OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS VS LEAD

Started by Yoteduster, May 24, 2019, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoteduster

Ok guys I've slinging lead at turkeys for over 40 years now and I doubt that I will change but if I did decide to try some tungsten out at around ten bucks a round which of these two would be the best punch for the bucks federal or apex I'm sure this has been dicussd on here before but I was just curious...thanks

bbcoach

IMO stick with lead if your shooting a 12 in 3 or 3 1/2.  TSS is the equalizer in 20 and 410.  Out to 40 yards and a little more we REALLY don't need anything else.  Federal and Apex are both good OTC TSS loads.  Handloading would allow you to fine tune if you desire.   :z-twocents:

fallhnt

I use Federal in my .410.  Lead in my 12

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

howl

If you're shooting them inside 40 with a 12 gauge, there is no reason to switch. If you want a smaller gun to do what the 12 has done, then TSS is worth the bucks.

Browning seems like the one to try.

Hobbes

Or....if you'd like to continue shooting a 12 but use ammo that doesn't stomp your guts out like a 3" or 3 1/2" lead turkey load but will still stomp a turkey at 40......put together 1 5/8 oz of TSS in a 2 3/4" shell.

yelpy

I don't know about anyone else but tss has saved my shoulder, neck and nose from being beat up. You can shoot a lighter load and kill them just as dead as you can with lead.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I've not tried it in the 12 gauge .. just 410 and 20 gauge ... but I've seen some good patterns with both federal and apex .... i guess i would get a box of each federal ? apex and try couple ... that's what i did with the 20 gauge .. but i'm still have several Federal HW 7 before i made the told switch to the new federal Tss or Apex...for the 20 gauge .... now with the 410 i liked the Apex little better ...

Spurs Up

Quote from: Hobbes on May 24, 2019, 05:24:59 PM
Or....if you'd like to continue shooting a 12 but use ammo that doesn't stomp your guts out like a 3" or 3 1/2" lead turkey load but will still stomp a turkey at 40......put together 1 5/8 oz of TSS in a 2 3/4" shell.

X2

Hook hanger

Quote from: Hobbes on May 24, 2019, 05:24:59 PM

This is what I would do if shooting a 12ga  may even lower the weight to 1.25oz  1 3/8oz keeps killing patterns well past what we can talk on here.

Hobbes

I should have added, that I killed them with lead with a 12 for better than 25 years.  So....TSS is definitely not necessary.  I've only used the last two years.  The reduction in recoil is my favorite part, but they are wicked.  I didn't go for insane patterns either, but a little more forgiving hunting pattern.

Bowguy

Idk guys the whole theory of a lighter kicking load seems weak to me. Idk if I've ever felt any gun go off while hunting. Some of you boys need to toughen up!! Just kidding.  Nowadays w the advent of lead sleds you won't get beat up patterning either.
I actually see the value in smaller gauges if that was your intent though.

Gooserbat

My answer is actually a question.  How tight of a choke does your gun have.  The federal tends to like extremely tight chokes while the Apex tends to get better results with stuff that's a little more open. 

I personally shoot 2 oz 2 3/4" handloads in my Benelli and 2oz 3" handloads and use a wad that's very similar to what Apex uses.  I use a .665 in both my guns and get patterns that are way over 300/10".  I can make it shoot tigher but I don't want a baseball sized pattern at 20 yards. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

2eagles

This worry about recoil surprises me. When the ducks and geese are flying, I might shoot a box of 3" shells a day. I'm talking about hunting in ND where the birds are plentiful. I used to use 3 1/2 for geese, now know they aren't necessary. I'd bet nobody worries about the kick when pulling the trigger once a day for turkeys.

runngun

TSS for ALL gauges for me! Except for 10 gauge which I use Nitro's.
Working on getting a 20 O/U and a 28 gauge for next year!
I already know that I will have an issue leaving My Ithaca Turkey slayer at home as it's my favorite 12 gauge.  Man I love that gun.

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Chordeiles

I use Federal.
It's not ten dollars a shot.
I can buy it locally for $32 a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk