoidable

NCL

Quote from: mudhen on May 27, 2019, 04:03:11 PM
Quote from: NCL on May 27, 2019, 07:44:55 AM

That was only during the phase in period...

All non-tox for all hunting with firearms starting July 1, 2019...
I don't think I've killed a turkey with lead in almost 20 years, non-tox just outperforms lead by such a wide margin...

I checked this morning and Mudhen's information is more current. The Q&A quoted above is apparently old information although I could not find it to check the date. I did find DFW notes that indicate non-toxic will be required for all species effective 7-1-2019