turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what to do when turkeys don't gobble all season

Started by Hooksandspurs, May 13, 2019, 05:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksandspurs

My season has about a week left so not sure if I can get one but I was wondering what to do when turkey dont gobble all season. last year had turkeys gobbling their heads off but this year only had one turkey gobble good once.

appreciate any advice.

hooksandspurs

Bowguy

Never heard of birds never gobbling all season. Sounds like they may be elsewhere.

TrkyShepherd

Are you sure you have birds around? Did your pre season scouting tell you something different than you are seeing/hearing during the season? Can't kill them if they aren't around...

Some years are certainly more quiet it seems than others, just questions I'd be asking myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Are you sure there's still Gobblers in the area? I'd suggest finding another place to hunt if your season has a week left and nothing has gobbled probably not going to start. I have hunted a  whole season in La everyday for 5 weeks and only heard two or three Gobblers and they only gobbled a few times each. That was all the motivation I needed to start hunting other states.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

TrkyShepherd

I should say most of my season is before work. So I have to hunt a gobbling bird. Otherwise it's just me getting up early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Early mornings should be best for gobbling. If they haven't all season, move around till you find them. We had good gobbling in a spot till people saw us hunting there, they pounded it and they moved a little bit away from the fields. Better for you/us, keeps the lazy hunters away

MK M GOBL

Never had a season in the past 29 years that a bird never gobbled.

Now there are days or strings of days that birds don't gobble while I'm out hunting, when I'm not there I figure must be when they do all their gobbling. :)

But on days when they're not talking I set in known area's of where turkeys routinely visit, have killed birds just by being in right spot, right time and never touched a call.

I put a lot of time in to scouting and learn my birds.

MK M GOBL

ol bob

Turkeys do what turkeys do nothing you are anyone else can do about it.

Spitten and drummen

Hit public until you find one willing. They are out there.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

fallhnt

Move on. They even gobble in the Fall,so I would assume they are elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ejhandler

Agree with the others who suggest moving on. The birds are somewhere else if you have not heard a gobble all year. Been thru "ruts" where birds don't gobble for a day or two, sometimes more, and I know they are around. But I've never gone a whole season not hearing birds gobble on the roost.

REBELYELL

Greg Massey

Go to Kroger and buy Butterball .... no need to be without turkey meat regardless ....

Happy

Move and find turkeys that will at least gobble on the roost a time or two. It's been tough where I have been hunting to hear birds right now also. It's a combination of the Tom's being roosted with the hens as well as the fact that all of my hunting areas have been hit pretty hard for the last 4 weeks. Best I got off of the roost was two gobbles in three days of hunting. I was still able to get into Tom's. My suggestion is to first find some birds and then slow down. Forcing things usually doesn't turn out well.   The only pressure that exists in turkey hunting is that which you put on yourself. I have had to tell myself that a time or 3 as well. Relax, hunt smart and above all else enjoy yourself.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mikejd

I have only heard a birds gobble on the roste for years now. They rarely if ever gobble from the ground. I have not heard a gobble after 6 am in years. I know they are there so we just keep trying. Luck usually has to come into play at sometime.